Earls, What barrel length do you recommend?

Started by magnum_mike, August-24-12 21:08

Previous topic - Next topic

magnum_mike

Looking at the Earls, what is the best all around barrel length for target with some close range hunting thrown in?

I like the looks of the 4"ers but then i think the 6"ers might be better with the additional sight radius. Anyone hunting with one? Anyone done any "serious" target work? Is the 6" barreled model balanced poorly?

What say the group??

EDIT: BTW, eye candy (pix) is HIGHLY encouraged!
mike
----------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

tocsn40

Tocsn40

Uncle_Lee

A pair of each.

The only way to go.

Then a set of Cvang grips for each.

I know with a 4" at 15 to 20 steps you can bust walnuts on the ground all day long. (or until you run out of ammo)
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

grayelky

For what you described, I think the best choice would be the 4".

The only way to find out is to buy all 3  , and after extensive research, make a report back on your decision as to which you prefer!  

Not to be picky , but the 6" is known as the Hogleg.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Uncle_Lee

OK, let's get picky.

It is the 1860 model line.

The 2 1/2" barreled model is the "Sherrif".

The 3" model has no name listed for it.

The 4" model is the "Earl".

The 6" model is the "Hogleg".

Therefore the only one to be named the "Earl" has a 4" barrel.

In the 1860 model line there is nothing to compare it to.  

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/earl.html">http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/earl.html

God, Country, & Flag

45flint

The 3 inch is call an Earl as well on the website

Uncle_Lee

Where????

I can't fine where the 3" is named.
God, Country, & Flag

grayelky

From your link, in the grid view, bottom row, far left, and here:

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/earl/1860-3c.html">http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/earl/1860-3c.html

Don't you know the folks who put together the web site spend hours making sure everything is just right, or even perfect. Then someone asks a simple question, and all of a sudden, there are some minor discrepancies that pop up!
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

magnum_mike

Well, going to keep an eye out for a 4" Earl. If i run across a 6"...ah hem...HOGLEG, i might give it a try instead. Really iust wanting a plinker with a tad more sight radius than my BW. Gonna be sending in the BW for a conversion soon.
mike
----------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

bleak_window

I saw a Sheriff today, but didn't get to handle it because some bozo was at the counter for half an hour looking at bullets.  Oh well, I wasn't going to buy today anyway.

The Sheriff looked SWEET and the boot grips looked absolutely beautiful, like lacquered rosewood, perfectly matched.  The thing is, it looked so BIG.  In fact, all the NAAs looked big in the display case.  I wonder if they have a magnifier front glass so people can see more detail...

keith44

I was surprised at how big my mini magnum was.  The magnum frame, with the 1 5/8 inch barrel at first looked too big to hide as well as some have claimed.  I bought it anyway figuring it'd stick out like a sore thumb.  The thing is, even in sweat pants, with the gun in the factory pocket holster, in the right hand pocket even my wife does not notice it.  I wear it around the house all the time, and no one even gives it a glance.   Very confidence inspiring for a new CCW permit holder.  Now if I can just figure out how to hide a 1911 in swim trunks...