Nice Engraved Short w/ Stags on GB

Started by mndoug, December-02-11 16:12

Previous topic - Next topic

mndoug

Pretty nice-looking, I think.  Real stag grips.  I bid $250, but it's not enough (It's a non-disclose reserve auction.)  I'll bet it's $350 or higher...

Maybe someone else here wants it??  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=261632268">GB auction is here.

umpire

Is it just me or does the hammer on  that shortie look out of place,also at the top rear of the frame coming to a point above the hammer slot ,sumpton bout it don`t look right

Evening ,Gents

coinchop

Its an older model with no safty notches.../

chopprs

I got $750 for mine... but it made that one look like cheez-wiz.

chopprs

umpire

There ya go again Chopprs , making me drool all over my key board.

I like them engraved mini guns.  but I can`t have one ,cause I would have to go out and shoot `em, there too pretty for that.

patriotjoe

That is one nice looking pistol Choppers.

mndoug

A real beauty, Mr. Chops... But I just can't shake the idea the engraving on both of these examples are missing something... Perhaps it's the phrase "Stand closer, it's shorter than you think."  

chopprs

Doug said: "Stand closer, it's shorter than you think."

...is that what you told the girls you dated in High School Doug?????

mndoug

CHOPS:  Give me a moment to think of a rejoinder equal to your lame comment... oh, wait, I have it:

Yo Mama!

P.S.  With regard to my high school days:  Hey, the girls wouldn't have been able to  comment on something they  hadn't seen.  I've heard there was no conversation about you and yours at all.  

mndoug

So on a serious note... Could one take an engraved pistol (with no contrasting, like the one that began this thread) and somehow add something that works on the "engraving cuts" and turns them black?  (An acid, or surface reactant, or something?)

So it would look something like this:

Dinadan

Mndoug - I think that the problem is that the engraving is just not that  

great. So maybe you could improve it but still not make it really good.

chopprs

Otto Carter simply uses black enamel paint. If it wears off anyone can redo it easily and with little cost. The contrast added to an engraved gun by enameling is in my opinion the finishing touch. a gun looks unfinished if it is engraved an not enameled.

mndoug

Ahhh... always the simplest fix is best!  Thanks Chopprs.

ajr

Chopprs: "a gun looks unfinished if it is engraved an not enameled."

That's not 'always' the case though. It depends on the style of engraving. I totally agree with your statement regarding the relief style that Otto Carter often displays, but the very common style (on guns especially) of punched dot background (raised dot, beaded, etc.) looks very good (IMHO better) without any paint, filler or background treatment to the lines and dots.

Andy

chopprs

...well, I do not care for that particular style so I guess my statement does not apply!