Mini Master new grips and painted sights

Started by JWL79, August-02-19 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

JWL79

Install CV grips G10 black & gray and painted sights with glow in the dark paint. The grips make the gun look awesome. I was sceptical of the glow paint but it works surprisingly well. I painted the back green and front in their original color which is basically white. The white color glows brighter than the green, so it's easier to make out the front.  Charged the paint for 20 sec and they were still glowing a hour later. Glows brighter than tritium for at least an hour.

ToddinAz

I've used strontium aluminate (glow powder) on a few of my pistol's sights and really like it. I mix it with a catalyzed clear and dab a drop over the white dots. My Shield 9mm is one of the first pistols I did a few years ago, and it's held up real well. Never tested it to see how long it'll stay glowing, but have checked it after two or three hours after sun exposure just to find it still glowing bright. Here's a picture I just took of the sights after a one minute of florescent light exposure in my workshop. This is only about two-thirds as bright as they'll get.

smokeless joe

Welcome JWL79 I've got a set of those grips on one of my Black Widows. Toss up a pic and let's have a look see. Probation sucks but hang in there it'll be over before you know it.

Canoeal

Quote from: JWL79 on August-02-19 18:08
Install CV grips G10 black & gray and painted sights with glow in the dark paint. The grips make the gun look awesome. I was sceptical of the glow paint but it works surprisingly well. I painted the back green and front in their original color which is basically white. The white color glows brighter than the green, so it's easier to make out the front.  Charged the paint for 20 sec and they were still glowing a hour later. Glows brighter than tritium for at least an hour.

With no tritium available I too painted the glow sights. No CV grip though, my own...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

grayelky

JWL79-
Welcome to the forum!

If you have a "black light", charge your glow in the dark paint with it. You will be surprised at how much brighter they are, and how much longer they will glow. The elements that make them glow are particularly susceptible to black light. Check on eBay and Amazon and you will find flashlights in the cheap range.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

smokeless joe

Quote from: Canoeal on August-04-19 09:08

With no tritium available I too painted the glow sights. No CV grip though, my own...
CA (Canoe Al) grips. I really like the color you chose for that set Al.

Bj

The picture of the sights also shows how the cylinder should look when the hammer is in a safety notch.

Canoeal

Quote from: smokeless joe on August-04-19 14:08
Quote from: Canoeal on August-04-19 09:08

CA (Canoe Al) grips. I really like the color you chose for that set Al.

Local leftover boat shop Walnut...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

JWL79

Quote from: grayelky on August-04-19 14:08
JWL79-
Welcome to the forum!

If you have a "black light", charge your glow in the dark paint with it. You will be surprised at how much brighter they are, and how much longer they will glow. The elements that make them glow are particularly susceptible to black light. Check on eBay and Amazon and you will find flashlights in the cheap range.

You are right uv flashlights work great on glow particles. I have a few uv lights we use when I play disc golf at night with my friends. I used a flashlight to charge them since that is likely what I would use when I carry.

JWL79

Quote from: ToddinAz on August-03-19 14:08
I've used strontium aluminate (glow powder) on a few of my pistol's sights and really like it. I mix it with a catalyzed clear and dab a drop over the white dots. My Shield 9mm is one of the first pistols I did a few years ago, and it's held up real well. Never tested it to see how long it'll stay glowing, but have checked it after two or three hours after sun exposure just to find it still glowing bright. Here's a picture I just took of the sights after a one minute of florescent light exposure in my workshop. This is only about two-thirds as bright as they'll get.

That looks great. Its suprising how long that stuff glows. I was sceptical based on my memory of toy that glowed from my childhood which seemed to not last long. But this new stuff is great.