I want a .25 acp mini

Started by holiday009, November-24-14 12:11

Previous topic - Next topic

holiday009

I know the .32 acp has been discussed on here but, what's the chances we ever see a .25 mini??

Seems it's more feasible to me anyhow!

I know the .25 is not exactly a .45. But, I like the lil round.
NAA Riverboat Gambler Owner.

SteveZ-FL

I like it, too. My Baby Browning and Taurus PT-25 are still favorites.  However, .22WMR ammo is easier to find and has an equivalent punch.
...SteveZ

"...you never need a gun until you need it badly" - from WEB Griffin's The Honor of Spies, and Victory and Honor.

cfsharry

Actually, the .22 mag has about 13 ft/bs more energy than the .25.  The .25 is a really anemic round, cute but not very useful.

adp3

The only benefit of the .25 ACP is reliable centerfire priming.  A fellow I used to work with wife left him.  He got depressed and shot himself through the heart with his .25 Beretta.  He was a little embarrassed when he returned to work after 2 weeks convalescence, but the embarrassment was the principal damage he suffered.  He even drove himself to the hospital.  There is a reason manufacturers don't make many .25's these days.

Best Regards,
ADP3
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"
-Mark Twain

Uncle_Lee

I'll take a pair with 3" barrels and with consecutive serial numbers. 8)
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

grayelky

Pull up some ballistic tables. (I made a post some time back about this issue. I used Hornady.) From equal length barrels, the only thing the .25 brings to the table is center fire reliability. When I started my research, I was extremely hopeful for the .25 ACP, for several reasons. When I started looking at actual ballistics, I was very disappointed. I suggest you do the research with an open mind. If you still want a .25 ACP Mini, you have my blessings. If NAA were to build it, I'd buy one, to go with the rest of my safe queens, and possibly 2 more: one for each of my sons for after I am gone.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Dinadan

I would buy at least one just to play around with. But I figure that for NAA it would be an expensive project for a small number of sales.

Uncle_Lee

I would buy them because they would be different.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

holiday009

I've just always like the .25 round, in general.   It was designed for short barreled handguns.
NAA Riverboat Gambler Owner.

RogueTS1

I have a big soft spot for the 6.35mm round. It is not my first choice, nor my second choice, as a self defense caliber but the pocket pistols of old all seem to be chambered in it.

The 6.35mm has quite the number of kills to its credit. I compare it to the .22LR but the centerfire cartridges win out for its reliability.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

dbmjr1

Quote from: grayelky on November-26-14 07:11
Pull up some ballistic tables. (I made a post some time back about this issue. I used Hornady.) From equal length barrels, the only thing the .25 brings to the table is center fire reliability. When I started my research, I was extremely hopeful for the .25 ACP, for several reasons. When I started looking at actual ballistics, I was very disappointed. I suggest you do the research with an open mind. If you still want a .25 ACP Mini, you have my blessings. If NAA were to build it, I'd buy one, to go with the rest of my safe queens, and possibly 2 more: one for each of my sons for after I am gone.

While I agree that factory .22mag ammo has better ballistics than factory .25acp, I think you are overlooking one other advantage to the centerfire round.  It can be reloaded.  Run your ballistics again.  This time use a 60gr fmj over 1.3gr of Bullseye.
NOTE:  Max load data is 1.1gr of Bullseye.  Do Not Take Reloading Advice from the internet.  This charge may be dangerous in your firearm.  I'm not suggesting that it would be safe in a firearm manufactured by NAA, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a revolver to find out.

Beer is Proof that God Loves Man and Wants Us to Be Happy.

grayelky

I fully understand the advantages of reloading, and the options. You just can't depend on the reloading community to support a new production gun. Yes, I realize a .25 ACP mini would share quite a few parts with the current mini.

While I prefer big bullets, I suspect the better load for a .25 mini would involve  35-40 gr bullet and a liberal dose of a fast burning powder.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"