Greeting

Started by MOJOHN, September-07-16 18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

MOJOHN

I just bought my new NAA 22 LR /Mag revolver. Love it & carry it everywhere but the shower. My question I'm sure is a popular one. What are the pros / cons of 22 Mag vs LR ? Currently my revolver is loaded w/ 22 Mag Hornady Critical Defense rds. I use Remington Yellow Jacket hollow-points in my other 22 LR pistols, revolvers & rifle that leave nasty exit wounds in hunted vermit. Would love to hear from other NAA  shooters opinions on the ammo that someday may save my life.   

Thank You,

John

OLD and GRUMPY

Welcome. Practice with LR save the expensive mags for carry. This is a short range gun. They take a lot of practice to hit anything far out. Most of the guys like Gold Dots.

Check out the other topics and post. We like pictures!
Death before Decaf !!!!!

zburkett

On the farm I carry LR CCI "Quite rounds" about the power of a short I think.  They won't cycle my AR7.  But my threat is snakes and other varmints where shot placement is more important than power and they don't make my ears ring.  When I go to town and may have to use a pistol for more social reasons I carry Mag.  Welcome to the forum.

To Old To Run

MOJOHN

Welcome to the forum.
I can only speak from the meager testing I have done with the 22lr, because I don't own the 22mag.  The Yellow Jacket seems to have the best results for my mini.  They did expand when I shot them at some milk jugs filled with water; but when you come right down to it, I don't think it will really matter which one you use just as long as it goes bang when you have to use it.

Uncle_Lee

Welcome MOJOHN,
What ever ammo you use isn't worth buying if it don't hit the target.
Practice X 100.... (Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, etc.)

When/if the time comes that you need it real bad, you will probably need to hit a moving target.
Don't expect for it (bad guy/girl, big bad dog, etc.) to stand still exactly 7 yards from you so you can hold the mini in two hands and take the time to get a good sight picture.
If you are not ready, you will loose that one.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

top dog

MOJOHN,
First,welcome to the forum. A lot of fine folks here with a lot of good advice.

My thought on the subject is that probably any magnum round will do at the typical short range of a confrontation whether it be two or four legged.

Practice often using the 22lr cylinder and I would suggest at ten feet or less with playing card size targets. If you can hit that target with consistency I would think that you are doing well.

I must give you some fair warning here though,that Mini you bought will not be your only. They tend to "multiply" quite often. Don't fight the urge,just go with it... We're here to help you.

Top Dog

Ruger

Quote from: top dog on September-12-16 06:09
. . . . . . . . I must give you some fair warning here though,that Mini you bought will not be your only. They tend to "multiply" quite often. . . . . . . . . . .

They are indeed like Tribbles, but you pay for them . . . . .
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

grayelky

Since you have the option, do most of your practice with the LR, but before leaving the range, run 3 or 4 cylinders of magnum your brain will think you have been practicing with the mag round all day. If you have small children, nice they go to bed, remove your cylinder and, during commercials, practicing cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger. Vary it with slow, aimed "fire" at different objects around the room. This will help your fingers to lessen, and get used to handling the small revolver, as well as target aqusition. It will not hurt you gun to polish the moving parts against each other. You will be surprised how much more accurate you will become at the range.

As to your ammo question, I suspect your vermin were taken with a rifle. Amazing things happen when you add velocity/barrel length. I prefer the Critical Defense, with Speer Gold Dots a VERY close second. The magnum may not develop a lot more velocity from our short barrels, but it will not have less. Every little bit will help when it is needed most.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Canoeal

Welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of good help here.
As to your question, I did not even bother with the 22lr. Yes you could practice with it, but the mag is a different animal, with more kick out of the little gun and I would make sure you practiced at least some with it.
I carry Gold dots in the Black Widow and use the heavier Hornadys in my four inch barreled full size. Both work better than any rifle round because of the slower burning  gases of the rifle round being expelled withe the bullet out of a handgun. Some will  keyhole as a result.
Gold Dots and Hornady ftxs are designed and perform better with short barrels.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

rkclark

Quote from: MOJOHN on September-07-16 18:09
I just bought my new NAA 22 LR /Mag revolver. Love it & carry it everywhere but the shower. My question I'm sure is a popular one. What are the pros / cons of 22 Mag vs LR ? Currently my revolver is loaded w/ 22 Mag Hornady Critical Defense rds. I use Remington Yellow Jacket hollow-points in my other 22 LR pistols, revolvers & rifle that leave nasty exit wounds in hunted vermit. Would love to hear from other NAA  shooters opinions on the ammo that someday may save my life.   

Thank You,

John

CCI 40gr Maxi-Mag in mine. I prefer a larger and more effective caliber for personal defense so I rarely carry mine except when I run.

jennflip

Do not dry fire this pistol without the cylinder---I popped one of the interior springs by doing this and was told by customer service not to dry fire these pistols!!!!
       What you can do with the LR cylinder is use the "yellow" plastic thingies you put in a wall to screw into----perfect fit for the LR cylinder and gives a cushion for the firing pin.....you can dry fire to your hearts content using these....and they should be rotated some.......

Scott Free

I, too, had to return my little revolver to NAA after dry firing without the cylinder. If you're going to dry fire, use the yellow wall anchors as posted above.