Happy range report

Started by blitzkrieger, October-18-12 18:10

Previous topic - Next topic

blitzkrieger

Just a few minutes ago I was with my wife and daughter at our desert hills range 5 minutes from our house.
With intentions of expansion testing between Gold Dot and Winchester PDX1 out of my Beretta 85FS .380, I had filled 3 (approx) 2 gal kitty litter jugs (from Costco) with water. These jugs are are about twice as thick as a standard 1 gal milk jugs but slightly wider. Firing range: approximately 15 feet.
First shot I decided to hit it with my .22lr mini with CCI Velocitors, fired one round then quickly grabbed my .380 and fired one round of the PDX1 followed with one round of the Gold Dot then another PDX1.
To my extreme surprise, all 3 .380 rounds made an impression on the back side of the first jug without penetrating but had exceptional expansion. What surprised me even more was the fact that the one .22 Velocitor I fired penetrated the first two jugs, exited the second jug and bounced off the third never to be seen again.
Standard milk jug measures 5 3/4" wide, kitty litter jug measures 7 1/2" wide. Going back out in the morning to retry test with mini + Velocitors and FMJ .380 for penetration.
This is getting interesting.

capn

Blitzkreiger, we'll definitely want to hear about your follow-up testing. Good info.

Uncle_Lee

Yes, I also would like to know what the outcome was.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

blitzkrieger

I was unfortunately call back out to work and was unable to do a follow up. Next time I am home I will resume.

doid

"We" all know the potential of .22 ammo... let's leave all the Rambo gun toters laughing at us for carrying an NAA.

One day when "they" see the potential, the lightweight ease of concealability... the fun and $$ savings shooting .22, the cost of .22 ammo will be as high as the rest of the overpriced calibers.

Then everything will be a self defense round and cost three times what it should.

With all the bigger calibers I have to carry, I find the NAA's going out with me more often than the rest.

Shot placement is everything

RogueTS1

Here is a quick video response to the lethality of the .22lr round out of a pistol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHXzX8T5ew

this one reported to be using subsonic rounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOB8mp_cmgs
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.