Why buy old guns?

Started by bearcatter, April-14-22 11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

bearcatter

Why does anyone buy old guns "as is", with very rare parts and accessories? Not knowing they'll shoot right? In my case, being in near new condition with no bad news online is good but still no guarantee.
I've thought that buying mine may have been stupid an iffy decision. Same caliber as my Guardians, 10 more ounces and half again bigger with only 2 more rounds in the mag. At least they were cheap.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

bill_deshivs

Because some of us can repair most of what may go wrong with a gun.

bearcatter

That would be nice. You can make a firing pin, extractor, or slide lock? The three main worries on a pistol. Those are heat treated parts, too.
I keep an overkill inventory of parts for all my guns, but can't do that with these Zastavas. I will grab what parts I ever come across. I can fit and install most parts, but can't quite manufacture them.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

pietro

I like the better quality, workmanship and lack of plastic in most older guns.
Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

bill_deshivs

Yes, I could make those parts.

bearcatter

Quote from: pietro on April-14-22 17:04
I like the better quality, workmanship and lack of plastic in most older guns.

My "stable" is in my forum signature. None of my handguns has any plastic beyond the grips. All of the Rugers are older designs. Still, my 10/22 has more plastic than I like.

theysayimnotme

I have a cap & ball Colt style revolver that has a broken spring on the part that turns the cylinder. I sent to Dixie Gun Works for what I thought was a drop in part. It's just a blob of mental they say I should use a file to shape. I've had it for years & still have to turn the cylinder by hand for each shot.

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: theysayimnotme on April-15-22 00:04
I have a cap & ball Colt style revolver that has a broken spring on the part that turns the cylinder. I sent to Dixie Gun Works for what I thought was a drop in part. It's just a blob of mental they say I should use a file to shape. I've had it for years & still have to turn the cylinder by hand for each shot.

Who made it???
Might be able to find one that fits.
You may be able to make the spring out of a bobby pin.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

OLD and GRUMPY

Old and new parts. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/    They will buy your  "junk box"  of old parts/guns.   Flint and most things Black. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/632      ----   Cap&Ball and old west cartridge guns most brands  https://taylorsfirearms.com/accessories/parts.html  ---  https://www.dixiegunworks.com/   ---       CVA,  ASM, Classic Arms and others  https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/c1/Featured_Products.html  --- Modern upgrades and rebuilds like my Marlin 60 that was dead. AK springs   https://www.mcarbo.com/.  -------------Don't just look at the page call them. They want to help and know more than we do. Most can order it if they don't have it.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

OLD and GRUMPY

Quote from: uncle_lee on April-15-22 03:04
Quote from: theysayimnotme on April-15-22 00:04

Who made it???
Might be able to find one that fits.
You may be able to make the spring out of a bobby pin.
It's called the hand. Call Taylors - link up top
Death before Decaf !!!!!

Uncle_Lee

I was hoping to get to look for something.
I bought a lot from Deer Creek before they had an internet site.
I loved working on the black powder replicas.
Sure one could buy a hand with a spring. But it was more satisfying to spend 4 or 5 hours and make one from a bobby pin.
God, Country, & Flag

theysayimnotme

I have the old hand & the replacement has a spring of course. If I could get the old broken spring out & the new one out I could replace the old spring if I could crimp it in. I've spent years looking at the parts wondering if that could be done. I've asked gunsmiths a couple of times how much they would charge & it was more than I paid for the pistol but I have had it for probably close to sixty years. I've thought of trying to shape it with a file but there is an oversized  round projection that I suspect would be very hard to properly shape to fit in the hole. So I just keep turning the cylinder by hand.

OLD and GRUMPY

Any marks on the gun? May just be odd shaped marks.  post pics. We can find out who made it.   On some the spring can come out and be changed.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

Uncle_Lee

Made in Italy by Armi Sam Marco in 1990.

Marks like these:

God, Country, & Flag

OLD and GRUMPY

Thanks Unc ! Letters in the box are date codes. This is why I regret those who have left the forum. I learned SO  much when I knew NOTHING! We still got Lee.   2 gun if you are still lurking------ ;D PM me.  https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/IDC/idc.html   AZ= 1990.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

bearcatter

I found an old post from two years ago, of some fly by night importer showing off his "stock". Just tossed in crates. These are the same model guns that I just bought. Mine were bubble bagged, individually boxed, then in large boxes on pallets. These are sad.

Uncle_Lee

I would take one of the top ones.
God, Country, & Flag

bearcatter

It might shoot okay, but I wouldn't count on the looks. I see a shootload of parts guns.

Mine are like 98%, very slight holster wear and some light scratches. Even the mags are nice. The holsters were bad, but I didn't expect them anyway. One of these days I'll actually go shoot them.