...Speaking of ammo, an interesting read

Started by Boisesteve, January-03-18 18:01

Previous topic - Next topic

cbl51

Quote from: Canoeal on January-16-18 12:01
Yeah, it would take you out of the fight, but at some point, you would wake up with the dent.

Yeah, but would you know what day of the week it was?  :o

What was that old cartoon with the dazed character, "Which way di he go, George, which way did he go?"

redhawk4

Quote from: Canoeal on January-16-18 12:01
Yeah, it would take you out of the fight, but at some point, you would wake up with the dent.

It might make a difference if you were holding it over your heart at the time :)
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

LHB

Whether it was on your head or over your heart, in the three to five seconds that it would take you to regain your feet, you are going to take two to three more hits, and they may not hit the helmet.

Canoeal

Here is my take on the anomalies that appear in the testing related to both the 22 rounds and the 9mm rounds in this study or any other. Both the 9mm and the .22 have other firearms, other than handguns, that have been popular platforms from which they are shot. There have been other rounds that could be argued for other calibers, but it particularly true of those two. 9mm carbines and rifles have been out there since WWII and have always had a following. The .22 rifle is arguably the most popular rifle on the planet. In addition there is little to identify the .22lr vs. the .22 mag out of either a handgun or a rifle, so those shootings may be added in.

All of that adds to the numbers and effectiveness of those 2 particular calibers and while there are other handgun calibers that could be argued the same way- none are as popular as the 9mm or the .22/22mag. Therefore the question of the effectiveness is somewhat less, IF you could identify and remove the shots that were not from a handgun. Since you can't there need to be an asterisk after those rounds.

In "Handgun Training" (so we are referring to handguns here) Richard Mann's chart says 'Better Than Average' (his term) performance for a .22 round out of a handgun needs to include: >900fps, 11" of penetration, a recovered diameter of .33" and a recovered weight of 33 gr. I know of no .22lr that will do all of that, out of a 2" barrel, but a .22 mag out of even a 2"barrel can, with SD ammo. So either a 22lr out of a longer barrel, or a 22 mag in SD ammo. Neither of these were separated out as it would be very difficult to do, but is something we need to take into account.

All that being said we all know a .22 CAN get the job done...

Always thinking...Al
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke