How about an NAA break-top single shot?

Started by kc, November-06-17 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

kc

I know it's way too soon to be wanting NAA to start another new project, but down the road a piece, when production is up to demand on the Ranger ii and we go back to talking about what we'd like to see them come out with... here's my vote. Being a fan of single-shots - handguns, rifles & shotguns - as well as break-top revolvers... I'd like to see NAA use their Ranger break-top design platform to produce a single-shot pistol.
Using the current frame, hinged barrel & lockup design, and eliminating the parts & processes specific to a revolver, it should be a relatively easy & inexpensive "new" design to bring to production. Something as simple as this

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/hopkins-allen-new-model-22lr-caliber-revolver-pr31894/

but smaller.

Think of the potential. Really good sights, with a variety of barrel lengths... perhaps interchangeable for the rimfires. Super-accurate dedicated .22 short (& .22lr) target-grade barrels.

Perhaps even a single-shot carbine.... maybe disassembling at the hinge - a "take-down" model. Or folding, similar to the little Chiappa .22. Hmmm.

With no cylinder and related chamber-wall thickness/chamber pressure restrictions, a small center-fire caliber might work (like the inherently-accurate .32)... in a pistol and carbine.

A lot of new accessories could be offered for such a model line, too. Target style grips.. travel case.. backpack case.. butt-stock ammo holder.. sling..

Sounds good to me... but like I mentioned, I like single shots. Especially unique, elegant ones. I do think that, marketed as an accurate sporting firearm (as opposed to defensive), it would sure attract many that aren't currently in the naa "fold" and really broaden the NAA fan base.

autofull

kc, i like your idea. expansion of a product line with the excellent weapons naa produces would be a superb selling point for them and we buyers. great thinking there my friend. look at what cobray and their fmj derringer line came up with.   my two, kevin.

Warthog

I would consider one but they don't seem to fit the product line, to me at least.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

tocsn40

I like the folding idea but with the 5 shot clyender  and a but stock. 15 in barrel  would do.
Tocsn40

seak

I think they would want some sort of safety now days and that would raise cost. JMOFO

cfsharry

That Hopkins and Allen is one sweet piece. Would love to have it but price too rich.
As for NAA doing a single shot; I doubt it as I believe the market would be too limited.
Think they wii produce new iterations of the breaktop for some time to come.

franco22

I have to agree with cfsharry. I don't think the demand would justify the cost of production. I do like the idea of a 22 magnum carbine based on the revolver though. I've been looking at the 22mag/22lr Taurus Circuit Judge for awhile.

tocsn40

Quote from: franco22 on November-08-17 07:11
I have to agree with cfsharry. I don't think the demand would justify the cost of production. I do like the idea of a 22 magnum carbine based on the revolver though. I've been looking at the 22mag/22lr Taurus Circuit Judge for awhile.
I have the circuit judge in 45/410. Love love that gun. Had no idea they had a 22 version out.
Tocsn40

cedarview kid

So, what, like the Butler or Colt single-shots?

Espresso4blood

burncycle

lign

Quote from: burncycle on November-08-17 23:11
Ya'll already know what I want ;)

Burn, that's incredible!  ;D Would love to know what talented Photoshopper created that image, complete with the Opera Glasses. Nice work!

kc

Not as much interest within the NAA forum members (for a single-shot) as I thought there might be... which sure might reflect a similar level of interest within the larger NAA fan base.
Maybe predictable, given that we (on the forum) seem to have a strong affinity for NAA's traditional offerings (minis), and most seem pretty satisfied with more in the same genre.

I wonder, tho, if something appealing more to the "sporting arms" (small game, target, etc.) market - in addition to the currently targeted market - isn't what it would take to expand the NAA fan base into the much larger sport-shooting fraternity.
I have to think it's more than just public awareness of their traditional models that's held NAA to a relatively small fan base.
On the other hand, maybe NAA has little interest in that kind of expansion, and prefers to stay the small but excellent manufacturing company that it is.
A few years ago, I had occasion to periodically spend time with one of the primary Glock factory law-enforcement instructor-trainers... and we repeatedly visited about models that we (LE & civilian consumers) would like to see offered. A smallish single-stack .22 magnum and a similar .22lr was near the top of the list, both for concealed/backup and sporting use. He acknowledged that Glock decision-makers were aware that both (especially the mag) would likely be one of their best selling models, and that Glock actually was planning to offer it... but that they were selling everything they could make as fast as they could make it and, as a business model, didn't want to produce ahead of the demand.
Years later, those models are still not available... and Glock is, from what I'm told, still selling at or near production capacity, without expanding their market focus.
Some very successful companies are already the size they want to be and prefer to stay there.
And perhaps, as some here have mentioned, the R2 will accomplish the same increase in public awareness and demand.

tocsn40

Quote from: lign on November-08-17 23:11

Burn, that's incredible!  ;D Would love to know what talented Photoshopper created that image, complete with the Opera Glasses. Nice work!
There is a lot of photos of this gun to have been photoshoped in my opinion.  They say it would not take much to make
Tocsn40

Warthog

I am sure that not enough folks would buy this so NAA isn't going to make one.  Other makers are already making things like this though and they might make what you seek.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

burncycle

Quote from: lign on November-08-17 23:11

It's a one off custom built by teddybearrat on rimfirecentral forums.  Would definitely buy one if they were available!

PaducahMichael

Quote from: Warty62 on November-09-17 09:11
I am sure that not enough folks would buy this so NAA isn't going to make one.  Other makers are already making things like this though and they might make what you seek.

I feel the same way. My first thought was "Why?".
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

Kevin55

Google single shot pistol 22lr

Google Chippewa Little Badger survival rifle
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/89582/redirect

rogertc1

I've got a mag Badger.  Wrapped the stock in para cord and got a take down screw off Ebay.  Fun little gun. Inexpensive.

kc

Nice pic Kevin55. I have a Model 35, and it's accurate. Wish they still made 'em... maybe in .32. Now that would be a shooter, and fun to reload cast bullets for.
I've handled the Little Badger a little, rogertc1; a neat little carbine. I remember reading some reviews & posts early on about it, and a couple of them indicated that the .22 mag that they had also handled the .22lr cartridge, pretty accurately and without splitting the case. I suspect that may have just been some of the early ones - I think they marketed & released the mag before the LR. It'd be nice if the mag & LR chamber dimensions were close enough for that to be the norm!

Setarip

A single shot is .22 would be kinda lame. Reminds me of that dumb life card single shot .22. Now make a small single shot in a .32acp or larger with a similar footprint to a mini might be interesting.