Favorite .22 defensive loads?

Started by stantheman86, October-16-12 14:10

Previous topic - Next topic

stantheman86

I have been carrying my .22 LR Mini loaded with Stingers for several months now, the Stingers seem to be the best of what I have tested myself..........although I plan to try out some Rem Vipers, they are solid points and made for penetration.

I tested Quik Shok and do not believe the 1 1/8" barrel of my Mini allows enough velocity for the bullet to "segment", it didn't do this in my water jug tests.  I think these rounds are made for rifles.

CCI Mini Mags are not as hot as Stingers, so I don't see a point in using them.    Aguila 60 gr. SSS rounds tumbled out of my gun.

I would not want to use .22 LR snake shot for defense, might as well throw a handful of sand in the bad guys face........

I saw something called "Lightning" today, I think it may have been Winchester or CCI, it was a solid point plated .22 LR round.  I don't see many solid .22's, most are HP's except for the cheap lead plinking stuff.

When I get my PUG, I plan to try Hornady Critical Defense........I already have a 1,000 round case and this seems the be one of the few .22 WMR defensive loads out there.

For now, the Stinger kicks hard enough that the wood birdshead grips on my .22 LR Mini aren't enough to hold on to, so I'll have to go with the rubber Cobblestone grips........

RogueTS1

I would take a look at CCI Velocitors. Almost as fast as the Stingers but with a heavier 40 grain bullet vs the Stinger's 32 grain bullet.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

blitzkrieger

+1 for the Velocitors. tis what I carry in my lr mini.
And the Velocitors dont really classify as a HP in my opinion as the nose is hollowed out only about 1mm.

stantheman86

I actually watched a YouTube test of the Stinger vs. the Velocitor, and the heavier Velocitor penetrates deeper due to the heavier bullet.  8 gr. of weight is a lot when we're talking .22's,   you want all the punch you can get when you're already working with a low powered round.   I may be about to replace the Stingers with Velocitors, the next time I get over to Wal-Fart or one of my local fun shops and can get my hands on a couple boxes of Velocitors.  I want to also test the Velocitors vs. the Rem Viper solid point rounds, a lot of other people I have talked to on other forums, who carry Minis and other .22 LR's for self defense love the Vipers.   My informal test is a pile of railroad ties in my parent's backyard,to see how deep the bullet goes in the dense wood...... a water filled milk jug and just my own personal "kick test", if the Mini kicks harder in my hand with one ammo over another, to me that equates to more power. 8)

People call the Velocitors "Mini Gold Dots", since CCI/ Speer makes the regular Gold Dot ammo in the larger calibers with a similar shallow "hollow point".

There are more and more .22 WMR self defense rounds coming out, one is also a CCI product I think, called the .22 WMR "short barrel defense" or some such, as well as the Hornady Critical Defense I am waiting to test out.

Overall, it's a compromise..........I want to get a PUG because it offers a little more potentially life saving punch in a size I can still easily carry, and I also want a standard 1 5/8" .22 WMR Mini just as an all purpose carry gun.   The NAA's with the longer barrels, such as the Sheriff, Earl, etc. are not in the concealed carry category for me, since if I'm carrying a .22 WMR revolver with a 3" or 4" barrel, I might as well just carry one of my S&W J-frame .38's.

blitzkrieger

Stan, I just posted a new thread in "stories" titled "Happy range report". Give it a read. :)

stantheman86

louiethelump

Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

heyjoe

i bought some velocitors recently after reading several discussions in here but havent used them yet.  I keep my extra lr cylinder for my convvertible loaded with stingers until i try out the velocitors.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

doid

For "carry" Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .22 WMR.

Powerful, clean and accurate.

agrizzlyman

Just wanted to alert you all to a great deal on Hornady .22WMR Critical Defense Ammo.
Great price, low shipping and in stock!
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/hornady-22-wmr-45gr-ftx-critical-defense-50rds-83200.html
Liberalism is a Mental Disorder

rabbivj

I carry mine with Hornady Crit Defence 45 gr.