Previous topic - Next topic

bill_deshivs

Thank you!
Yes, I did the engraving.

PaducahMichael

Quote from: bill_deshivs on May-15-18 22:05
Thank you!
Yes, I did the engraving.

Like I said before, you are indeed a Renaissance Man! Nice work.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

gebe

Very, VERY nice Bill! I'm jealous!

Dinadan

Very nice abalone examples, Gebe. I can see why you love the stuff.

Bill, that engraved Short is a beauty! And I like the grips too.

old_sarge

Hi, new to the forum and just bought my first mini yesterday.  I know this isn't a pocket knife (and certainly not my daily carry!) but I saw some other types of knives in pictures so thought I'd share.  My brother-in-law, an artist in metal, made this when he planned to try out for "Forged in Fire".  It's rebar - notice the twist on the grip.  Speaking of grips, I see what appears to be a slip-on grip (Hogue perhaps?) on the Pug here - do they make them for the 22LR as well?

old_sarge

Basslessaccusations

That is some beautiful engraving as well as grips Mr DeShivs. A man of many talents!

Warthog

AWEET!  Very nice bill, you do nice work.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Dinadan

Quote from: old_sarge on May-16-18 13:05
Hi, new to the forum and just bought my first mini yesterday.  I know this isn't a pocket knife (and certainly not my daily carry!) but I saw some other types of knives in pictures so thought I'd share.  My brother-in-law, an artist in metal, made this when he planned to try out for "Forged in Fire".  It's rebar - notice the twist on the grip.  Speaking of grips, I see what appears to be a slip-on grip (Hogue perhaps?) on the Pug here - do they make them for the 22LR as well?

old_sarge
Welcome to the forum, Sarge. NAA does sell the Hogue style grip for the LR. Here is a link to the sales page: https://northamericanarms.com/shop/accessories/gso-l/
https://northamericanarms.com/shop/accessories/gso-l/

Dinadan

Continuing the theme of pearl abalone, here is my LR with a nice German made Fight'n Rooster. The MOP on this knife is better than this photo would indicate.

PaducahMichael

Sarge, WELCOME to the asylum. I really like that knife! Rebar, Huh? Makes a nice grip.

Dinadan, that's a sweet looking pocket knife! What is the blade shape called? Looks handy.

Warthog

Welcome SARGE!  Hope you stick around.

I will get some more pix going either today or tomorrow.  Gotta pick up my new gun and do some errands yet but maybe today.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

ikoiko

Quote from: PaducahMichael on May-17-18 07:05
Sarge, WELCOME to the asylum. I really like that knife! Rebar, Huh? Makes a nice grip.

Dinadan, that's a sweet looking pocket knife! What is the blade shape called? Looks handy.

I know you asked Dinadan and not me, but sheepsfoot or warncliffe is the style of blade. With a warncliffe being a pointier sheepsfoot.

Dinadan

Quote from: ikoiko on May-17-18 08:05

I know you asked Dinadan and not me, but sheepsfoot or warncliffe is the style of blade. With a warncliffe being a pointier sheepsfoot.
Actually, I think it called a cotton sampler blade. There are cotton samplers with a different shape, but I have read that the maker (Frank Buster) called this one a cotton sampler.

ikoiko

Quote from: Dinadan on May-17-18 08:05
Quote from: ikoiko on May-17-18 08:05

Actually, I think it called a cotton sampler blade. There are cotton samplers with a different shape, but I have read that the maker (Frank Buster) called this one a cotton sampler.

Never had heard that term.

RogueTS1

That is some pretty stuff Gebe.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

gebe

Yeah, welcome sarge!

Thanks much gents! I know I said I'd lay off but I lied! :) Here's another small fry from Bark River that I like a lot. It's a prototype Blackwater fixed blade in black lip abalone. I call it a pocket fixed blade cause it rides nicely in a pocket. It looks better in person.

Dinadan

Very nice, Gebe! I have never heard of black lip abalone, but heck, I had never heard of black lip pearl until recently. I am still a bit uncertain about the dividing line between black lip and other.

