Earl 4" vs Mini Master for plinking, and sight picture / accuracy questions

Started by SV24, February-01-17 12:02

Previous topic - Next topic

SV24

Hey guys, I've been eyeing the NAA minis for quite some time, and have never really been sure which I like best. I have my CCW permit and carry a Glock 43, so my desire for an NAA revolver is not for the CCW role (I'm actually debating moving up to a double stack for CCW), but I've always just found them really cool, and I've always liked revolvers. At this point, I want one just as a versatile plinker - I like the idea of being able to shoot .22LR basically for free, .22 Colibri's in more residential backyard type areas, and .22 magnum if I want to go for some distance.

I've always loved the look of the Sheriff, but the Earl series has finally grown on me - I'm kind of between the Earl 4" and the Mini Master at this point (but would consider the 3", or even the Sheriff) - I want something that is at least as accurate in my hands as my G43 - I think I would need the 4" sight radius to get there, right? Am I correct in thinking that the 4" Earl and Mini Master are considerably more shootable than the Sheriff and 3" Earl? Again, I don't need to conceal with any regularity, so I may as well go for the added velocity and accuracy of the 4" models (the hogleg seems a bit much, but 4" seems good).

I have very good eyesight - is the "sharper" sight picture of the Earl just as good to target shoot with as the larger sights on the Mini Master, or is the MM still considerably better for accurate shooting just because the sights are larger? I plan to eventually put CV grips on either of the guns, so assuming the same grip, can you get about the same accuracy from both the 4" Earl and Mini Master with their different sights?

In summary, I want a .22 combo revolver to plink with, and I don't need the tiny size of the smaller mini's. However, I want a gun that is as shootable / accurate as my G43 when I take my time, and similar in shootability to like a Ruger Bearcat or Heritage Rough Rider. Do the 4" Earl and Mini Master fit this bill? Sorry for the long post!

Also, if anybody wants to add some pics of both / either MM and Earl 4", sight picture, grips etc, go for it!

grayelky

I currently do not have a mini master or a 4" Earl that I shoot. I do have a 3" Earl that is my preferred plinking mini. I was able to hit a dime, a nickel and a quarter at a distance of about 30'. I have been shooting handguns for a touch over 46 years, so I am not a novice. If I were picking one of the 2 you named, I would likely start with the 4" Mimi master. I think it would make a great "bug out bag" gun, as well as an all around pinker. I like the design of the Earl better, but the fixed sights of the MM would likely lend it to more hits, more often quicker (in the learning curve) than the Earl. You would eventually shoot either one equally well, I happen to feel the sights on the MM gives it an advantage.

Not that you asked, but the sooner you get a standard mini, the sooner you will learn it is a fantastic companion to your EDC, not a replacement. When I was an active LEO, deputies would ask how many guns I carried, when I handed them my mini (#4). My answer was, and remains, one more than I think I may need.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

seaotter

I think you would be happy with any of the mini's you listed, but I would encourage you to consider a Black Widow, as well. It won't be as accurate as your Glock, unless you shoot it better than I do! But it is a great plinker, and it would give the option of pocket carrying it when you can't easily carry your Glock. I bought mine because it was listed as the best "over all choice" for a mini, and it has proven so for me. I suspect that with the fixed sights it would still more accurate for most people than any of the Earls.  I can certainly shoot it as well as a Rough Rider.

zburkett

For what its worth, I carry a I 5/8'' mini with CCI quite on the farm and put in mag for social carry.  I can hit empty AK brass 3 out of 5 times at 10' and bounce them every time.  That said, my 3" Earl with Black Widow grips has replaced my Ruger single six as my favorite plinking pistol.  In my experience, the grip has more to do with accuracy than anything else with any NAA revolver.  With the stock grip I have trouble hitting anything at contact range.  With the holster grip I am snake head accurate at snake ranges and with a BW grip I'm better.  The difference between a 1 5/8" mini and my 3" Earl is how careful I am, not sight radius.

grayelky

SV24-
Please forgive my lack of manners.
I just now noticed this is your first post. WELCOME aboard!

SV24

Thanks for the welcome grayelky!

So I'm getting some mixed feedback here - it sounds like most people DO prefer the fixed sights on the BW / MM, and I'm being encouraged to still consider carrying the NAA, which I'm not opposed to doing - I looked up the BW vs MM ballistics charts (both magnum) here last night and was very surprised to see that the two are very close in velocity.... I'm thinking maybe it was a fluke? Or maybe I was tired and not seeing the differences clearly, I'll take another look today. If I'm not going to gain much velocity in the 4" vs the 2" BW, and I'm somewhat gathering that the 2" BW sights are capable of shooting just as well as the larger Earl's (not sure if this is actually the case across the board, or more of a your-mileage-may-vary type thing), I'd reconsider the BW.... I really like the look of the Sheriff too though.... And just like that, back to square one. <-- This is the thought process that delays me from buying one of these - I talk myself in circles lol

Uncle_Lee

Welcome SV24,
Yes, I think the 4" Earl or the Mini Master will fill your bill just fine.
One (or two) each would be better.. :D

Pictures please.
We love pictures.... 8)
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

grayelky

Typically speaking, a longer barrel creates a longer sight radius, which makes for a smaller margin of error the further the target is from the barrel. A long winded way of saying you will get more hits on target with the longer barrel. Until you do a lot of shooting, and get used to either one.

bleak_window

I love my Black Widow and think the Pug/BW/MM series is the best.  I'm not crazy about the looks of the Earl series, but like you, I love the look of the Sheriff.  The 3" Earl would be a consideration, too.  I think if you really have no intent to carry it, the Mini Master might allow you to wring the most practical accuracy out of the platform.  I do think the fixed sight Mini Master would still be very easy to carry concealed if you ever felt the need. 

One question I would ask about buying the Sheriff or Earl:  Will you keep the boot grips on there when shooting or will you look for greater accuracy by using BW grips or the large rosewoods, or custom grips?    They might spoil the look of the Sheriff somewhat, if that matters.  Of course you can always put the boot grips back on for photos or fondling. 

You might also consider which barrel length allows your eyes to see both the front and rear sights in sharpest focus. 

Finally, a request to NAA to make a 3" Black Widow.  Or even a 2.5" BW.  Make 1000 of each.  I'll buy 2.

grayelky

bleak_window

Canoeal

If you have a wish list, mine would be the tritium Pug sights on a BW...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Canoeal

Quote from: SV24 on February-02-17 07:02
Thanks for the welcome grayelky!
I looked up the BW vs MM ballistics charts (both magnum) here last night and was very surprised to see that the two are very close in velocity.... I'm thinking maybe it was a fluke?

Yeah, something is off there for sure...4" barrels should be about 1350 from a 22 mag. and 1050  from a 2" 22 mag...Based on all the gun tests I've seen.

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke