Pug manufacturing/quality

Started by czpug, March-05-14 09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

czpug

Hi everyone! I picked up my first NAA mini this week. I went with the Pug with the white dot XS sights since a local dealer had it in stock.

There were many reviews online for these minis that compare their craftsmanship to that of fine Swiss watches, but I'm a bit O.C.D. and a freak for esthetic's. I've noticed some things with my Pug and thought I'd show and ask the community what their thoughts were.

The muzzle face is concave a bit (more so on the left hand side of the gun) and the muzzle face is not flush with the cylinder pin block. In many of the reviews/ press photos the pug has a flat and flush face with the cylinder pin block which makes since considering the "Pug" name. The muzzle face is also longer on the top- right hand side. Its just not flush or square.

The cylinder pin block is also wider than the guns frame and ignores the lines of the gun entirely.

Lastly, the hammer is canted to the left and my rear sight needs drifted to the left by a visible amount.

How do your Pugs look and is this correctable at the factory? I'll post photos to show what I mean but my WiFi is unavailable at the moment. They will be added later. Thanks!

Goatpacker

Show us some pics. There are several threads concerning the muzzle end not being square or crooked crown.

czpug

I read those threads and thought I'd start this one because of the specific and square/flat design esthetic of the Pug. I'm thinking that maybe I'm misunderstanding these little guns and should think of them more as "tools" instead of "functional art".

Many pics are on the way as soon as I get to my tablet and some WiFi.

Goatpacker

Even tools should be made right.

czpug

Can't argue with that. I've had a few Leatherman tools that might qualify as art and I used those to fix anything! All they lacked was a duct tape dispenser!

Goatpacker

Funny thing about duct tape is it works on everything but Ducts. Falls a art in the heat of the attic so they use metal foil tape now.

czpug

Here are my pics and C.A.D. drawings. (Crummy and dumb...C.A.D.)

Let me know how your pugs look in comparison, and let me know if I'm outta line.

czpug

More.

czpug

And more.

czpug

Diagram.

czpug

You can see the rear sight and angled hammer in these pics.

czpug

Why doesn't the cylinder pin follow the lines of the gun? Wouldn't it look less like a parts bin gun if it were milled or filed to match the frame?

czpug

So am I being too picky, or are these design/manufacturing defects that can be fixed? What are your pugs like?

Thanks everyone.

On a side note, I shot it today, 50 rounds and it was a blast. Love this thing, I just feel like it wasn't hand crafted, just hand manufactured.

czpug

Heres a pug used in a media review. Flat faced and flush.

Goatpacker

Those things are the same type of things several of us are seeing too. They can be fixed. As far as being "too picky", if you are not happy with it then it ain't right. How was the accuracy? Did it hit to the right of the target? As far as drifting the sights goes that is what I feel is a consumer adjustment that you should do yourself to get it on, only thing is that they should not have to be drifted too much off center in my opinion.

I do have a pug and it looks good, none of those issues that I am aware of. I have not checked it out that closely though because my son started carrying that one not long after I got it. I will check it more closely.

It seems that a lot of these issues have been leaving the plant in more recent times and the older ones were watched more closely ( in my opinion ).

If that was my gun, I would not be happy with it either!

czpug

It wasn't a very technical range trip. Just plinking some Gatorade bottles and a spinning .22 target at 7 yards or so. Hit some and missed some. I'll test with a target at a range later.

I plan to drift the sight, but I'm in the middle of a move and my tools are packed at the moment.

The non-flush/square barrel makes my o.c.d. go into overdrive...   

nastruck

I sure would not be to thrilled with it but that is just me!!!!

TwoGunJayne

NAA can clean that up, I'm pretty sure.

czpug

I'll probably call customer service to see if I can have it sorted out. I want to order the conversion cylinder and see if they can swap a tritium xs sight in place of the white dot anyway.

