Long time lurker

Started by Ghost21, January-28-19 17:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost21

Well, as a long time lurker,you guys have finally sucked me into the madness! So l have decided on buying a Pug. The light bulb finally clicked and I realized how practical this gun is. I find myself not carrying my j frame or baretta 92 as much as I would like. Wardrobe dictates what you can hide.
  The Pug seems to solve this problem. So the question I  have for you guys is, which sights do the majority of you have? Opinions? Any advice is welcome

Kimber1911

WELCOME to the MAD HOUSE  Long time lurker, but you know that already (that it's a Mad House). To answer your question,  the PugT has the best sights. It goes everywhere  with me,  except to bed.  The Wife draws the line there, but it is on my night stand.  LOL  REMEMBER  good Ammunition & practice and practice some more.          TTFN         R

Boisesteve

Howdy Ghost, and welcome.
My NAA is with me everywhere. Like you said, even smaller 'full-size' guns are too big to conceal sometimes, and if you're my size (5'7", 135 lbs) that would be much of the time. So my NAA  1 5/8" 22mag with oversize grips is the gun that's always with me so I never find myself needing one and it's at home in the nightstand because it's too big to carry and conceal today.
About sights, mine has the simple blade front sight that they offer on their basic revolvers. I practice at 7 yards and closer, aiming at 8 1/2" x 11' paper targets, or at similar size paper plates. I simply sight down the flat top of the revolver, put the front sight blade on top of what I want to hit, and fire. I aim to keep all 5 on the paper target, firing rapidly. For what this is, that's good enough for me.
Like has been said, practice until you are confident with it.
PS If possible, get one with a 22LR conversion cylinder and 22 mag.  Makes practice much more affordable.
PPS You don't have to have dozens of North Americans to be a part of this mad group, though some do. I only have four, but I've had one since the 80's and my carry piece since I think the early 90's. Welcome!
Steve in Boise

Bernie707

Quote from: Ghost21 on January-28-19 17:01
Well, as a long time lurker,you guys have finally sucked me into the madness! So l have decided on buying a Pug. The light bulb finally clicked and I realized how practical this gun is. I find myself not carrying my j frame or baretta 92 as much as I would like. Wardrobe dictates what you can hide

You hit the nail on the head - this is a gun you can always carry. This was the main reason I ordered mine. Welcome from going from lurking to joining the fray. The Pug is one the most popular minis on this forum. I take delivery of my LR model in a couple days and can't wait to talk it to the range.
If you're not swimming against the current you're being carried along with it.

Dinadan

Welcome, Ghost!

Regarding your question, I have the Tritium Sight. Whether it is any better than the White Dot sight I really do not know. Unless you are in a very low light environment I doubt it will ever matter to you.

In my opinion, getting a conversion model with a LR cylinder is a very good idea. But that is because I prefer shooting LR for fun. If you do not do much plinking then the LR option is not so important.

You mention wanting a Pug because you are not carrying your larger handguns. That is exactly the evolution I went through. I did my research and bought what I thought was the prefect concealed carry for me, a Ruger SP 101. It did not take long at all for me to decide that I needed a smaller handgun for carry. The Pug was my first of a few NAA Minis for me!

grayelky

Ghost21- Welcome

I much prefer the Tritium front sight. Bad guys rarely operate in good light. It is a huge aid if you can find your front sight. You did not ask, but ammo is also important. You will get a variety of answers. I suggest you do your own research so you can make an informed decision. I prelfeor Hornhady Critical Defense or Speer Gold Dot in 22 mag. The Hornady has a very slight advantage. Whatever you pick, a lot of practice will make you proficient and confident, so enjoy your choice!
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Uncle_Lee

Welcome Ghost,
Get what you want now.
More will come later.... ;D
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Ghost21

Thanks for everyone's response. Hopefully  I can get up to my gun shop this weekend. I have already picked up some ammo (gold dot, critical defense,and some maxi mags). I'am leaning towards the tritium sights, eyes aren't what they used to be!
    I totally agree with practice what you carry. None of my guns get carried until I have ran 200-300 rounds in a gun, and a weeks worth of dry fire training to work out the quirks of drawing from concealment to presentation.
    Does anyone here have/use Desert gun leathers iwb holster with the utiliclip? Appendix carry is my preferred method for small guns.

