Suggestions to NAA powers that be

Started by bearcatter, January-24-20 10:01

Previous topic - Next topic

bearcatter

My interest in minis has been increasing, if only the $$ in my budget would. I've noticed that several of the magnum frames aren't offered with a LR cylinder alone; and some are. I would not want to shoot .22WMR, so that knocks some minis out of consideration.

Simpler situation with Guardians. They come with two mags, one flat bottom and one extended. I did not plan to use the extended, and luckily the flat floor plates (MZ-FP) were available for ten bucks a pair. I later learned the extended didn't work anyway, as my size hand pressing against the extension popped the mag loose. My Guardians do have the improved mag catch that was supposed to stop that.

Latest I heard from Jessica, NAA can no longer get the loose flat floor plates, but had just a few left. They aren't shown on the website. So, when those are gone, people that can't use the extension are stuck with a "parts mag" and would have to buy another complete flat bottom magazine to have two usable ones. Or, grind down the extension.

So why not sell the Guardians with two flat bottom mags, and include one or two extended floor plates ? They are still listed as available (MZ-FPK), BTW.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Canoeal

I, on the other hand, have no use for 22lr. I have my minis for SD and shooting, and will only practice with what I intend to carry. I have my guns set to shoot POA with 22 mag. I do not want to spend extra for a cylinder I will never use. Even the Henry will be 22 mag.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

heyjoe

Quote from: Canoeal on January-24-20 11:01
I, on the other hand, have no use for 22lr. I have my minis for SD and shooting, and will only practice with what I intend to carry. I have my guns set to shott POA with 22 mag. I do not want to spend extra for a cylinder I will never use. Even the Henry will be 22 mag.

i think every model except the dedicated 22lr mini and 22 short and the pug, come with a magnum cylinder but also an option for a long rifle cylinder. no one is forced to pay for a  long rifle cylinder they dont want. why limit others choices?
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Canoeal

I have no intention of making anyone do anything. There is a whole series on .22 lr only guns. Just saying why do the mag frames (intended for the larger 22 mag round) need to come as .22lr only guns, when there are .22 only guns?  For the manufacturer and the dealer, it just means more stock to carry, when dealers already limit their stock as is. JMHO
BTW I guess you could special order mag frames with .22 lr cylinders to be delivered to your LGS...if not push, for the availability...you just won't find them cheap on your internet auction.
BTW only two guns, the related BW and MM, come in mag frames with 22 lr cylinders only. Limits the extra stock.
I guess you can't keep this crowd happy no matter what. (.32 minis, lightweight Guardians, double action minis, special sights, mag extensions, mini rifles...).
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

heyjoe

Quote from: Canoeal on January-24-20 18:01
I have no intention of making anyone do anything. There is a whole series on .22 lr only guns. Just saying why do the mag frames (intended for the larger 22 mag round) need to come as .22lr only guns, when there are .22 only guns?

yes i dont see that either.

RogueTS1

QuoteLatest I heard from Jessica, NAA can no longer get the loose flat floor plates, but had just a few left. They aren't shown on the website. So, when those are gone, people that can't use the extension are stuck with a "parts mag" and would have to buy another complete flat bottom magazine to have two usable ones. Or, grind down the extension.

I have several of the flat base plates. I hate them and never use them. I also do not like NAA's extended base plates; they are too curvy and funky to be comfortably used. I use only Pearce extended base plates. They allow one's pinky finger to get a full and proper grip on the Guardian.

Once they are gone I just may offer them up to the Guardian world for sale. They are all un-used/never fired.  8)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

seaotter

As to why they would sell 22lr only versions of the magnum framed minis, that's simple: people want them! I wanted a Black Widow, but in 22lr as I don't shoot 22wmr. The BW is less expensive with just one cylinder. And I figured I'd I ever wanted to get a magnum cylinder, all I had to do is send it in and get one added. I have been waiting until something on it breaks, so I can save money on shipping. It's been 5 years since I bought my used BW, and nothing on it has broken yet. I am carrying it more often  as a primary, so I guess I really need to send it in anyway. I have always figured 22lr  is just as good as 22wmrs out of such a short barreled weapins, but ballistics have shown me the errors of my ways!

