Mini Master timing problem

Started by silverzuk, November-01-10 11:11

Previous topic - Next topic

silverzuk

I've got a mini-master that is boxed up and ready to send back.  

Even when new, the pistol seemed to be rough and have an extra click as I cocked the hammer. Now it is "locked up" and can't even pull the hammer back to cock.  

I bought it new and it has maybe a couple rounds fired from it.  

The sights are also so high, I cannot zero it at a reasonable range. I've got the rear sight cranked down as far as it will go, and it still shoots feet high at any reasonable range. (maybe zero for 100 yards).  

Anyone have any ideas?  

Are these common problems?

silverzuk

edit- a couple hundred rounds.

chopprs

My MM has the adjustable sights and I also have the rear sight all the way down. A little practice with an adjusted sight picture will zero you in just fine.

NAA will fix your timing problem, no worries.....

sirbarkalot

A taller front sight will fix that...........  should be available from Millet.   I have one or two in my parts box.............

chopprs

Agreed but the MM front sight is already tall. A taller sight would be aesthetically unpleasing......IMO.

sirbarkalot

you would be right........ that is why I buy the fixed sight models most of the time............

cookieruffruff

nannynannypoopoo front sight is doodoo lol

chopprs

Cookie is smoking backwards cigs again.......

redhawk4

I don't think it's just the cigarettes that are backward
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

cookieruffruff

hey,hey i know i'm from wv n we are kinda backwards, but i;ll take it any day as oppossed to the larger citys........poopyhead lol

chopprs

.......poopyhead????????

silverzuk

So, they won't fix the issue with the sights?

All of the mini masters are produced with sights that won't zero?

I'm disappointed.  This is the first NAA product I have owned, and probably the last.

cedarview kid

I had a .22LR lock up like that. The internals had somehow got mucked up. I "rescued" it from somebody (bought it that way) and NAA honored the lifetime warranty and fixed it for me. I don't even know which one it was now--it's as good as new. LOL.

I also had a Black Widow with a comparable sights problem. Always shot high, or low, I forget which. It would never adjust to the POA. I took it into NAA and Wayne, a senior gunsmith, determined that the bore had been drilled wrong. They replaced it with a brand new gun.

If you are a little patient, I think you'll be happy with NAA.

Dar

tacc1

I bought a new mini-mag from NAA, that would bulge the case-heads and tie up the cylinder. Two quick trips back, it's been perfect for over 15 years. TACC1

silverzuk

It is in NAA hands now.

I hope they get those issues resolved.

I shoot pistols a lot, and 22 pistol more than anything.  I coon hunt with a K frame S&W.  

If I can get this pistol to shoot accurately, I will probably start knocking coons out with it.

I could shoot groups good enough to kill a coon with it.  However, the sight were worthless because it shot feet high at normal coon hunting ranges.  I like the compact design, fit and finish.

However, if I can't it to hit what I am aiming at - I might as well be throwing rocks.

silverzuk

I got the pistol back quickly.  I was pleased with the turn around.

The pistols functions now and the factory changed the rear sight.  Looking at it, I thought "Now it is going to shoot extremely low".

I was right.  The rear sight is a fixed sight and the front sight is about twice as tall.  

So that means I have to change the front sight to zero the pistol.

Overall, I am not pleased with this pistol.

What good is a factory pistol that won't zero.  

If I want to point and shoot, I'll use a shotgun.

It will probably be going on gun broker soon.

grayelky

It will probably be going on gun broker soon.

Sorry you are so unhappy with it. If you can't get it to your satisfaction, post it on the forum first. Someone will likely be interested, and there are no fees you have to pay.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

amstaff

Shoot coons.  Why?  Are they good eating? I guess I have a different mind set.

coinchop

Amstaff>

Yes, some people love coon meat..

Silverzuk>

If that gun were mine I would cut the front

sight down till it was perfect for the range

I wanted it sighted in for, a little at a time

till it was right on. I did that on a BLACK WIDOW

that had a front sight that was to tall for my

shooting..

newguy

It is a Millet front sight and you can order one just about any height you want............

mrmadhat

newguy, where would one order a different height front sight?

silverzuk

I would expect the factory to take care of the issue while it was sitting in thier hands.

I purchased a gun with adjustable elevation sights that shot excessively high.  Now I have one with fixed sites that shoots excessively low.

Not exactly what I had hoped for when I bought it. I bought a Jennings 22 LR several years ago for $35.  

Now I have two 22 pocket pistols that are nothing more than point and shoot junk.

silverzuk

amstaff,

We hunt coons with hounds for recreation. I also skin the coons and sell the hides.  

Some people eat them, I have never tried one yet.  I don't guess I've been that hungry.

My cur dog treed one last night while I was unloading firewood.  I grabbed my Colt Huntsman and light and walked the 1/4 mile or so to him.  I shot it out, took it home and skinned it (after finishing the wood, feeding the cows, and feeding the dogs).

silvershooter

Did you request that the adjustable rear sight be replaced with a fixed one? If not then it seems like it came back at a loss.

I've never owned a MM, but overall I consider NAA's to be pointNshoot weapons. If I hit a paper plate off hand at 20 feet I'm satisfied; but then I'm not hunting with them. I'd probably use a rifle if I was hunting.

zippovarga

mrmadhat

silverzuk

I included in my letter that the pistol shot excessively high and the sights could not be adjusted to zero.

I bought this pistol because a friend has one that shoots well enough to hit a tennis ball at 50'.

We both shoot a lot, I shoot competitively.

This pistol will produce groups, it is just that the sight system cannot be adjusted to zero.

I guess I expected a better quality firearm than I received.  

It is like buying a new truck and realize that you have to spend more money and work on it yourself to use 4wd.

mrmadhat

silverzuk,

NAA is not equiped with a range to test fire at distance, the fixed sights are exactly that fixed, aside from a file or a different set of sights you will need to adapt to what you have... shooting my widow according to proper sight picture doesnt work, it shoots low like yours does, however I quickly learned to adjust and can hit 1"-2" groups, where I want them,at 30' all day long, mind you Im not the best shot. I realize the frustration, but the factory does not advertise a target gun.. for what I paid for my widow and from what is advertised from the factory, a point and shoot made for close range, I am very happy with my NAA's IMO.

rob72

"Our Black Widow and Mini-Master Mini-Revolvers evolved from our popular .22 Magnum frame series and include  

the time tested design characteristics that are incorporated in all NAA Mini-Revolvers.  

The result is enhanced stability and accuracy for the shooter."

Actually, on the MM and BW, they do advertise them as being the most accurate models.  Silver, a call to Millett would probably be your best bet, and I would not be surprised if they don't take care of what NAA wouldn't.

On that note, if you really want accuracy, a Marbles bead front, with the base filed down to fit the MM dovetail is what I see as the best recipe.  As soon as school is over, that's my plan...

newguy

Jason:

I ordered my Millet front sights from Brownells

New guy

mrmadhat

Thanks newguy, how well does it work for you... I have debated on grinding mine down with some diomond tip dremel bits in my flatbed drill-press rig..I would also slim up the blade a touch... if there is a pre-made one, I am all about saving the headache