The gun I’ve never fired

Started by smokeless joe, November-19-17 06:11

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeless joe

My father was given this as a present when he retired from his job. He left it to me when he passed away. It's 36cal black powder Navy model and was made in Italy by Euroarms Brescia. That's all I know about it. I keep it in a glass display table in my fathers memory. Just thought I'd share.

Warthog

Nice and a nice way to remember your father too.  It doesn't look bad, though I would need to check it over before I told you to go and shoot it. :)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

To Old To Run

PRICELESS.... both the gun and the story...touched my heart this morning.

smokeless joe

Quote from: Warty62 on November-19-17 06:11
Nice and a nice way to remember your father too.  It doesn't look bad, though I would need to check it over before I told you to go and shoot it. :)
Thanks warty. I think this one will go unfired and I'm ok with that.

Quote from: To Old To Run on November-19-17 06:11
PRICELESS.... both the gun and the story...touched my heart this morning.
Pop has been gone 17 years and I still think of him daily. Glad you liked the story.

Bigbird48

Great piece to remember  your Dad by. Thanks for sharing :)

smokeless joe

Quote from: Bigbird48 on November-19-17 06:11
Great piece to remember  your Dad by. Thanks for sharing :)
Yeah he was a big gun collector. He gave me my first mini back in the 80's. I remember it didn't have the safety notch in the cylinder. Wish I still had that one. I think I sold it to buy a magnum.

Bigbird48

Isn't it amazing how we all wheel and deal guns and stuff.My very first mini the 1-5/8's , I traded along with a Taurus 44 mag ( that hurt like hell to shoot ) for a motorcycle trailer I needed to take my bike to NH for the summer one year.

smokeless joe

Quote from: Bigbird48 on November-19-17 07:11
Isn't it amazing how we all wheel and deal guns and stuff.My very first mini the 1-5/8's , I traded along with a Taurus 44 mag ( that hurt like heck to shoot ) for a motorcycle trailer I needed to take my bike to NH for the summer one year.
Yes it is. Just hate the ones I look back at and think hmmm... maybe I should have kept that. Makes me wanna just hoard everything anymore.

Warthog

Nothing wrong with not firing it, it is something from your father and helps you remember him which is great.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

franco22

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story. What a great memorial to your father.

Uncle_Lee

1851 Navy..
My opinion - best looking - best balanced revolver ever made.
You have a good piece for remembrance of your father.

Euroarms, very good name.
If you ever wanted to shoot it. I wouldn't be concerned about loading it with powder & ball and firing it.

Post a close up of the left side of the frame under the cylinder and see when it was made.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

PeeShooter

Did you ever think about firing it just once on his birthday each year, in honor of him?

smokeless joe

Quote from: uncle_lee on November-19-17 12:11
1851 Navy..

If you ever wanted to shoot it. I wouldn't be concerned about loading it with powder & ball and firing it.

Post a close up of the left side of the frame under the cylinder and see when it was made.
I don't see any markings in that area but my eyes aren't what they use to be. I do see these markings if anyone can make them out.

smokeless joe

Quote from: PeeShooter on November-19-17 13:11
Did you ever think about firing it just once on his birthday each year, in honor of him?
No I think I'll just keep this one as is. I do however take my fathers burthday off every year and go to the range just like you said, in his honor. He loved guns and motorcycles. I guess I'm more like him than I thought.

Uncle_Lee

To the right of the "PN" it looks like XXX that would mean 1974 was the year it was made.

The "PN" means Black Powder.
God, Country, & Flag

smokeless joe

Quote from: uncle_lee on November-19-17 17:11
To the right of the "PN" it looks like XXX that would mean 1974 was the year it was made.

The "PN" means Black Powder.
Thanks for the info uncle_lee I appreciate your help

glenn

Just take it to the range with you on Dad's Birthday, Joe.
Good on you man !   Dad's remain with us forever.

~G
Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

OLD and GRUMPY

1851 Navy..

My first 51 Lay in the hand better than ANY other pistol including several Rugers.  Sam Colt got it right in 1851.

Death before Decaf !!!!!

OLD and GRUMPY

Death before Decaf !!!!!

OLD and GRUMPY

Colt 1851.  We all know the little black one,

The Rem mod 6 was Dads. The cane was my Great Grandpas.Have pics of me and him when I was 2.  He died that year. Won't rehash how dad shooting bats with the 6 led to shooting down Kamikazes.   
Death before Decaf !!!!!

smokeless joe

Quote from: OLD and GRUMPY on November-19-17 21:11
Colt 1851.  We all know the little black one,

The Rem mod 6 was Dads. The cane was my Great Grandpas.Have pics of me and him when I was 2.  He died that year. Won't rehash how dad shooting bats with the 6 led to shooting down Kamikazes.
What's the rifle on the bottom o&g. I have a Stevens 22 that looks similar. It was my grandfathers when he was young.

OLD and GRUMPY

Death before Decaf !!!!!

smokeless joe

Quote from: OLD and GRUMPY on November-20-17 06:11
thats a Remington mod 6.
How old is that. I'll have to get a shot of my grandfathers gun and post it.

Ruger

Nice Joe.  Nice, nice, nice.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

OLD and GRUMPY

Quote from: smokeless joe on November-20-17 06:11
Quote from: OLD and GRUMPY on November-20-17 06:11
thats a Remington mod 6.
How old is that. I'll have to get a shot of my grandfathers gun and post it.

Mine is 1910s?  The Stevens looks a lot like it.         http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_rollingblock_no6.htm
Death before Decaf !!!!!

smokeless joe

Here's some pics of my grandfathers Stevens that I mentioned O and G

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Warthog

Yeah, heirlooms are great.  I get most of my family's firearms when the older ones pass on.  Unfortunately, not many of them are really great old guns.  My family is not the best when it comes to firearms and those few who do own them tend to get something that is both affordable and shoots well.  So most of the time I wind up with old, no parts available guns that don't work and really have  no meaning to me since they aren't people who I knew very well.
-Albert Einstein

autofull

yep, i agree with the selection and quality of hand down family weapons but when my turn comes there will be some neato stuff to pass around and i hope ya can still transfer c3 items when that time arrives.  kevin.

Uncle_Lee

I have about 14 shoeboxes of unfired minis... 8)
God, Country, & Flag

WECSOG

Those Remington Model 6s are neat rifles. Very simple design.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

OLD and GRUMPY

Quote from: smokeless joe on November-19-17 16:11
1851 Navy..

I don't see any markings in that area but my eyes aren't what they use to be. I do see these markings if anyone can make them out.

This will tell you about the marks on your "51 .

Sam Colt got it right in 1851.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/ProofMarks/BPProofmarks.pdf

----
Took the Mod 6 out yesterday.  Try not to cry. Memories.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

RogueTS1

Quote from: autofull on January-06-18 18:01
yep, i agree with the selection and quality of hand down family weapons but when my turn comes there will be some neato stuff to pass around and i hope ya can still transfer c3 items when that time arrives.  kevin.

At this time if your Cl 3 items are in your will they will transfer tax free to your heir. If not listed they will have to go through the natural transfer process and tax.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.