Black Widow vs Black Bear

Started by boots, August-22-12 15:08

Previous topic - Next topic

boots

I am fortunate to live in area with an abundance of wild life. I grow organic produce and have bee hives.  There are a number of black bears around and a concern is them finding my hives.  I walk some every evening and the other evening I came around a bend in the path were there are a bunch of blackberries.  I saw a bear about 50' ahead and wanted to scare him off [I could have legeally killed him/her but just wanted to move him on.  

I dedided to fire one round from the BW and it was very loud.  The bear ran off and my bees are safe.  A neighbor took this and I think it is the same bear.

BW 1 Bear 0

jupiter7

Typical of most blackies, a little noise and they're gone. Hope your packing something larger, just in case. I just ordered a .460 Rowland kit last week, just in case.

Dinadan

Boots - I hope he stays scared off. In my experience with trying to scare wild  

animals out of my backyard fruit trees, they just will not take a hint that they  

are not wanted. I really do not want to hurt any wild animal (unless I plan to  

eat it) but sometimes nothing else works for me. I do not have bears, just  

raccoons, opossums, squirrels and assorted birds.

deets

The black bears came down every so often when I lived in Crescent City, CA... we we're about 200 yards from the boundary of Redwood National Park, where I was a Ranger.  

They seemed to scare easily, so it wasn't much of a problem.  

Now, if the Grizz were still in CA... would have been a whole 'nother thing.

boots

Jupiter, I always carry something larger but mostly because of other stuff.  We use have feral dog and cats but now a problem is Coyote and Cougar [reported but not verified]and rapid coons.  Mostly I worry for my bird dogs.  

Unless the bears find the hives they should not be a problem and they do scare easily.

bud

Deer hunter in tree stand, ready to share stand with bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHf6sv5Hvtw">www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHf6sv5Hvtw

lewiss

Jupiter, did you get that .460 Rowland kit installed on your NAA Mini yet? I'd love to see a pic of that! Boots, where I grew up in Oklahoma we also had trouble with rapid coons. The slower racoons weren't as big an issue as the rapid ones :)