Which Gun To Start?

Started by oldhunter, April-29-12 19:04

Previous topic - Next topic

oldhunter

I have looked at many NAA revolvers over the years, lurked around this site for awhile and now have decided to shop for a new gun.  Although I have numerous handguns, I find that in recent years I tend to carry my P-32 more than anything else.  I firmly believe that a new NAA either in .22LR or .22Mag is "necessary" as a supplement to or a replacement for the P-32.  The question is what do I start with?  Will only buy one now but if satisfied, no doubt will add another NAA soon.

oldhunter

boone123

Oldhunter.

Having gained a little expertise that goes back a bit with NAA guns, and knowing what I think I know now, I would start out with a Black Widow with both cylinders.

If you are still here after a couple of weeks, I will wish you welcome to the forum.

heyjoe

NAA is comng out with a new firearm, the sidewinder. a 22 magnum mini with a swing out cylinder. there is a thread or two on it here.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

chopprs

....beat me to it!

Why would he not be here after a couple weeks?

boone123

I am giving some serious thought to holding off on the Sidewinder till I can get both cylinders, depending on initial cost to forum members of the early bird 22 Mags.

louiethelump

Oldhunter:

Welcome to the fourm.  There is a nice selection of NAA guns to choose from.  My personal favorite is the Sheriff.  It has the upgraded frame with the real rear sight notch in it and a little longer barrel and is something you can really shoot.  That is just my take and you may feel differently.

Boone, if you are still here when they come out, holding off on getting one until both cylinders are available may be a good idea.  It may be awhile but may well be worth the wait.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

boone123

chopprs

....what does an exclamation point mean?

Sorry if I missed something.

Here is a pic of the new gun, it is really kewl!

swolf

My first was a Black Widow.  I'm not a big time shooter, but it's been nice having a gun that works well for carry AND plinking.  I'm sure I would have come back and got a BW if I had started with another model.

Uncle_Lee

Chopprs,

That picture you posted------is that a centerfire?

It looks like primers in the back end of those cartridges.......

Might be just a "C", but sure had me drooling for a second.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

chopprs

Glasses Lee.....GLASSES!!!

It is a "C"!

Uncle_Lee

Made the old heart pump, it did.

I would even take a pair of 25acp minis.....
God, Country, & Flag

top dog

Dumb question here,the cylinder comes out on the RIGHT side?? Most cylinders come out on the left,except for the Charter lefty.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Top Dog

chopprs

Because of the way the action is it can not open to the left.

boone123

In all the NAA revolvers both the hand and the cylinder bolt are on the left side, so the simple solution to that was to have the cylinder open out to the right. Southpaws will probably love it.

bud

Works for me!

millsriver

I have owned three NAA's and currently have two. I would second the Black Widow magnum with a LR conversion cylinder. I put the boot grips on mine and love shooting it with either cylinder. You can't go wrong with your starter NAA as you will acquire more.
When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

glenn

Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

boone123

Glenn.

I got to say, that looks more normal.

Kind of like cars from countries that have their steering wheel on the right side. They can look good, but they don't look quite right, to us.

Who knows, maybe S&W will see the light and join the new trend.

Which ever the flip, I like!

glenn

Been thinking about loading procedure ... I think it'll be ok.    Just poke the cylinder thru with one's thumb instead of middle finger.  Thumb thru the frame / other four fingers holding gun ... reload with right hand.   I don't think it will take much "Adjusting to".
Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

chopprs

Oh... I am sorry, has everyone met Glenn?

Nice guy, wrecked the forum for everyone but comes back and acts like nothing happened.....

boone123

Merry-go-round-time again.

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

oleshep

recovering from a ha so havent been on the old computer a lot lately. Since i heard about the new sidewinder I decided to hold off till its available. Does anyone have any ideas as to its pricing?

heyjoe

its targeted at $350.

chopprs

.....aim well.....it's a BIG target! LOL

oldhunter

Since my initial posting on April 29, 2012, I shopped around and finally ordered a Black Widow that I picked up Friday, 6/8/12.  Hope to go to the range tomorrow and try it out.  Obtained both cylinders and expect to shoot a lot of LR and enough magnums to determine shot placement.  Will follow up after afterward with comments.

oldhunter

louiethelump

Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

Uncle_Lee

Mr. Hunter,

You will need a Mini Master to go with it.
God, Country, & Flag

oldhunter

Finally got to the range yesterday and got to shoot my new Black Widow. Tried several brands and all performed about the same. Most of my shooting was at 10-15 feet and quickly discovered that if I did my job I was able to keep 4 out of 5 in a 4" group.  When I got lazy and didn't concentrate, more like a shotgun pattern. All shooting was with .22 LR as I had to use the indoor range that restricts .22 magnums. Outdoor ranges closed because of maintenance requirements.  Tried a few shots at 50' with a steady rest but only hit a 8x11 sheet of paper a couple of times (lucky). Both hits keyholed badly. In summary, this gun will shoot if I do my job but believe it will take much more practice before a quick point and shoot will produce anything but a spray and pray result. All the more reason to get out and shoot it and still have to see how magnum loads work.      oldhunter

heyjoe

your range restricts 22 magnum? i guess 25 acp is out then too.

lohman446

LOL - my range restricts anything with the magnum designator.  I can shoot .357 Maximum (if I had a firearm chambered for it) but not .357 Magnum.  Its what happens when insurance companies get to write rules
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun" - Tenzin Gyatso - the 14th dalai lama

gunr

How about a 600 Nitro express, Both barrels at the same time!

Dinadan

Oldhunter - I think Black Widow is a great choice for a first Mini. As to  

accuracy, I do not envision using it at more than ten to fifteen feet for  

self defense. I do keep trying to hone my accuracy with my Minis,  

and it is a challenge.

GeorgeH

Go with the Pug.