Why no after market or factory extended round magazines?

Started by ttboy, June-07-19 08:06

Previous topic - Next topic

ttboy

I am a proud owner of a Guardian 380 acp I also have its baby brother in 32acp was wondering why no extended 7 round magazines,  I know NAA sells a 10 round magazine but that would be too much for CCW Ruger makes a 7 rounder for their LCP. Also I would like too see a Guardian in 22lr 

bearcatter

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I've got a Guardian 32.

The Guardian mags already hold six, a seventh round wouldn't be much of a gain in supply. It would give some people the needed room for extra grip. The extended mag base is intended to do that, but doesn't work for me with the 32. With the flat mag base I have enough grip for 1 1/2 fingers. The extension gives a tight fit for a whole second finger, and the pressure on the angled extension just strains the magazine latch. At least one member has had mags pop loose using the extended base. If the extension's front followed the line of the grip it would work much better for me.

There is a thread that includes using Pearce mag extensions, meant for a Beretta Tomcat, on the Guardians. Two good photos. The front is more vertical, so they make work better for some. I haven't tried them; I want to keep my Guardian as small as possible.

https://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=14281.0

I agree with you on a .22LR Guardian. I'd buy one in a New York minute.... :D
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

autofull

plus, you need to make something that about 80 percent like and buy or it just will not be made.

RICKS PLACE

A guess and speaking for myself.  Both guns are strictly pocket carry and no extra budge.  While it don't seem like much, a longer mag does take up more space.  A spare mag in a different pocket should be plenty for most social problems.  Any longer mag seems too much for me.

bearcatter

Quote from: RICKS PLACE on June-07-19 14:06
A guess and speaking for myself.  Both guns are strictly pocket carry and no extra budge.  While it don't seem like much, a longer mag does take up more space.  A spare mag in a different pocket should be plenty for most social problems.  Any longer mag seems too much for me.

NAA's goal on both Guardians was for them to be as small as possible. The grip is adequate for most, and mag extensions allow optional length. Some other makers go for an extra round or two, and miss that optimal size.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

grayelky

Bottom line: the potential market is too small to support an "after market" company's interest.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

bearcatter

NAA's mags are made by Mec-Gar in Italy, but not offered on the Mec-Gar website. I'd suppose they could offer other sizes, don't know their arrangement with NAA.

bill_deshivs

bearcatter

By his wording, I'd guess the OP is more concerned with an extra round than more grip length. The grip on his 380 is 1/3 inch longer than his 32, but he doesn't mention the difference. Most can get a full two fingers on it without an extended base.