Mouse gun..

Started by David Culp, November-10-17 16:11

Previous topic - Next topic

David Culp

Has anyone used snake shot in their mini to shoot a mouse in their house. Is this a bad idea? I'm about ready to do it. I have a little farm house next to farmers fields and they do come in. The cats are getting too old to catch them

ajr

LOL! I'd say bad idea. Seems like you would have additional damage to fix and mess to clean up.  Not to mention the release of lead into the air in your house. Traps sound pretty efficient compared to this.

Andy

redhawk4

A BB gun would probably be a better investment if you need to shoot inside.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

ajr

Either way, make sure to wear eye protection, because shot (or a BB) will likely be ricocheting around the house.

Andy

redhawk4

You'll shoot your eye out, kid :)

ajr

May I add, in the words of Chen Lee (True Grit) and in my best politically incorrect Chinese accent, "Outside is place for shooting!"   ;D  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wxqFQj76U

Andy

ajr

Quote from: redhawk4 on November-10-17 16:11

LOL! Yeah, that too. Oh and this is officially my 200th post!   ;D

Andy

OLD and GRUMPY

Time for a new cat. A fresh young one will give new life to the old ones-- or kill them.  Cut there food just enough that the hunting urge kicks back in. A hungry cat will hunt-- and drive you nuts!
Death before Decaf !!!!!

David Culp

Yeah, I figured it's a bad idea but it just keeps popping in my head!

redhawk4

Poison and various traps are also a possibility before engaging in a high speed game of Dodge Ball using small diameter lead and steel balls - no where near as much fun though.

Gog

It does sound awfully fun but definitely not a good idea! lol

David Culp

Yeah I've got a humane mousetrap commercial grade that the cats won't get into our get poisoned etc. My granddaughter is over so if we catch it she'll make up drive a few miles away and release it

theysayimnotme

Poison seemed like a good idea in the garage. Mama rat & all her babies died in the wall. Terrible stink & had to cut hole in wall to get them out.

bill_deshivs

Poisoned rodents can be eaten by the cats-poisoning them. Bad idea!

Texduk3

Quote from: redhawk4 on November-10-17 16:11
a classic in so many ways
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

linux_author

glue traps are more humane - put into a paper bag, then in the freezer

i got a 2' x 3' spread using CCI mag snakeshot at 10 ft... that's a lot of damage to the flooring, baseboard and sheetrock!

willie
on the 'love to eat them mousies, mousies what i loves to eat, bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet' Gulf of Mexico

smokeless joe

Use a sticky trap where the cats can't get to it. I usually put a peanut right in the middle. Works every time.

mrmurl

I live in a rural area with fields and brush all around.  I do have three cats that live in the garage.  Usually keep two but a young cat just showed up and stayed.  I do feed them but they have to hunt.  Have not had a mouse in the house since started having the cats. 
Back when I was a kid, (long time ago) I used to shoot mice in the barn and corn krib  with a BB gun.  Dad used to keep me in BB's until he found out I was killing them elsewhere and counting them in the total.  He still expected me to kill the mice but I had to buy my own BB's.  Back then they were like a nickle a package of something like 200.  I had one of the old pump action BB guns.  That thing was a mouse and bird killer.
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

askbob

I have analyzed all the reasons that this is a bad idea, and it is, but being the Rosemont Park Redneck that I am; I like it!  Might be some clean-up involved, but compare that to dragging a Deer a mile out of the woods and you're still ahead of the game!  Also, not many Anti- hunters going to attack you for shooting a Rat!

Uncle_Lee

BB guns work wonderful.
Better yet are pump up 177 pellet rifles. Just 2 or 3 pumps - low power. Lead pellets don't bounce.
Long story.
My wife had a lot of fun evenings killing mice.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

zburkett

Just to be contrary, I shoot in my barn.  It is like shooting anywhere else.  Know what damage the shot will do and know if it is worth it.  I would be more likely to shoot something in my mud room (wood floor) than in my garage (concrete floor.)

Kevin55

Mouse traps.

Water bucket mouse catcher. 
5 gallon bucket with 1 gallon water.  Wire across the top, roller with peanut butter.
Plenty of examples how to build them.  YouTube has examples.  Catch them by the bucket full.

crosman american classic pump air pistol
I loaned mine to a friend who shot rats with it. Slow to load, super accurate.  At 18 feet, I shot across my apartment.  I used 25 cent size target centers as the target.  Put 3 shots with 1/4" if I was careful.  Fully pumped, it will do serious damage.

These air pistols are addicting.  Everyone who shot one, went out and bought one. Improved my aim tremendously shooting it every day.

OLD and GRUMPY

Might go bigger and use a trash can to catch squirrels ?  Thanks for the idea.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

Ruger

Quote from: OLD and GRUMPY on November-11-17 11:11
Might go bigger and use a trash can to catch squirrels ?  Thanks for the idea.

I'm sure it is scalable, but be careful . . .

Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

smokeless joe

Quote from: Ruger on November-11-17 13:11
I'm sure it is scalable, but be careful . . .
😄

OLD and GRUMPY

Moose like peanut butter?

Death before Decaf !!!!!

smokeless joe

PaducahMichael

Quote from: smokeless joe on November-11-17 14:11
Quote from: OLD and GRUMPY on November-11-17 14:11
Only jif

Crunchy or Creamy? We've got a real moose problem here. Need the best bait.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

smokeless joe

Quote from: PaducahMichael on November-11-17 16:11
Crunchy or Creamy? We've got a real moose problem here. Need the best bait.
Creamy. They don't like the peanuts getting stuck in their gums.

Kevin55

Quote from: smokeless joe on November-11-17 14:11
Quote from: OLD and GRUMPY on November-11-17 14:11
Only jif
ROFL

Yep, spread it on the tip of the diving board.

For mice...
One of a few variations.  Roller, teeter totter, ...
https://youtu.be/6SIlYiiCGLI

https://youtu.be/nsoVcrFyrF8

There is a screen top trap.
https://youtu.be/ChpMSrBbn3I

redhawk4

I thought he said Mouse gun, not Moose gun, pretty unfair expecting the cats to take on a Moose :)

To Old To Run

I don't think snake shot from a Mini will do much either : ;) ;D

swolf

A month ago I spent a few days in a farmhouse that had been unoccupied for a couple years and was being overrun by rodents.  I had set a couple live traps to catch the big pack rats, but mice kept tripping them and escaping through the holes.  I used my BW and CCI shotshells to take out several mice.  It did leave some pattern dimples on the wood floor, but seemed like much of the shot bounced. Ricochet shot wouldn't have done damage to anything. 
I would probably not use BB or pellets because even a weak shot could rebound and crack a glass something.  Victor traps and peanut butter are best, but not as fun.  For fun, try one of these:  a replica Mouse Gun from the late 1800's.  Peanut butter is placed on the underside of the long bar.  Gun is loaded with a few grains of powder and a paper wad (no lead.)  Mickey takes a lick and blows his own head off with the paper/concussion of the blast.

kc

LOL - Now that is original, swolf! Really creates a mental picture. About spit out my coffee!

Ruger

Quote from: To Old To Run on November-12-17 05:11
I don't think snake shot from a Mini will do much either : ;) ;D

Maybe not, but next time you are facing a Moose, shoot him in the face with the snake shot: let us know how that goes . . .
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.