Appreciation for the safety notch

Started by Adk.IBO, January-17-18 13:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Adk.IBO

Last night getting to know my newly acquired Pug, 2nd NAA revolver, loaded with 5 magnum rounds I dropped it on a hard floor. Immediately thinking 'thank God for the safety notches'. I don't ever remember dropping a handgun before. The wife was already in bed, woulda had a hard time explaining that one!

Stay safe, John
Luke 23:34

postalman

Sandy and his team made them just for you.... and I'm sure many others, myself included, who can thank the safety notch for averting an accidental discharge.
"Let the gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."- Thomas Jefferson

grayelky

In the interest of full disclosure, I may have dropped a loaded NAA before. Once. Maybe twice, not sure. Yeah, I like the idea of the safety notch, too.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

redhawk4

It's easier to drop small things, don't feel so bad, it can happen.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

Chacha77

You would think that the safety notches would have been around on all kinds of revolvers, you would think it would have been easier to do a modification like that than adding a hammer block or a safety back in the day.

redhawk4

Quote from: Chacha77 on January-17-18 14:01
You would think that the safety notches would have been around on all kinds of revolvers, you would think it would have been easier to do a modification like that than adding a hammer block or a safety back in the day.

. . or carrying one less round than the revolver was made for.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

lefty dude

Interesting that the Colt & Remington Revolvers had a Safety similar to our Mini's.
Then when the 1873 Colt SAA arrived, they would have a very slight safety notch on the Hammer. Requiring the user to load five and be safe with the Hammer down on the MT chamber.

Scout24

Agreed, the safety notch is a wonderful thing. Nice knowing it's fully loaded and completely still safe.

seaotter

The safety notch is one of my favorite features of the mini. I know some have had the cylinder slip out of the notch, but I haven't experienced it. Of course I don't keep it loose in my pocket, either. It's always holstered. But I too have dropped it once or twice, and it's nice to have that measure of safety the notch provides.

Bigbird48

I keep mine on my little fold up table next to my lazyboy. The table is small and I have on more then 1 occasion while reaching for my coffee, phone, or glasses, knocked something else off the table including my mini ::) Yes the safty notch is a great feature. :)

autofull

if it were not for the safety notch i would not carry my naa stuff. no way am i gonna load four rounds in a five shot revolver. no room fer a transfer bar so, thumbs up on the notch.