Wumbey Goomba

Pretty sure you pay shipping after your weapin is
more than two years old. :-[

Canoeal

Maybe not enough people want them, and won't buy the extra cylinder, to make it profitable...or they probably would. I think the guys/girls at NAA are a pretty sharp bunch.

seaotter

Wumby, yeah, I would have to pay to have it returned. My thinking was that, with my luck, I would get it back from getting a new cylinders and then  have it break the very next week!, Resulting in two trips.

Pedaler

Back in 2014 I had a LR cylinder fitted to my 1 1/8 magnum. The first range trip the cylinder pin failed. I sure was happy it was the pin and the pistol didn't have to go back.

Canoeal

Quote from: seaotter on January-26-20 17:01
As to why they would sell 22lr only versions of the magnum framed minis, that's simple: people want them! I wanted a Black Widow, but in 22lr as I don't shoot 22wmr. The BW is less expensive with just one cylinder. And I figured I'd I ever wanted to get a magnum cylinder, all I had to do is send it in and get one added. I have been waiting until something on it breaks, so I can save money on shipping. It's been 5 years since I bought my used BW, and nothing on it has broken yet. I am carrying it more often  as a primary, so I guess I really need to send it in anyway. I have always figured 22lr  is just as good as 22wmrs out of such a short barreled weapons, but ballistics have shown me the errors of my ways!

Evidently the rest do not care that much. If it was profitable they would do so, I am sure. The powers at NAA are not stupid.  Perhaps you do not realize the cost of making, stocking; in house and distributors, a product that  may or may not sell enough to be profitable. Maybe the sales of .22lr BWs reflect that. Carrying it as  a primary in 22 lr, is not the best use of the ballistics for a BW (see chart). Certainly you can if you like, I am not trying to tell you what to do, But as a carry gun the 22 mag is + 1/2 the power, so penetration and expansion  has to improve. Yes the BW is cheaper with one cylinder, that is why I bought it without the weaker round. The cost of Gold Dot .22 wmr ammo is still a good deal compared to carrying in centerfire...You certainly have the right to carry what you want. JMHO

Uncle_Lee

.32 ACP MINI !!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Well, I have to bring it up every year or three.
Sandy said "No" but I still have to bring it up just for fond memories.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

bearcatter

.32 (actually is .31) is about 42% larger in diameter than .22. That would kinda mean a 42% larger gun that wouldn't be so mini?

Now a .22LR Guardian, going smaller, wouldn't have that problem......hint, hint
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

heyjoe

Quote from: uncle_lee on January-27-20 12:01
.32 ACP MINI !!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

tally ho!!!

Well, I have to bring it up every year or three.
Sandy said "No" but I still have to bring it up just for fond memories.

Wumbey Goomba

Try this on for size. There's no such thing as magnum frames and
long rifle frames. Humor me. There's large frames and small frames.
The large frames can shoot 22 cal. magnum, long rifle, long and short.
Using a different cylinder for the LR, long and short.
The small frame can shoot 22 cal. long rifle, long and short.
There's also a short frame that shoots 22 cal. short only.

One more: Would a 32 acp mini use little tiny moon clips?

Canoeal

theysayimnotme

Quote from: Wumbey Goomba on January-27-20 20:01
One more: Would a 32 acp mini use little tiny moon clips?
Take a look at a .32 ACP cartridge & you will note that it is not entirely rimless. There is enough of a rim to headspace on. Extraction is not a problem with the mini design. It is a problem with my .32 derringer though. The rim is enough to extract UNFIRED cases but not fired ones. Makes for a messy jamb if you try to use the extractor since it overrides fired cases.

Wumbey Goomba

Thanks for the insight. It's very little but I see a rim.
Consider me schooled.(tipping hat emoji)
A man this handsome can't know everything.

Uncle_Lee

Cut the cylinder to chamber the rim and set the headspace by the case mouth. This would work good on a regular mini. Like a Blackhawk 357 with a 9mm cylinder.    8)
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )