Supressor/Silencer

Started by jjccamis, October-27-12 20:10

Previous topic - Next topic

jjccamis

Are there any NAA firearms that can be fitted with a supressor/silencer?
Not here for a long time, here for a good time!

louiethelump

Guardians....................
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

blue_heron

The Guardians could be fitted. It wouldn't be cost effective and it begs the question; what would be the purpose.

An effective silencer-suppressor would add weight besides increasing the size of the gun and negates the intended purpose which is concealment.

jjccamis

The purpose is obvious.  Not planning to buy one, just curious.  I'm rather new to this pocket gun thing.  I can't think of a better place to ask questions about them than our forum. 

jjccamis

Thanks, MO, I'll remember that. LOL

louiethelump

I have seen one Guardian set up with one at a gun show.

I respectfully disagree on the concept that it defeats the purpose.  The little Beretta 21 is a popular one to put a silencer on, and it is also a compact pistol meant for pocket carry.

I am not a silencer fan or owner and have no need or desire for one, but putting them on tiny little guns is not anything new.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

louiethelump

That requirement for ATF approval and the fees related to it are a big part of why I have no interest.  There have been some really neat Rugers done up that way over the years.  I think the first ones were done by the military.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

jjccamis

I have seen .22 supressors for 4 to 500 dollars.  If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'll buy another NAA mini.

therevjay

I don't know why you would want one. Unless maybe you lived in the UK where I've heard in most areas you are required to have one.  If you can somehow jump through all the hoops to be allowed to own a gun. :)
"I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way".....Mark Twain

boone123

If supressors were common on guns here in the USA , there would most likely be a lot less hearing aid companys.

RogueTS1

Reasons for owning suppressors abound. They are cool. They are fun to shoot. Because we can. They make a very interesting and unique addition to any collection. Most of all because one never knows when having one may just come in handy for something.

Speaking of a Suppressed Beretta 21a; here is a photo I found lying around and thought it may be relevant to the conversation at hand:
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

m82a1pa

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to start the paperwork for a suppressor to go on my Beretta 21A.

boone123

Is there room on the end of the stock barrel for the threads?
I have seen threaded  aftermarket barrels for sale.
Keep us posted. I have a couple of 21a  Brettas in 22.

RogueTS1

No, not enough room. The barrel is threaded and an extension with the proper outside threads for your suppressor is attached. The Beretta model does not seem to come off though. Not sure how it is secured. Versions for say the Walthers are torqued on and off so one can remove the slide from the barrel for cleaning etc. Tornado Tech is top notch for all your threading needs and very affordable.

What suppressor do you have in mind M82?
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

m82a1pa

Here's what it looks like, with the aftermarket barrel I bought.  The barrel is a modified Beretta barrel:

jupiter7

22lr is the only supressor I've ever been interested in. Got an AAC Element a couple years back and use it on a threaded savage 93 bolt gun and a TacSol'd buckmark. It's nice not to need hearing protection. I've used the pistol to dispatch a few possum and one skunk in backyard within city limits without freaking out the locals. Cool factor is way up there. With a bolt action rifle all you hear is thud of bullet. Supressors are also legal for some forms of hunting here in TN.

Only issues I could see is the action cycling on the smaller guns with subsonic ammo. A supressed guardian in 32 would be pretty sweet though.

RogueTS1

I believe most if not all .25 auto ammo to be subsonic and yes the subsonic ammo does cycle the smaller autos but it is not needed since the barrels are too short for the normal or hyper velocity ammo to reach supersonic velocity. Hence it is just as quiet to use the normal or hyper velocity ammo resutling in one getting a harder hitting round for better terminal ballistics.

MR_22

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just had to post this picture a friend of mine found. Not sure if it's real or not, or why you would want to do this, but there ya go--an NAA mini with a suppressor!

There are certainly problem with doing this, the first of which is the escaping gasses from the cylinder gap, which make suppressing a revolver ineffective. The second is the short barrel and the possible lack of stability in the bullet, which could very likely lead to a baffle strike due to either a tumbling bullet, or an otherwise unstable bullet due to the short barrel.

Even so, it looks cool, so why not? :) Perhaps it's just a fake can anyway. I still like it.

Maybe I should have my hogleg barrel threaded... hmm. LOL.

RogueTS1

Now if you wrapped your hand with the pistol and suppressor in a freezer zip lock baggy it would fire quietly.