Introduction - Small Pocket Carry

Started by Rapalyea, February-01-14 14:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapalyea

I live in the N. Georgia Mountains and have been packing mouse guns since Keltec sold their first 3AT.  I have had two of those and they are dead reliable on the first magazine. But won't hold up to extended range use. Needs cleaning after 30 rounds and will fall appart before 750 rounds.

Then I got a Khar .380 which is one hell of a well made piece. It will hold up and is reliable out to at least 100 rounds before cleaning.  But I can't shoot either of the .380s  I cant get on paper with the Keltec and it took 400 rounds in the Khar before I was beginning to get the feel for it. But would probably need another 1,000 rounds to feel comfortable.

The little Black Widow just shoots straight. The combination of grip and angle make it easy to put on target. However, it needs regular cleaning and oil. I neglected it for about six months and it would not rotate the cylindar because the center pin got corroded to the cylinder. BEWARE OF THIS.

And as stated below I am convinced the LR Aquilla 60gr is way the best round for this gun. But am open to other opinions.

ikoiko

Good that you know it needs a certain amount of cleaning to be reliable for carry use. Am certain you are upping its maintenance.

If you tire of the rubber grips, CVang grips aren't as bulky and give a good purchase. 2ยข

Rapalyea

ikoiko

Yeah maintenance.  Really really important. If the entire gun were stainless it might have been different. However, the cylinder rod and assembly seem to be steel and are dissimilar metals to the rest of the stainless gun, including the cylindar rod tube. Anyway, it was negligence on my part.

I must give Keltec a nod on this one. My Keltec 3AT was sitting loaded in battery, closed up and unused for the better part of a year in my safe.  Ran its full magazine without a hickup. Revolvers, I thought, were immune to malfunction. Dumb ass me.

As for the grips they are just right and make a better shooter out of me. Not that hard to do, I know.

grayelky

Quote from: Rapalyea on February-01-14 14:02
I live in the N. Georgia Mountains...
Otherwise known as The Promised Land.

I have had a KelTec .32 since they came out. I have never shot more than 200 or 300 rounds at any given range session. They are not intended as a range gun, rather as a carry gun. Within their intended use, I feel they are superb. No argument the Khar is a much nicer weapon on all points except one: carry. In my humble opinion, the KT blows it away. I have not checked lately, but I suspect you can buy 2 KTs for the price of 1 Khar.

Try cutting a piece of bicycle inner tube and slipping over the grip of the KT. Use a razor to trim to fit. It is inexpensive and if you slip while trimming, cut it off and try again. Also try it on your Khar. It will give you a much different feel, and a better grip. Your shooting will likely improve, as all of the light weight pocket pistols are hard to control.

I do not yet have a BW I can shoot, but it is n my "one day" list. I suspect I will like it when I get around to adding one to the stable.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"