Pug Review: publicity for our little revolvers in the Cheaper Than Dirt blog

Started by Boisesteve, December-23-17 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

zburkett

Nice article even if I do find practice improves my shooting.  I don't have a Pug (yet) but with the exception of the sights everything he said about the Pug applies to my 1 5/8" mini.

cbl51

Very good article!!!

I like the visual link to the early days of the self contained metallic cartridge and the S&W model 1. In 1857 when they campout with the .22 short, the S&W and the little 4 barrel Sharps were the latest thing in small defense guns. it was the opening of a whole new era in firearms. I guess you could say the S&W model 1 and the Sharps were the first mini guns made. Now a bit over a century and a half later, a mini .22 is still a viable option for a small self defense pocket gun.

I think that there always has been and always will be a market for the little pocket gun. Since the Queen Anne pistol to the mini, there's always been a need for small and concealable guns.

Texduk3

"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

gsp1951

Good review, and thanks for the link. I agree, the photo "history" was a nice additin!

linux_author

i don't really agree with one commenter's statement:

"the hammer can cam up and off the safety slot between cylinders during normal carry"

has anyone heard of this happening? i don't see how this is possible, but then again, i carry mine NAAs in either a Desantis or leather pocket holster

willie
on the skeptical Gulf of Mexico

tocsn40

Quote from: linux_author on December-25-17 10:12
i don't really agree with one commenter's
"the hammer can cam up and off the safety slot between cylinders during normal carry"

has anyone heard of this happening? i don't see how this is possible, but then again, i carry mine NAAs in either a Desantis or leather pocket holster

willie
Yes one time for me. But then i started to use pocket holster
Tocsn40

cbl51

willie

One time early on in my mini carry days, I found the hammer out of the safety notch. I took some leather and doubled it up and made a pocket holster right then. Never again ever did I carry and gun without some sort of pocket holster. My fist holster was just a piece of family heavy suede leather that I doubled up and stitched the outline of the gun. Lasted for many years. Also kept the pocket lint and debris out of the gun.

I'd feel a bit hincky abut just carrying loose in a pocket.

autofull

my mini,s have always been front pocket holster carried. never have had that happen to me.  kevin.

grayelky

willie
Before the safety notch, I carried hammer down on empty chamber. Never a problem. Since getting a safety conversion made, roughly 15-16 years ago, only one time have I found the cylinder rotated to an unsafe condition. I have only carried in a holster for the last 25 years, or so.

I have taught me to check my cylinder anytime my hand goes into my pocket. It I can feel a flute next to the top strap, the hammer is not on a safety notch, and I need to check it visually.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Scout24

Good tip on the non-visual check for flute next to top strap. Thanks...

Boisesteve

about the hammer moving out of the safety notch... when I first started carrying the minis, in the Freedom Arms days, it was always hammer-down on an empty chamber, like Grey said, and I never worried about it or had any unsafe conditions occur. After I got the NAA Spanish Fork L/R back when they came out in the '80's, I did the same for a while until I got a Bianchi soft-leather-with-metal-clip IWB belt holster that completely covered the hammer; then I started using the safety notch, loading to full capacity, and have had NO issues in around 30 yrs of daily carry with any untoward hammer movement or unsafe conditions developing. I still have that old Bianchi holster, though it's been replaced in daily use by a pocket holster made for me locally. If the hammer is down on a safety notch and the gun is down inside a holster I'm not worried about it.
Be well, Steve in Boise

Canoeal

Quote from: autofull on December-25-17 20:12
my mini,s have always been front pocket holster carried. never have had that happen to me.  kevin.

Ditto.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke