Wheel Gun Wednesday

Started by smokeless joe, October-18-17 06:10

Previous topic - Next topic

1sogdusm

I grew up reading books like Six Guns by Elmer Keith, we now define pocket gun a little different than they did in that period. Take a look at the Newman slip guns , I guess big men had big pockets!! Now that I am retired and only play with guns my biggest decision is what gun will I carry on my trip to the barn today!  Yesterday I declared a Black Powder Day, only problem is most of the day was spent cleaning up after shooting for several hours. Life is hard, what will I carry today????

redhawk4

Quote from: 1sogdusm on December-16-17 07:12
I grew up reading books like Six Guns by Elmer Keith, we now define pocket gun a little different than they did in that period. Take a look at the Newman slip guns , I guess big men had big pockets!! Now that I am retired and only play with guns my biggest decision is what gun will I carry on my trip to the barn today!  Yesterday I declared a Black Powder Day, only problem is most of the day was spent cleaning up after shooting for several hours. Life is hard, what will I carry today????

That's the problem with black powder, it's a lot of fun, but you need plenty of spare time to deal with the aftermath. Perhaps retirement is the answer, I find mine gets overlooked in the safe, because the cartridge guns require so much less attention and often I seem to be in a rush just to get out and shoot, so cleaning has to wait for a week.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

MR_22

If all goes well today, I might be buying a Taurus .45ACP revolver from a guy who needs Christmas money. I love shopping for guns from these guys between Thanksgiving and Christmas! Best time to buy a used gun. If I get it, I'll certainly post a pic.

redhawk4

Quote from: MR_22 on December-16-17 09:12
If I get it, I'll certainly post a pic.

You'll have to wait until Wednesday :) :)

1sogdusm

Eating a late breakfast, this just the way it is around my place.

1sogdusm

It's not Wednesday?? What?

redhawk4

Quote from: 1sogdusm on December-16-17 10:12
It's not Wednesday?? What?

If it is overslept . . . . by 3 1/2 days :(

heyjoe

glad to hear it! thanks!

Quote from: 1sogdusm on December-15-17 18:12
Heyjoe it works ok, shot it today and it seems to work as designed.  Ringing he gong at 20 yards, not bad for 1880s.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

RogueTS1

Quote from: MR_22 on December-16-17 09:12
If all goes well today, I might be buying a Taurus .45ACP revolver from a guy who needs Christmas money. I love shopping for guns from these guys between Thanksgiving and Christmas! Best time to buy a used gun. If I get it, I'll certainly post a pic.

What model? 455 maybe?

If so; you can have a gunsmith ream the cylinder a bit and you can then shoot .45 acp with moon clips or .45 Colt.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

MR_22

Yeah, it's a Model 455. Reaming a cylinder is pretty expensive, isn't it? I have a Taurus Judge and a Leinad 5-shot pepperbox that shoots .45-Colt. Ammo is expensive compared to .45ACP. I think the two I have are sufficient. :)

RogueTS1

QuoteReaming a cylinder is pretty expensive, isn't it?

Not around my parts ........................ either way; the 455 is great. You will love it.

PS: reloading is the key to shooting .45 Colt and remaining happy.  ;)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

heyjoe

whats a rough estimate of how much it costs to ream a cylinder....i never looked into it but thought about it.

Quote from: RogueTS1 on December-18-17 10:12
QuoteReaming a cylinder is pretty expensive, isn't it?

Not around my parts ........................ either way; the 455 is great. You will love it.

PS: reloading is the key to shooting .45 Colt and remaining happy.  ;)
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

boone123

No peeking till Wednesday. Went out today and shot some of these. Included is 22 short that I made  a lanyard for yesterday.The short is sure not a target gun.

Warthog

Apparently we all have a different calendar, I will wait for wednesday to post more of mine. ::)

Boone, I should get my 22 Short back soon, it will become the fob for my pocket watch.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

boone123

I said, no peeking till Wednesday. Today was better than never...There can in sometimes be 6 or 7 Wednesdays in my week. It just don't matter.
I am now thinking that a lanyard might be the real deal on my Earl..

