Range Day Pics

Started by smokeless joe, May-31-18 16:05

Previous topic - Next topic

linux_author

you'll get there, Mr. W! and when you do, don't forget to post a pic or two!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Canoeal

OK so tomorrow would have been the one year anniversary from the last time I was able to get to the range. Today I got there.
First two targets were pretty, the Charter Arms behaved well all day. The BW was a bit temperamental. A couple of FTF  with the CCI HP+V, and shot high at the longer ranges... But it was good to get out and shoot.

I forgot how much of a flame those HP+Vs put out... The Gold Dots and th Hornady FTXs were much nicer to shoot.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Honky Tonk Man

Good deal, AL.  I bet it felt great to get out. 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

smokeless joe

Quote from: Canoeal on August-14-18 20:08
OK so tomorrow would have been the one year anniversary from the last time I was able to get to the range. Today I got there.
First two targets were pretty, the Charter Arms behaved well all day. The BW was a bit temperamental. A couple of FTF  with the CCI HP+V, and shot high at the longer ranges... But it was good to get out and shoot.

I forgot how much of a flame those HP+Vs put out... The Gold Dots and th Hornady FTXs were much nicer to shoot.
Glad you got some range time Al. I hope you find the time and opportunity to get out more often (if you like) that's what my target usually looks like when shooting my minis. I was surprised when I took the short out about a week ago that it did as well as it did.

linux_author

glad to read that you got out to the range! and yes, i like the Gold Dots - just wish they were cheaper - if they were i'd make 'em my standard .22wmr round!

(and your target looks a lot better than mine would at 7 yards!)

:-)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

billmeek

How does $10.57 per box (roughly 21 cents per round) when you buy 7 boxes sound for Speer Gold Dot 22WMR - Short Barrel?

Go to https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/handgun-ammo/22-wmr-40gr-gold-dot-hp-50-box-sku105000674-119779-176239.aspx
Add 7 to your cart and use the code JDC to get $10 off and free shipping. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

linux_author

ordered some - tks!

i like how they shoot in my Sidewinder and Pathfinder - great stuff!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

billmeek

By the way, I used the same code to order 2,000 rounds of CCI SV 22LR for $77.96 to the door.  That's under 4 cents per round (3.898).  And here I thought I was doing good when I ordered a bunch of bricks of it at a nickle a round.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Warthog

Gold Dot 22WMR is my carry ammo too, Brownell's tends to have great prices and sometimes MidwayUSA does a good sale too.  So I have about 1500 rounds of the stuff here now. 8)

It is good stuff, I generally have my Black Widow with me along with my 22short Watch Fob of course.  Thanks for the order codes even though I can't buy any more as I am broke for a good while.

Good People here on the NAA Forums like billmeek makes it a great place, Thank you.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

billmeek

Thanks for the compliment Warty. 

I can empathize with not being able to order.  I shouldn't as I've bought too much lately, but it's hard to pass up on a good deal when I know I'll need it pretty soon.   
Bill

Canoeal

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on August-15-18 02:08
Good deal, AL.  I bet it felt great to get out.
Yep, it did.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

ray

last 3 shots beretta 22 put a old scope i had on the beretta 36yards tore it down did a trigger job on it im afraid it may out shoot my s@w

RogueTS1

Just back from an RGT Rifle training class. It was great; got a lot of trigger time.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

linux_author

hey folks - love seeing the range pics in this thread!

after an early morning swim and a quick breakfast, i headed across the street to do a shakedown/sighting in on a new acquisition: a Ruger SP101 Model 5765.

it had been taunting me from the shelf of a LGS for a few weeks, and i just happened to have the simoleans to swing it (along with dispensation from She Who Must Be Obeyed, as i recently sent and sold three lesser-used guns out the door)

the bonus is that DS-10-Speed's S&W 317 loading block, box and speed loader works great for the SP101:

i ran mostly CCI 'Swamp People' .22LR, then some CCI standard velocity LRN, and finished up with some leftover Velocitors and Stingers (which had very little apparent recoil - very nice)

windage was spot on, but pistol shot low, so i had to raise the rear sight @ 25 ft... then i brought the target in for some double-action at my 'normal' 3-yard practice (i'm working on getting up to 5 yards with some accuracy)...

i'm pretty happy with my new kit gun...

another great day!

willie
on the

heyjoe

there must be no recoil with that sp101
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

linux_author

Quote from: heyjoe on August-23-18 10:08
there must be no recoil with that sp101

yes sir, you got that right... quite amazing... the Stingers blew the slide off one of my PT-22s during a break-in session, but in the SP101 they felt like .22 shorts!

i'm new to Ruger revolvers, so the next stage is feeling at ease for take-down and cleaning... (as you more experienced folks know, Smiths and Charters only require a single screw, but Rugers are a bit of a different dance)

willie
on the 'dancing happy w/my new SP101' Gulf of Mexico

smokeless joe

I've got an sp101 in 9mm. It's got a 3" barrel, a set of hogue grips and a moon clip full of black talons. It was my mother's and it's rests comfortably in my nightstand. Kinda like mom watching over me. I rarely shoot it, it's just a comfort having it.

