Midland shotgun

Started by seaotter, January-19-18 09:01

Previous topic - Next topic

seaotter

Since I can't have my mini(s) on me when I am in Maryland, I have been exploring other options. I was looking at AR7s, but they just seem a little bit too fragile for what is basically going to be a "trunk gun". I have always liked the simplicity and adaptability of single shot 12 gauges. I have recently noticed that a company named "Midland" has started selling folding 12 gauge shotguns with 16 inch barrels and interchangeable chokes. Of more interest to me is that they are planning on selling center fire rifled barrels for it in several calibers, including .357 magnum. Since I already shoot 12 gauges and .357's (and .38s) all this sounds very attractive. Unfortunately I have never heard of Midland before, nor have I been able to find any reviews on it. Has anybody heard anything?

pietro

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

bill_deshivs

For clarification, the barrels are 18.5 inches, not 16".

Uncle Fatso

According to their specifications the 18" 12 gauge weighs 4.4 lbs.  I predict that it will kill at both ends.

glenn

"About" Midland ...
https://www.shootmidland.com/pages/about

I'm sure they are actually part of Navy Arms ... as I've gotten email from both ... when Midland's email was broken.

I bought a .410 & I think it's a pretty nice little gun for the money.
I see there's still no word on the centerfire or rimfire barrels.

Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

seaotter

I had been reading posts on the Highpoint (yes, I have a couple of them), and I got my barrel lengths mixed up. Obviously the carbine has the 16 inch barrel, not the shotgun! And I know that it will undoubtably kick, I have fired similar shotguns numerous times. Three shots of high brass and it will feel like your shoulder has been dislocated. I try to stick to low brass target rounds. While I would certainly like a break action shotgun (I haven't had one in years), it is the rifled barrels that really caught my attention. They are supposed to come out late summer. I think I will hold off until then to see if they really appear. Thanks Glenn for the review. You are the first person I know of who has actually owned one. It's encouraging to hear that aren't just junk!

glenn

I would say the quality is about on par with the Rossi Convertible break actions I have.
The one thing I DO find awkward on the Midland is the "Break Lever" ... it's a "Trigger" in front of the Trigger ... & I find that I really have to SLAM the gun closed when loaded .. or .. push the "Latch Trigger" forward with my finger to latch the gun.

The Midland doesn't have an "Ejector"  (doesn't POP the empty out) ... it's got an "Extractor" ( It just lifts the round to "Finger Grab height" )
The gun comes with some plastic spacers & different length screws for the recoil pad .. to adjust the length of pull .. & inside the stock is hollow .. for a "Kit" that's supposed to become available from Midland.
I plan on also buying a 12g barrel ... & figuring out an easy way to add weight inside the stock & trying this as a "Turkey Shoot" gun. (bag of Shot ?)  The barrels larger than .410 come fitted for commonly available "Screw-In Chokes"
I'll be interested in a .357 / .38 bbl  if & when they become available ... & maybe some other bbls.

The plastic Checkering  "Fill Panels" on the stock & forearm are removable & different colored panels are supposed to become available from Midland .. to appeal to the "Zombie Hunters" among us.

The .410 barrel I have needs a little Dremmel work.  The front bead sight protrudes thru & into the path of the shot wad ... & rips the side out of the wad as it exits the barrel.   Just a little work will fix this.

I have (2) ROSSI TRIFECTA convertibles  (22lr ... .223 ... .410 )
and an H&R convertible in 20g & 30/30
This Midland was just another of these weird little convertible guns that popped up .. & it's marketed out of WEST VIRGINIA ... & I wanted it.
It's not a Winchester or a Remington ... but for $150 .. it'll do.

Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

top dog

Seaotter,
I am sure you casn probably locate a used H&R,Iver-Johnson or NEF shotgun in a caliber/gauge that you would like.
A little clean up and the piece would be ready for truck gun duty use.

If the bbl is too long,lathe cut it back to at least 18 inches (18.5 just to be safe) and it should be just right for you.

I have such a gun in my truck box in 16 ga. I have a pouch of #1 buck and slugs to go along with it.

Top Dog

seaotter

I had originally planned on getting an H&R, but around here they gotten pretty expensive, well over $200 in most places for a used one. Until recently they were going for $75 or less. And I really do like the idea of having a rifled Center fire barrel for it. I know that just a 12 gauge is enough for any likely situation, but I like the idea of carrying the same rounds in my pistols and long guns. I already do that for .22, and  9mm. It would be nice to be able to do the same thing with 38/357.

RogueTS1

Quote from: seaotter on January-20-18 14:01
I had originally planned on getting an H&R, but around here they gotten pretty expensive, well over $200 in most places for a used one. Until recently they were going for $75 or less. And I really do like the idea of having a rifled Center fire barrel for it. I know that just a 12 gauge is enough for any likely situation, but I like the idea of carrying the same rounds in my pistols and long guns. I already do that for .22, and  9mm. It would be nice to be able to do the same thing with 38/357.

Probably because Remington bought out H&R somewhat recently and has decided to cease production of the H&R single shot shotties.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

OLD and GRUMPY

Death before Decaf !!!!!

MR_22

The AR7s are actually fairly durable. It has a polymer stock, and it's lightweight, but I wouldn't call it fragile. I have a Charter Arms Explorer II and the Henry Survival Rifle and both are very decent guns.