The only thing I'm not sure they'll do is the cylinder pin block. The fact that it isn't filed or ground to be flush with the gun seems to be due to the fact these cylinder pin blocks are used on mini masters and bw's. It would look much more polished and make the cylinder pin block seem less like an afterthought if it followed the lines of the frame. Just not sure they'll do it or understand what I'm talking about when I try to explain it.

Any guesses how long this work might take? Like I said, I'm moving and I may have to wait until I'm settled in a couple weeks. My move does take me close to Provo  though...think I could pick it up from their factory in a week?

TwoGunJayne

It all depends on their workload and I don't have the schedule. It's best to call, not email. Besides, Jessica is extremely nice, knowledgeable, friendly, and professional.

It won't hurt, I promise.

Good call on getting the conversion cylinder. Versatility is king and you'll likely find that you shoot it more often, especially with the spotty ammo availability these days.

Goatpacker

Tell them you want one that looks like the pic they are showing.

czpug

I drew some more. One is the current setup, and the other is what I expected/would like the gun to look like.

czpug

Frontal.

czpug

I'll have to call when I'm settled into my new state I think. I'm military in a TLF with no address to speak of and will be in a new state in a week.

Classanr

The military sorely needs people like you in procurement.

Read this and take heart:

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=4597.msg74017#msg74017

czpug

Quote from: Classanr on March-06-14 20:03
The military sorely needs people like you in procurement.

Read this and take heart:

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=4597.msg74017#msg74017

That's funny. I can research and research for days before deciding on what to buy for myself, so imagine if I had to research a product for the military!

I actually (currently) work in the dental lab and fabricate porcelain crowns, gold crowns, dentures, partial, etc. That may be why this hits home for me so hard. I have to assess every detail of what I make to be sure the function and esthetics are ideal. I'd never let a mouthguard leave my lab if its not perfect, so I definitely wouldn't let a firearm slide that didn't meet standards.

I am certain NAA will fix what I ask them too and I am still enjoying my Pug in the meanwhile. No worries.  8)

Puggit

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post here, so hello everybody!
I just purchased my Pug today at a local gun show. It seems they're hard to find, so when I saw a new one at a dealer's table, I decided to get it right away. I just hope .22 Magnum ammo doesn't get hard to find.
czpug, after looking at your photos and drawings, I took a close look at my Pug. I have the same non-square end of the barrel as yours, and non-flush cylinder pin block. The cylinder pin block on mine is only 1/64" back from the end of the barrel, but still noticeable. My hammer is fine though, and really, the cylinder pin block width doesn't bother me, as long as it works.
I'm excited to take it to the range (maybe tomorrow) but may have to fire off a few rounds in the back yard tonight.
I work in an engineering shop fabricating  prototype agriculture parts for CNH (Case New Holland), so I too am a stickler for details. Although, I think if this little revolver performs as good as it looks over all, I'll be happy with it and it's few little flaws.
Oh yeah, I also have a Pug dog (Chumley) who is my sidekick! Later. Randy.

Magic

Don't know where you live but here in Albuquerque New Mexico you will have better luck finding LR than Magnum ,  and the hunt for LR is already a pain in the $$$.   Puggit welcome to the forum

Puggit

Thanks for the welcome, Magic. Here in Lancaster County  Pa, it's not too hard now to find .22 LR and Magnum. This will be my first time buying Magnums, so I'm checking prices. I have plenty of local gun shops that have it in stock.
The show I went to that I bought my Pug was in Harrisburg, Pa. At one ammo dealer's table, they said one person bought all the .22 Magnum ammo they had (about $800.00 worth!).
I saw a couple tables had 50 round boxes for between $15 - $20 a box. Most ammo dealers didn't have any.
Oh well, I'll check out the prices at the gun shops.

bud

Welcome Puggit,

Will be looking for your post!    8)

Black_Jack_Rackham

I just picked up my brand spanking new PUG (minus the test round) and everything looks nice and tight.
The lines, fit, and finish looks as good as the PUG I bought 5 years ago.

This thread was a big heads up for what to look for before I signed for my PUG at the gun shop.

Well done everyone.

TwoGunJayne