Here is my short with a very small Schrade. Also in the photo is a small brass tool from Colt that I can use to check the caliber of my firearm. If I am out shooting, when I get ready to reload maybe I cannot remember if I am holding a .22 or a .38. So I whip out my handy gauge and check - oh yes, this one is the .22.

old_sarge

Here's one that is one of my daily carries, not as fancy as some I've seen, but boy does it hold an edge! The screwdriver/opener comes in handy too. Think it came through my grandfather to me.

PaducahMichael

We love our pretty knives - but we USE the good ones. Older steel usually means better steel. Our grandfathers surely knew the difference!

Canoeal

Quote from: WECSOG on May-13-18 08:05
Those who bemoan the loss of American pocket knives should check out Bear Cutlery. They are made right here in Alabama, and they make some carbon steel blades too. http://bearandsoncutlery.com/
I have a Parker/edwards from down that way. Nicely made, but a little heavy in the pocket. It does have a sizeable blade...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

gebe

Good stuff gents!

Dan, that caliber tool is cool! I'll bet that has some value.

Basslessaccusations

Here is another photo. My 22lr with SKM (Switchblade Knife Company) Leverlocks, a 9" with Rosewood grip and an 8' with simulated pearl grips. Love my Minis and Italian Leverlocks!

Basslessaccusations

1 more photo. My Black Widow with my 9" Bill DeShivs Honey Horn Leverletto, and an an AGA Campolin 8" Francese
Ringpull with simulated Dark Horn grips. Bills Leverlettos are my favorite Italian style knives. They take and hold an edge, which most
of the Italians switchblades don't do. They make dandy pocket knives! The Black Widow makes a dandy pocket gun!

Uncle_Lee

Hi Mr. bass,
Don't give up trying.
Keep posting .
You will overcome the probate period.
Welcome to the asylum.....
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Canoeal

Bigbird, is that an Opinel #2? That ia the smallest I have. I know they once made it, but I have never seen the #1..,
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Basslessaccusations

Quote from: uncle_lee on May-20-18 05:05
Hi Mr. bass,
Don't give up trying.
Keep posting .
You will overcome the probate period.
Welcome to the asylum.....
Thanks Uncle for the advice! Earlier when I logged in I didn't see my photos and was a bit bummed out. Took me awhile to figure out how to get the photos to upload because I'm technologically challenged. When I just logged in it shows the photos! Go figure! I hope they stay now!
[/quote]

Warthog

OK, got this knife from my Dad, was a pretty big surprise too. I told him about getting an Abalone Leverlock and suddenly I got this one from him.  Still can't wait for the one from Bill Deshiv but for now this will do... 8)
-Albert Einstein

RogueTS1

That is a beautiful knife there Warty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D  :o  ::)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Warthog

It really is Rogue, I love it.  Will make a great companion to my other Abalone scaled blade when it is done.  I love Abalone, far more than Mother of Pearl, both are nice but the colors you get with Abalone blow my mind.
-Albert Einstein

RogueTS1

What and where is that one from? I may have to make a purchase. I simply love that one.

ikoiko

Looks like blade hq has a couple at the bottom of this page.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--AKC--2130#/filter:weight:3:5

RogueTS1

Thank you; found and looking at a few very hard.  ;D

Dinadan

That abalone knife is a beauty, Warty! I think a pocket knife is just about the best gift to get.

Sarge- that knife looks like a good user!

Here are a couple of USA made users. The Case fish knife has gone on many fishing trips and scaled and dressed hundreds of fish. The Bear & Son sodbuster was my pocket carry for a while. For whatever reason, I just never loved it like some of my other knives and now it resides in a drawer.

Basslessaccusations

That is a beautiful knife Warty! I love my leverlocks also, and maybe someday I'll add an abalone to my collection!

Warthog

Thanks guys, Abalone is a real favorite of mine, it is a great looking knife.

Dindan, good stuff there.  Knives that are users make the best IMO.
-Albert Einstein