What do you think

Started by Wumbey Goomba, November-06-19 20:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Wumbey Goomba

What is the most important thing for accuracy when firing a handgun?

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

cfsharry

The trigger, most definitely.

bearcatter

I agree that trigger operation is most important, but that is tied into your physical grip on the gun. If your grip is off, pulling the trigger will definitely move the gun in your hand. That's why you want a gun's grip to fit your grip well.

You know, it's hard to discuss the grip you perform with your hand, and the grip(s) you screw onto the gun, and keep the two separated so people know which is which...whew....LOL
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

RogueTS1

Good fundamentals is the key to getting hits on target .................... the rest is for minute increases in said accuracy and speed.  ;D
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Ruger

Confidence . . . and a little spit on the front sight.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Cary Gunn

For sure, trigger work is most important.  A trigger-pull that allows the shot to "break" with absolutely no movement of the gun in the hand is what is needed.  Of course, how the gun is held in the hand is also important to that clean trigger-break.

Happy trails, and straight shootin',

--  Cary Gunn --

boots

Canoeal is right practice, practice and consecrate on the front site.

bearcatter

Concentrate? Consecrate, "To make or declare something sacred, with a divine purpose". Maybe the Pope would have a pistol with consecrated sights; should it be an Argentine Bersa or Italian Beretta?
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Wumbey Goomba

Yes practice but I would also argue proper practice

Canoeal

Quote from: boots on November-18-19 07:11
Canoeal is right practice, practice and consecrate on the front site.
Front sights on mine get painted to make them easier to see...Actually, both sights are painted.
Old grips.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Boisesteve

six words: front sight, press, practice, practice, practice.
Steve in Boise

Canoeal

Quote from: Wumbey Goomba on November-18-19 21:11
Yes practice but I would also argue proper practice. I mean standing straight in front of a target
with your feet and shoulders squared, target at the perfect(chest) height, isn't really reality is it.
I mean if there's a bad guy with a firearm and you have to go up against him. Do you want to go toe to toe
with him. I practice kneeling on a knee, prone, even sitting on my backside. You don't know when and where
you'll have to defend yourself, so I don't want it to be the first time I've ever shot from that position when
my life depends on it. How about sitting in your vehicle. I know not everyone can do this but if you can you
should try. It definitely will humble you about your thinking of how accurate you are. I just think there's more
to it than putting yourself in the best case position practicing and thinking that's how it will be if the need ever arises.

I have two metal knees so kneeling? Not gonna happen. Twice broken right foot, so no running or jumping either. I am flat on my back in the shop, under boats some, but unless I get knocked there, not volunteering. Yea I could shoot sitting, and have; heck in my younger days I was trained to shoot from many awkward positions. I will practice standing, and shoot from other positions only when I need to. It ain't perfect, but it is what I got. I practice 1 handed, two handed, Rapid fire (with the CA) and slow, accurate fire. I am good with that.
BTW, how many times as a private citizen have you been in gunfights?...Yeah I thought so...

LHB

Some times it is the surroundings, or situation you are in.   Back in the 70's and 80's, the club I belong to had a former railroad man who was a double amputee (both legs), who took part in all our activities from his wheel chair.   When I started what at that time was called "combat" shooting (now USPSA), Jack came and shot in the matches, and before I would tear down the course, he wanted to shoot it from the ground, because, as he said, if I an ever attacked in my apartment, the first thing they will do is knock me out of my chair.   He would shoot it from the regular prone, and then from flat on his back.

Jack was adamant that he was not handicapped, didn't want any handicapped parking signs, and it was interesting to watch him when he was fishing the lake.   He would roll along the path in his chair, and when he came to an obstacle such as a log, roll out of his chair, toss the chair over the log, roll over the log himself, and pull himself back into the chair, and continue on down the path around the lake.   Now we have members who complain if the grounds are too wet for them to drive their cars 100 yards to change their targets.

Cary Gunn

Howdy LHB,

My hat is off to your friend, Jack.   May he -- and all those with like "grit" -- flourish.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

autofull

i have practiced in all shooting positions known to me including ankle draw. so, if something ever does happen i bet i will need a position i never imagined. wadda ya think guys.

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: autofull on November-22-19 11:11
i have practiced in all shooting positions known to me including ankle draw. so, if something ever does happen i bet i will need a position i never imagined. wadda ya think guys.
Yep, when the SHTF really happens, you don't know where it is going to fly off the blades.
Just prepare for what you can and then do your best when it does come down.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: uncle_lee on November-23-19 05:11
Quote from: autofull on November-22-19 11:11
Yep, when the SHTF really happens, you don't know where it is going to fly off the blades.
Just prepare for what you can and then do your best when it does come down.
Wise advice from Uncle_Lee

We really never know when its going to "go down" so... keep alert and be as ready as you can be.  Practice  ;)
Rick Jorgenson

grumpyoleman

Well said about practice.  We used to know a fellow who had some sort of palsy.  It never affected his spirit that we could tell, but his hands shook.  It was common to find him sitting on his front porch using a 22 revolver to shoot lizards off nearby trees.  Never noticed much aiming involved and it rarely took two shots.

red14

[/quote]

We really never know when its going to "go down" so... keep alert and be as ready as you can be.  Practice  ;)
[/quote]

This is why I ordered a Ranger, easier to load, more time to shoot.  As an old coach, I know proper practice, focus and repetition are paramount to success.
''I'm a humble man, indeed, I have a lot to be humble for.''

pietro

Practicing is good advice, but handgun accuracy will usually improve if a constant & PROPER hold is maintained.

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: red14 on December-16-19 06:12

[/quote]

This is why I ordered a Ranger, easier to load, more time to shoot.  As an old coach, I know proper practice, focus and repetition are paramount to success.
[/quote]
This setup for Loading is really nice especially with the Ranger II

Since getting these I spend more time shooting and less time chasing shells

The Rage Box will set up 30 ready to push the speed loader on. 

There are two different speed loaders. "DS-530 Mag" for .22 Mag Shells & "DS-530 Long Rifle" for .22lr

If you have a "NAA Long Rifle" or "Short" then the DS-480 is the correct Speed Loader.

(The Cylinders are different sizes for the "Magnum Frame Guns" then the "Long Rifle & Short Frame Guns".)
The 480 and 530 refer to the circumference of the cylinders.
Rick Jorgenson