linux_author

Quote from: smokeless joe on August-23-18 17:08
I've got an sp101 in 9mm. It's got a 3" barrel, a set of hogue grips and a moon clip full of black talons. It was my mother's and it's rests comfortably in my nightstand. Kinda like mom watching over me. I rarely shoot it, it's just a comfort having it.

very nice indeed... my mother never passed down any weapons (and if she had it would have been a Walther, Mauser or CZ)

early this morning i went through sp101 disassembly for cleaning - went very smoothly with no problems:

1. remove grip screw, pop off grip inserts, retain brass (?) hammer spring pin, pull off grip
2. cock hammer, insert spring pin, release hammer, pull caught hammer spring assembly
3. pop up hammer pin, remove, then remove hammer
4. push trigger assembly button through grip frame, pull out assembly
5. drop cylinder and slide crane and cylinder off revolver

a bit more involved than other makes, but not too bad... some sharp edges and i found a loose shaving, but nothing major

i think i enjoy cleaning my guns as much as i enjoy shooting them...

willie
on the 'Marine Clean' Gulf of Mexico

ray

so right I enjoy cleaning as much as shooting

Ruger

Quote from: linux_author on August-24-18 05:08. . . . . .  I think i enjoy cleaning my guns as much as i enjoy shooting them...

Yeah, me too.  There is just something about pulling them apart, scrubbing them out, inspecting the parts, lubing them right, reassembling them, testing the action, and polishing them to a fine sheen.  It is indeed a very intimate time with your peacemaker.  I, too, seem to clean them more than shoot them.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

RogueTS1

I hate cleaning the guns. I do it after every session but I truly hate it. I rather enjoy shooting them though.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

LHB

Through the years, I think that I have seen more guns that were damaged by over cleaning (bore/muzzle wear from steel rods) and over oiling (soft, oil soaked wood around the action) than by under cleaning.   Both my grandfathers, who started shooting with black powder and corrosive primers were of the fire one shot, tear it down completely and scrub it, but I don't follow that practice with modern ammo.

ray

went to compare 22 s@w to beretta 22  it was a draw both equal shot 410 shell fron 36 yards pill bottle 5o yards

linux_author

nice shootin' Mr. ray!

will be off to the range tomorrow... seems like i'm up to 2X a week now... went Sunday morning to try to polish off the remaining batch of bad Federal .22LR i was sold by Cabelas... unfortunately i think i still have some 500+ rounds left...

used my HP22A - don't want to chance a lodged squib in my .22 revolvers

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

ray

thanks  linux dont forget that phoenix got to take mine out i like to shoot it  i went shooting 3 times last week

linux_author

After an early morning 1500m swim and breakfast, it was off to the range w/my 82-yr-old next-door neighbor, Bob. He was shooting an old Davis P32 and his new Ruger MkIV tactical (he likes it). For me, it was Ruger .22LR range day with a target RIO-edition MkIII and my new SP101:

Lots of fun. Finished up about 150 rounds of a Fiocchi bulk buy (good stuff with zero FTFs).

Bob gets out of the house once a week and I get out of doing the breakfast dishes. Range is two minutes away (basically across the highway).

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

ray

beautiful guns last week went shooting with a friend that shoots steel challenge shot his rugger he sets up his steel tree fun

smokeless joe

Ok got to the range today to try out my new optic. Sighting in at 50 yards. That's about as good as I'm gonna get without a magnifier. Then I'll go for 100 yards.

ray

looks good joe what is it 223 or 308

smokeless joe

Quote from: ray on August-29-18 11:08
looks good joe what is it 223 or 308
5.56/.223 I've never bought any .223 they are priced the same so I've just stuck with the 5.56

linux_author

awesome shoot! we have an outdoor range nearby, but it's really expensive to join and only open for a few hours in the morning several times a week...

ah well, maybe someday i'll live somewhere where there's a decent outdoor range...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Ruger

Quote from: LHB on August-26-18 20:08. . . . .  I think that I have seen more guns that were damaged by over cleaning (bore/muzzle wear from steel rods) and over oiling (soft, oil soaked wood around the action) than by under cleaning. . . . . . .

And what you are describing are people that do not know enough to take care of their firearms correctly.  Steel Rods?  Over Oiling?  Pay attention and do it right; aluminum & brass rods (bore snakes are nice, too), check your firearms for oil migration every so often.  Wipe them down after handling.   My Grandfather taught me to respect the firearms we have; and his Winchester Model 68 that I inherited after my dad still looks and works great!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

smokeless joe

Quote from: linux_author on August-29-18 12:08
awesome shoot! we have an outdoor range nearby, but it's really expensive to join and only open for a few hours in the morning several times a week...

ah well, maybe someday i'll live somewhere where there's a decent outdoor range...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
28 bucks a year, bring your own ammo, stay as long as you like. Love the place.

linux_author

Quote from: smokeless joe on August-29-18 12:08

:'(

dang!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

smokeless joe

Quote from: linux_author on August-29-18 12:08
Quote from: smokeless joe on August-29-18 12:08

:'(

dang!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
And we're on the Gulf of Mexico ;)