Warthog

WELCOME GHOST!

You are sure to find madness here, just drink you coffee, I don't, and jump in where you think it needed.  As for the rest of the stuff in your post, no oneever care much for what I suggest.  I am sure the "experts" here will get you on the right track. ::)

Edited to add: just a few more post to get to 15 and the annoying CAPTCHA stuff needed before your post can then wait to get approved will  go away.  Got to the TEST forum and do a little posting there, this seems to be the best way to get off probation.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Honky Tonk Man

Welcome Ghost!!  Glad to have you aboard.  You can't go wrong with a Pug.  Mine has the "T" (Tritium) sights as well night-time social work.  Don't forget to squirrel away some money for a quality holster.  As a lurker, you're probably familiar with Rick's line-up at desertgunleather.com  He has lots of choices, and his designs are well thought out, and top quality. 

Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

top dog

Ghost,
Welcome to the forum.  Like one of the above posts said,you can have the tritium night sights or the standard sights,it should not really make much of a difference.  I have two PUGs,one with the night sights the other w/o. In reality,it makes no real difference.

Good move on a 22lr extra cylinder,lets you practice much more frequently.

I have a feeling that your next mini will either be a Black Widow or a 22lr.........probably both.

Top Dog

Ruger

Hey . . . . Ghost . . . .WELCOME to the Forum!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

grayelky

RE: Dessert Gun Leather:
I have several of his holsters, just not the one you mentioned. I have the belt slide for my Black Widow and Mini Master, and several of his pocket sleeves. They are just a piece of leather sewn around the little revolver, giving the least amount of bulk, yet protecting the gun from lint, etc. It will also keep your pocket from wearing so bad. I have 3 of those I use regularly. The 2 belt holsters are both very well made and fit quite well. I do not hesitate to recommend his products.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Warthog

Ghost, Desert Gun Leather does make a fine holster, whether for the belt or the pocket.  rick is a good guy too and will make it to your specs so you will love it. :)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

RICKS PLACE

Hi Ghost, welcome.  I have the "T" sight on my Pug and, my eyes are not what they use to be. Frankly, in my case, the "T" sight does not help all that much.  May do better for you.  Red model paint on the front sight of my 8 year old B/W has done more for my eyes than anything else. Tried the new white dot sights on a new B/W, still not great.  Gave it to my grandson when he got his carry license for a birthday present.  Still carry the old B/W.  Might check out both the white dot and "T" Pug if your store have both.  Of course, the "T" sight might help you to locate the Pug on a night stand if the room is dark.  Whatever, you can't go wrong with your Pug choice. 

RogueTS1

Welcome to the madness. LOL
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

WarrenW

I recommend you get the Black Widow Oversized Grip for your Pug. Fits my hand so much better.

Ghost21

Between work and having the in-laws for the week, I don't know if I can sneak off to the gun shop. I do like the idea of the black widow grips. I'll have to see how the pug fits in my hand. As always, the cart ahead of the horse-I stocked up on a lot of the top forum recommend 22mag ammo, but haven't found the time to get the gun.

KEN AR

Welcome,
Glad to have you join us.  I have a Black Widow I now carry.  I started of with a 1 5/8 Magnum (son in law has it now).
He and I both are surprised how much the other guns stay home now and the NAA seem to always be in the pocket or in a holster made by Desert Gun Leather.

Grips do make a big difference in the way you hold and control the pistol.  I had Revision CV grips on and just put their new style G-10 material grips on.  Going to shoot it tomorrow, it feels much more secure with the new grips.

I gave the 1 5/8 Mag to my son in law because they had a problem with Copperheads on their property.  These things are snake killing machines with the CCI Shot Shells in the Magnum.

Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

Uncle_Lee

Dog gone Ken, I love that picture....
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

RogueTS1

Just tell everyone you have to go out to fill the car up with fuel ................ then pull into the Gun Shop for a few minutes to take care of business.  ;)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.