21 (58.3%)
depends on the gun (explain)
8 (22.2%)
Does not matter to me
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: November-26-17 12:11

Bigbird48

I'd like to know which Cylinders  people prefer and why.

PaducahMichael

Fluted cylinders are better looking in my opinion. Probably goes to my love of western revolvers.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

cbl51

I think fluted is just more traditional. In a revolver, I like traditional. Colt frontier army, S&W model 10 and model 36 Chief's Special, Colt Police Positive & detective special.

Would Sgt. Friday have a bull cylinder? ;D

Espresso4blood

I prefer the bull cylinder because they look modern and heavy duty

franco22

I usually prefer fluted cylinders but the bull cylinder looks good on some guns. I remember seeing a picture of a British Bulldog with a bull cylinder and ivory grips that was very cool.

Ruger

Fluted; i'm a traditionalist. 
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

heyjoe

for me it depends on the gun. i think a snub nosed N frame looks good with a bull cylinder. the revolver has to have a larger size frame.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Don73

+1 Depends on the gun. Saw below on a gunsmith site.

Unfluted is more traditional than fluted. You didn't start seeing fluted cylinders till the 1860's. Today, fluted is more common.

Bj

Maybe it's my memory but I can't seem to remember the pre-1860's non fluted tradition myself.  LOL.

Warthog

Fluted, I think they look better.  I have a few unfluted cylinders but the fluted ones just seem right to me.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

seaotter

Fluted. I just think it looks better.

kc

I like unfluted for the mag cylinder and fluted for the LR cylinder - obvious difference makes it easier to grab the one I want when walking out the back door to do some shooting.
Just aesthetics? I agree that it depends on the revolver. I think the BW looks a little better with the bull cylinder, but other models look better with the fluted cylinder. YMMV!

smokeless joe

It would seem that I am with the majority. Fluted for me.

Arts09

Fluted all the way. Not just in looks, but it's old school and cool!

glenn

I'm with KC .... I would like my mini to have a bull for the magnum.

~G
Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

Dinadan

I like the fluted best. More traditional for a western lover. But I agree with KC that it is nice having a bull cylinder for the magnum and fluted for the LR. 

OLD and GRUMPY

Fluted looks better but if the bad guy drops dead who cares.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

lign

I always thought I preferred fluted until I got my Super Companion. I love the bull cylinder on it. Seems like tradition would make it the other way around, but there's no accounting for personal taste!  ::)

Canoeal

Form follows function, bull cylinders add forward weight. Weight reduces muzzle flip; extra in the barrel, then bull cylinders. For me it is that simple. Spock would say "Bull cylinders are logical."
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

gsp1951

I think it depends on the revolver design. To my eye, the bull cylinder looks perfect on the Black Widow.

autofull

me, im a bull guy. love a bit more weight on my pugs. kevin .

mrmurl

I like the bull cylinders the best.  Just makes them look stronger and heavier.  Like the smooth look.
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

MR_22

I voted "Depends on the gun". For the most part, I prefer fluted cylinders, but some guns just look better without the flutes. I 'm not sure I have a criteria for which ones I like as bull cylinders, but sometimes I just like them. Some of the "huge" calibers I think look good with bulls, like .454-Casull or .500-S&W revolvers. And obviously ones intended for concealed carry should be fluted, to reduce weight.

Clare44man

I really (REALLY!) Wish I could buy a BW from the factory WITH a fluted cylinder!  If they had fit I would have swapped with my magnum.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

grayelky

As far back as I can remember, revolver cylinders have been fluted. It is als a little easier to tell if cylinder is in the safety notch with a fluted cylinder: there is no flute next to the top strap.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Bigbird48

you can just call Jessica tell her what you want and give her your FFL and its done or send mini in and ask for fluted they will do it

Quote from: Clare44man on November-20-17 16:11
I really (REALLY!) Wish I could buy a BW from the factory WITH a fluted cylinder!  If they had fit I would have swapped with my magnum.

Warthog

Quote from: Clare44man on November-20-17 16:11

I have a Black Widow with fluted and one without.  I am sure, as other have said, they can fix you up with what you want.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein