Would You Buy a Pug??

Started by KYMiniFan, February-24-18 18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

KYMiniFan

I inherited a well loved .22mag with a 1 1/8" barrel.

As I've browsed the new NAA offerings, I love the look of the Pug and have flirted with adding one.

Aside from the "you can never have too many" factor, would the benefits of the Pug over my existing gun be enough to entice you to drop the cash on one?

Or would you pick up a different NAA product? 

If so, which one?

seaotter

as Always, I am a fan of the Black Widow. It is, for me, the best compromise of shootability, concealability, and flexibility. It has good sights (don't get the adjustable ones), a great grip, a slightly longer barrel than the MiniMags, and it fits easily into a front pocket. It can be a plinker, a small getter at short ranges, good snake gun, Woods gun, etc. I would get both cylinders. If you check the ballistics tables on the NAA website, you will notice that there isn't a lot of difference between the 22lr's and the wmr's, so you can use the 22 Lr cylinder mist of the time, fitting the war cylinder when you are using the Hornady or Speer short barrel wmr rounds.

Dinadan

Quote from: KYMiniFan on February-24-18 18:02
I inherited a well loved .22mag with a 1 1/8" barrel.

As I've browsed the new NAA offerings, I love the look of the Pug and have flirted with adding one.

Aside from the "you can never have too many" factor, would the benefits of the Pug over my existing gun be enough to entice you to drop the cash on one?

Or would you pick up a different NAA product? 

If so, which one?
Some things to consider.

1) The ballistics of the Pug are about the same as the .22mag with a 1 1/8" barrel.

2) It is hard to find a Pug with a LR Cylinder.

3) For plinking or recreational shooting a longer barrel as with the Black Widow is more fun.

My first NAA was a Pug and I still like it. It is great for pocket carry, but I bought mine because I liked the way it looked, and still do! If you like it, buy it.

I really prefer shooting LR over Mags, so I always suggest getting a Mini with a conversion cylinder if you plan to do much shooting. That is just me - some folks love a big bang! Anyway, there is no doubt that the  two to three inch barrels are better plinkers than the short barrels, so if you like shooting targets or old refrigerators then they will be more fun.

Bigbird48

Like many I EDC and love my Black Widow, But I have a bugout also and love its looks and with a mag conversion I think a better choice then a Pug. The Pugs a cool looking gun but the short barrel and the high price make the bugout a better choice in my opinion. TIFWIW YMMV 

Uncle_Lee

I carry two Black Widows and a Pug.

I think you should buy one of each.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

dale_az

I did buy a Pug (my 1st Mini) years ago.  I also have the BW. 
Love them both.  I carry the Pug the most often in a pocket holster from Rick.
Nice set up.
Dale - AZ

RICKS PLACE

I have owned a Pug.   Great gun.  Why I sold it I don't know.  Like many others, my always  gun is my B-W.
In fact, I ordered another B-W (NAA-BWC) last week so I would have the newer white dot fixed sights.  If I ever get it, I will then order another Pug with the hopes I can get it with the 22LR cylinder. I have had my current B-W since 2009 when I bought it new.  You can't go wrong with either.  If NAA ever gets the problems with the Ranger II taken care of, hopefully we might start finding the old stand-bys back on the shelves.

David Culp

I have six naa and have yet to get abw or a pug. They just don't appeal to me but I will never say never. I like my sidewinder and once I shoot my bts plan to use then the most. Different strokes for different folks. Do whatever feels right to you, you're the only person you need to please.

KYMiniFan

Quote from: Bigbird48 on February-24-18 20:02
Like many I EDC and love my Black Widow, But I have a bugout also and love its looks and with a mag conversion I think a better choice then a Pug. The Pugs a cool looking gun but the short barrel and the high price make the bugout a better choice in my opinion. TIFWIW YMMV

Great idea to consider the Bugout.  Hadn't even thought of that!

KYMiniFan

Thanks everyone.  Appreciate your input.

Will def. look into a naa with a longer barrel- may even consider a mini-master or a sheriff or earl.

Also will be sure to grab both cylinders if the gun I decide on offers LR & WMR options.

Bigbird48

Just remember the longer barrels are harder to conceal and pocket carry ;D
Quote from: KYMiniFan on February-25-18 16:02

Will def. look into a naa with a longer barrel- may even consider a mini-master or a sheriff or earl.

Also will be sure to grab both cylinders if the gun I decide on offers LR & WMR options.

smokeless joe

Would I buy a Pug? Absolutely. It's currently my edc. Every now and then I'll trade it out for a day and give my Black Widow some love. Here's my normal carry set up.

waretrop

Joe, That is a nice piece, for sure.

seaotter

https://youtu.be/RW-_kEhj9Bc

Above is a link to a great Truth About Guns review of the 4 inch sidewinder. Most of what he says would apply to the 4 inch Earl as well. The review is both positive and informative. It's almost enough to make me want to buy one!

Uncle_Lee

I scrolled on to Joe's picture and my old eyes said "AHHHHH".
God, Country, & Flag

smokeless joe

Quote from: waretrop on February-25-18 19:02
Thanks waretrop. The grips give it a good look along with great control.

Quote from: uncle_lee on February-26-18 04:02
I knew you would appreciate a picture with your coffee unc ;)

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: smokeless joe on February-26-18 04:02
Quote from: waretrop on February-25-18 19:02
Thanks waretrop. The dips give it a good look along with great control.

Quote from: uncle_lee on February-26-18 04:02
I knew you would appreciate a picture with your coffee unc ;)

OH YES and thanks.
God, Country, & Flag

KYMiniFan

Quote from: seaotter on February-25-18 21:02

https://youtu.be/RW-_kEhj9Bc

Above is a link to a great Truth About Guns review of the 4 inch sidewinder. Most of what he says would apply to the 4 inch Earl as well. The review is both positive and informative. It's almost enough to make me want to buy one!

Thanks seaotter!  Appreciate the info!

RogueTS1

When I carry a mini it is always the Pug. So, I guess the obvious answer to your question from me is, "Yes, I would definitely buy a Pug."
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Texduk3

would I buy a pug?  yes
I have a BW, 2 cyl and  1/5/8 2 cyl (EDC)
however,  .
the last 
handgun (last week)
was
a .357 revolver,   8)
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

KYMiniFan

Quote from: Texduk3 on February-26-18 15:02
would I buy a pug?  yes
I have a BW, 2 cyl and  1/5/8 2 cyl (EDC)
however,  .
the last 
handgun (last week)
was
a .357 revolver,   8)

Love a .357 Texduk3!

smokeless joe

Yeah my last handgun purchase was the Ruger LCR 357. I absolutely love it. I have never fired a short barreled magnum with the comfort that this one provides. They sure got it right with this one. I sold a Ruger sp101 357 because it hurt my hand every time I fired it. Not the case with the LCR. Going back to the range with it and my RII tomorrow. I'll post the RII results again later in the day. 

autofull

i own three pugs, great little revolver. i also have the lr cylinders for them. you cannot go wrong with the pug line. if ya try one ya,ll will love it. even the stock grips are great. my choice as a  pocket carry piece daily. mine have the night sights but that is how they came. i will admit that since the florida tragedy i have also been sticking my shoulder holster with a colt combat commander on in the morning, but the jitters will pass. my two again on the pugs.  kevin in pa.

KYMiniFan

Quote from: smokeless joe on February-26-18 19:02
Yeah my last handgun purchase was the Ruger LCR 357. I absolutely love it. I have never fired a short barreled magnum with the comfort that this one provides. They sure got it right with this one. I sold a Ruger sp101 357 because it hurt my hand every time I fired it. Not the case with the LCR. Going back to the range with it and my RII tomorrow. I'll post the RII results again later in the day.

I've got a .22 Ruger Sp101 that I enjoy shooting.  Can't imagine a .357 being fun in that platform.

One of my favorite .357's to shoot is my Ruger GP100 3" Wiley Clapp Edition. 

Bigbird48

Well I pulled the trigger on a S&W 442 air today well can't actually pull the trigger till Thursday when it comes in :D. I hope its all its been cracked up to be.

riadat

I would skip the pug if you already have the mini mag, but that is just me.  I have a 1 5/8 mini mag with the sight filed down and the pug grip.

Way cheaper than the pug and at 10 feet you won't know the difference.

smokeless joe

Quote from: KYMiniFan on February-27-18 19:02

I've got a .22 Ruger Sp101 that I enjoy shooting.  Can't imagine a .357 being fun in that platform.

Very nice sir

KYMiniFan

Quote from: riadat on February-27-18 21:02
I would skip the pug if you already have the mini mag, but that is just me.  I have a 1 5/8 mini mag with the sight filed down and the pug grip.

Way cheaper than the pug and at 10 feet you won't know the difference.

Thanks Riadat!

KYMiniFan

Quote from: smokeless joe on February-28-18 03:02
Quote from: KYMiniFan on February-27-18 19:02

Very nice sir

Thanks Smokeless Joe.  Been thinking about an LCR myself.  Hope your range time was enjoyable.

smokeless joe

Had a great time. Both the Ranger and LCR shot well.

waretrop

I love all your Pugs I just had to go out and buy one....

waretrop

another shot....

smokeless joe

Nice. If you like it half as much as I like mine you'll love it.

Gobbletn

Quote from: smokeless joe on March-12-18 18:03
Nice. If you like it half as much as I like mine you'll love it.

Slip it in your watch pocket in your jeans,,, perfect!
Not sure why, but Dad always said "Shoot Straight" before every hunt

Eastex

I just did, still waiting for it to make down here though. There was a interesting post about a possible future Black Widow model coming up with XS sights on another thread that caught my eye. If it was currently out that would have made my choice a little harder but if I like the Pug as much as I think I will I could see adding a bigger brother down the road somewhere. My SP101 lives just fine with GP100!