Warty, are you just going to let the short dangle on the chain out in the open? I wear bibs sometimes, and carry a antique pocket watch. Have a bunch. The reason I like lanyards is, if I carry a mini short in my jeans watch pocket I can hook the chain on a belt loop so I don't have to worry about losing it.
If I  have my 22 short with me, there will also be one of its bigger friends along also.

Warthog

I will use it like the fob, it will be in my front pocket with the watch in the watch pocket and the chain will be hanging because I like how that looks.

I know, I was only kidding Boone. ;)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

LHB

Chamber reaming, I bought a reamer from Brownells to change a 32 Colt New Police/S&W Long Colt Detective Special into a 32 H&H Mag, and did it myself.  Took maybe 20 minutes.

lefty dude

Usual charge is Approx. $10.00 a hole.

Bj

Hey, Wednesday is getting closer as a reminder of anyone besides me that forgets stuff like that.

smokeless joe

Quote from: lefty dude on December-18-17 22:12
Usual charge is Approx. $10.00 a hole.
What are you a pimp 😄😄😄 just kidding. Couldn't resist tho.

RogueTS1

It has been a bit since I had it done but I believe it was just a tiny bit more than the above quoted $10.00 per hole.

smokeless joe

I will post this in hopes of getting my shipping notice soon.

MR_22

On this Wednesday, I'm scheduled to meet the guy who's selling me a Taurus 455 Tracker in .45ACP. I've been trying to find a good deal on one of these for probably over a year now. I've seen some sell on GunBroker, but I bow out when they get too high. This guy, like a lot of people right now, is selling guns to get money for Christmas, so the price is within my range and it's not an auction. So I'm happy and he's happy--as long as he shows up.

I'll get some pics posted later today. I'm building quite a nice Taurus whee gun collection.

RangerJim

Quote from: smokeless joe on December-20-17 05:12
I will post this in hopes of getting my shipping notice soon.
Hey, Joe:
I'll see your Ranger II image, and raise you an original Ranger and a CA-2000 ...   ;D
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Bigbird48

Can I call? with a couple of EB Sidewinders with consecutive serial #'s ::)

lefty dude

I WIN !
With a pair of Custom shop SAA Colts, with cons. Serial Numbers, caliber 44WCF, with factor fitted second cylinder/bushings in 44 special. Blued finish with CC frame. 4 3/4" barrels.
Photo's to be posted later !

redhawk4

Bigbird48

no no Lefty pictures on the table now or you forfeit,  8)no credit here ;D

RangerJim

Quote from: Bigbird48 on December-20-17 10:12
no no Lefty pictures on the table now or you forfeit,  8)no credit here ;D
Yeah, Lefty.  And keep your hands where we can see 'em ...   ;D

MR_22

All righty then, look what I just picked up: a Taurus Tracker model 455 in .45ACP with a 6.5-inch barrel. A very nice addition to my Taurus revolver collection.

RangerJim

Wow!  That's a Beauty, MR_22!  And a Beast!   ;D
Congrats on the new addition!   :)

Bigbird48

Nice,, ;D but you keep this up and you'll have to change your name

MR_22

Quote from: Bigbird48 on December-20-17 16:12
Nice,, ;D but you keep this up and you'll have to change your name

Yeah, my ID is already outdated, although it's probably close. I still have lots of .22's.

smokeless joe

Quote from: MR_22 on December-20-17 15:12
All righty then, look what I just picked up: a Taurus Tracker model 455 in .45ACP with a 6.5-inch barrel. A very nice addition to my Taurus revolver collection.
In a world of minis it would seem you're compensating for some short comings with a monster like that 😄

Seriously tho nice piece there MR_22

MR_22

Quote from: smokeless joe on December-20-17 17:12
Quote from: MR_22 on December-20-17 15:12
In a world of minis it would seem you're compensating for some short comings with a monster like that 😄

Seriously tho nice piece there MR_22

LOL. I'm just trying to increase the size of my... uh... Taurus revolver collection. Seriously, I have about 14 or more now. Since it's Wheel-Gun Wednesday, I should get a photo of them all. Plus the ported DB9. I'm gonna do it.