Issue with the BugOut I or II for pocket carry

Started by billmeek, May-05-18 22:05

Previous topic - Next topic

billmeek

If I was going to carry a NAA pistol for self-defense, I don't think I'd choose a BugOut / BugOut II for holster carry.  Especially if you plan on pocket carry. 

I ran into an issue where the pistol was extremely tough to get out of the holster.  The problem is not that the holster is too tight.  It's that when pulling only on the grip it can slightly cant the holster where the texturing on the hammer and the hook on the end of the release of the cylinder pin assembly put the pistol in a bind.  If you put enough force on the pistol to get it past the bind, it will occasionally pull the cylinder pin assembly free from the gun.  Not a good thing to have happen in a self-defense situation. 

If you place your thumb on the portion of the holder covering the hammer and lightly push down, then you won't have this issue.  But in an adrenaline-fueled situation, I'd rather not have to rely on a perfect draw.

Looking at the other models of NAA pistols, I don't believe that any of the others would have this issue except the Sheriff.  Since the Sheriff uses the same cylinder pin assembly, you may want to evaluate any holster you use for it too.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Rigemortis

Warthog

I carry my Black Widow most for Self Defense and the Bug Out I use at the range so I never noticed this, Thanks Bill!
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Thanks for the tip Bill. I usually carry my Black Widow or Pug and they have never had an issue. Very secure cylinder pin locking system. It seems your mini collection is going to start growing ;)

zburkett

The holster grip solves all those problems.

billmeek

I assume that by "holster grip" you are referring to this?

I've thought about one of those and decided against it. 

When I reach for a pistol, I want the action required to deploy it to be as reasonably close across all of the firearms I carry for self-defense.  The only draw exception I have now is an outside-the-waistband retention holster that requires me to push the button to release the pistol.  I still like it since the button is in a place that naturally falls under my trigger finder and takes no conscious thought on my part.

Everytime I've seen someone demoing the holster grip, they use 2 hands.  For me, a carry holster should not require the off-hand.

Foremost, the time to get the NAA holster grip ready to fire is unacceptable. I sure don't want to add an extra step to the process and certainly not one that significantly adds time.  I can't see how the holster grip is any better than training myself to push with my thumb on the hammer cover portion of the holster when doing so also has the added benefit of keeping the hammer from snagging on the draw.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

linux_author

this is a reason i like my Sidewinder for concealed carry - no problem on deployment or catching on a holster or pocket (i push off with my thumb and revolver is easily in hand and out of pocket):

it's my light-carry, but loaded with .22mag

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Warthog

Yeah, I feel the same about my Black Widow
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

linux_author

nice lookin' carry piece there, Mr. W!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

billmeek

Willie,

With a simple holster design like in your photo, there shouldn't be any issue on the draw with any NAA.  It's when you get into the form-fitting pocket holsters that cylinder pin assembly design becomes important. 
Bill

adp3

If the Bug Out series presents a problem for you the Pug or the XS sighted Black Widow due out later this year may be alternatives.  I have had no carry issues with my Pugs or the original Fixed Sight Black Widows.  The current Black Widows' sights are excellent for range work, but are larger and sharper than the originals.  I'm looking forward to the XS version and am saving for a pair.  I like to buy defense pistols in pairs because if you ever have to use one, even for justified self-defense, it is going to sit in an evidence locker for quite a while as things get sorted out.  Another good reason for a pair is that if one needs service you have a spare to take it's place.  So far my wife has bought into these reasons for multiple purchases.  I'll let you know if I think up any more.   ;D

Best Regards,
ADP3
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"
-Mark Twain

billmeek

Thanks for the input ADP3.  I have both the Pug with night sights and the BugOut II.  My current plan is to use the NAAs as backup guns for my normal  9mm carry.  I'm really happy so far with the Pug and prefer the sights on it.  I was going to buy the Black Widow in the short term, but decided to hold off until I could get it from the factory with the same XS sighting system... and spend my immediate shopping dollars on another 22 rifle. <g>
Bill