1911; Some Parts New To Me, Other Parts Are From The Junk Drawer

Started by Rick_Jorgenson, March-06-22 17:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_Jorgenson

A couple of years ago I was asked by a good friend to sell his Gun Collection, Reloading Gear, and Miscellaneous Gun Stuff.  The collection also included his fathers Guns and Reloading Gear and parts. He didn't want to go through the motions trying to sell guns in CA (he lived in Somis CA) so I "inherited" the lot with instructions to sell.

As items sold I would get together with him and give him an envelope. His instructions for after he passed was to make sure the cash went to a woman he dated some time ago so... thats what I've been doing. Every couple months I go to Ventura CA, stay at a friends house and visit and take an envelope to "Marie".

It's a win/win for me  ;) I have an excuse to get out of Phoenix and visit friends  :)  Sorry for the long Story  :o but hang in there!

This 1911 is partially from Parts his father had in a bucket. There are several more barrels, slides and Magazines for 1911's;  A couple are .22's with 4 .22 Colt marked Magazines, a couple for .38 Super and Magazines, and a couple .45acp set ups.

I wanted to build a 1911 from as many of this bucket of parts as I could. I needed a frame and this is from Brownells and a couple other small parts and new springs. The grips are old plastic grips that had a number 21 painted on, I was able to clean off some of it.

It looks terrible but I kind of like it this way  :o lol!! The slide is a Colt and the barrel still looks good (has lands & grooves.) lol!

A friend that has built 1911's is going to take a look at it to see it needs some "tuning up" before I go shoot it.

As far as "coating" it... The slide has some pits I'm sure will always show. I thought about using automotive paint and doing some custom colors, candy's, pearls (my background is custom auto body and paint)

I might just leave it as is like a "Rat Rod" but in the gun world  ;)
https://www.pinterest.com/OCROADKILL/rat-rods/

I'm open for suggestions for finishes or not to bother just run it as is!
Rick Jorgenson

bearcatter

Honestly, the new frame kind of kills the look. The rest of the gun has a nice patina.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: bearcatter on March-06-22 21:03
Honestly, the new frame kind of kills the look. The rest of the gun has a nice patina.
I agree, I'll use it for a while as is, use it for a dummy gun to mold Holsters with!  It is kind of "Mad Max" looking  ;)

When I was building Roping Bits I used Barrel Brown to patina them. Maybe just do the frame and let it wear some.

Thanks for looking!

Rick Jorgenson

RogueTS1

Checker the front strap and rear mainspring, Add a speed bump grip safety and some better sights and then run her as she sits. She looks really good.  8)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

KEN AR

Anyone looking at it should realize that the new frame is due to you having shot it so much the first frame wore smooth out.

"Be cautious of the man with only one gun as he will know how to use it well!"

I like it.  What kind of person would have a bucket full of old parts lying around...
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

bearcatter

Some of my parts stashes could almost build complete guns. Mostly new, a few old of the parts that see little or no wear. With a frame and slide, I could make another Guardian.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: RogueTS1 on March-07-22 09:03
Checker the front strap and rear mainspring, Add a speed bump grip safety and some better sights and then run her as she sits. She looks really good.  8)
Thank you  :D I kind of like the patina, the frame will just have to catch up! lol!! New sights will need to be later, it will need some machine work to "dove tail" the slide.
The rear is textured. There was "Skateboard" grip tape on my Kimber when I first got it, it was kind of rough on my soft, doughy, squishy fingers  ;) so I peeled that off and been good ever since.  I do miss the "speed bump" on the grip safety I have gotten used to that option on the Kimber 1911 I shot for a year and a half  ;)
Quote from: KEN AZ on March-09-22 18:03
Anyone looking at it should realize that the new frame is due to you having shot it so much the first frame wore smooth out.

"Be cautious of the man with only one gun as he will know how to use it well!"

I like it.  What kind of person would have a bucket full of old parts lying around...
lol!! A person like you (and now I) It's an illness! lol!! But fun when you can assemble something out of spare parts!  ;)
Quote from: bearcatter on March-09-22 18:03
Some of my parts stashes could almost build complete guns. Mostly new, a few old of the parts that see little or no wear. With a frame and slide, I could make another Guardian.
It's good to have spares. You have everything organized like a true professional. These parts were found in coffee cans! lol! 

But I was glad to build this one. There are more but I would need a few more frames  :o

Rick Jorgenson

bearcatter

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on March-09-22 21:03

It's good to have spares. You have everything organized like a true professional. These parts were found in coffee cans! lol! 

But I was glad to build this one. There are more but I would need a few more frames  :o

I've known of too many guns becoming paperweights for lack of a single part. Sometimes just hard to find, sometimes never found.
And it's nice to already have one when needed, instead of order and wait. You still order one to replace the one you used. With the parts most likely to be needed, I try to keep 2 or 3 spares.
Most of the parts never get used, but you never know which those might be.