How accurately can you shoot a Black Widow vs. a Pug?

Started by toasterburn, August-19-19 13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

toasterburn

I owned a Pug for a while, it was beautifully made gun that was crazy easy to carry, but I was a laughably bad shot with it. (I'm not blaming the gun, I know some people shoot them very well, I'm just not one of those people.)

I miss how light it was to carry though, so I've begun wondering how a Black Widow compares? Seems the larger grip and longer barrel would have to translate to better shot placement, but is it going to make a huge difference or a slight one? (My local range doesn't have any to test.)

Dinadan

I have a pug and a Black Widow. I have never been as good a freehand shot as several folks here on the forum, but here is my take. I am substantially more accurate with the Black Widow than with the Pug. The longer sight radius of the BW really makes a difference for me.

I have read a report that when the guns are clamped in a  vise, a Pug shoots just as small a group as the BW. So for a fellow with hands and arms as steady as steel, the guns might be equally accurate. Not for me. It has been a while since I took both the Pug and the BW out to the range, so I am not going to say just how much more accurate I am with the BW, but it is a substantial difference.

zburkett

On my 1 5/8" mini with a fiber optic front sight (added) I can hit a 45 case at ten feet three times out of five shots when I practice.  That is better than I can do with my 1 5/8" that I have just painted the front sight orange.

Bigbird48

Canoeal

Quote from: Bigbird48 on August-19-19 18:08
You should do much better with the BW :)

He is right. I chose the BW, and have been very happy with it. I don't have or want a Pug, So I can't compare the two.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

KEN AR

I think larger, or rather longer grips help.  The Black Widow is accurate for me.  I have shot with both Black Widow grips and the CVANG Revision grips.  CVANG are longer but not as bulky as the rubber Black Widow grip.

I do like my Black Widow.  Have 1 5/8" Mini also but the Black Widow is with me every day now.

Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

toasterburn

So, I saw a good deal on a Black Widow this morning at my LGS and went ahead and bought it. Quick trip out to the range and... I shoot it soooooo much better than my old Pug! I can consistently hit 6" plates at 30 ft and that's good enough for me. Definitely a keeper.

Now I just need to find the right holsters...

Bigbird48

Quote from: toasterburn on August-20-19 10:08
So, I saw a good deal on a Black Widow this morning at my LGS and went ahead and bought it. Quick trip out to the range and... I shoot it soooooo much better than my old Pug! I can consistently hit 6" plates at 30 ft and that's good enough for me. Definitely a keeper.

Dinadan

Quote from: toasterburn on August-20-19 10:08

Good to see that the BW meets your desires!

zburkett

I have a mini with a folding holster grip and one with a Black Widow grip.  The Widow is easier to shoot and the floppy wobbler is a lot easier to carry.  The pistol in you pocket is always better than the one at home in the sock drawer. 

KEN AR

Congrats on the Black Widow.  I think many here agree it is the best of the bunch for all around use.
What can I say on holsters.  Go quality and try to wear it out rather than cheap and throw it into the box of ones that did not work or hold up long.  Comfort is primary as you will find the Widow going with you all the time.
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

riadat

i took my 1.5 inch 22 lr out to the range and was getting good groups at 3 and 7 yards and 4 out of 5 hits on torso at 10 yards.

The actual stock sights on the regular naa are pretty accurate.  They just have a different sight picture.

I take a two hand hold at longer ranger if possible. 

RogueTS1

So toaster; does your Pug have the stock grips or have they been upgraded to Secret Service Grips as found on the BW? They truly make a difference.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

rattlehead

Quote from: RogueTS1 on August-23-19 08:08
So toaster; does your Pug have the stock grips or have they been upgraded to Secret Service Grips as found on the BW? They truly make a difference.

This. Grip makes all the difference in the world.