Oh no bought the wrong BW

Started by Gus1759, June-24-18 17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus1759

Just found out my brother-in-law bought a Blackwidow and was told by gun store owner that it was a magnum, but when he got home and began to look at it closer, it turned out to be a .22 LR.
After talking to store owner he also found out it was used. Owner agreed to make it right and told him he would order the magnum cylinder. The frame is marked long rifle. So I old him I didn't think it would work. Was I wrong ? Anyway I thought I read on this forum somewhere that the gun had to be sent back to NAA in order to match the cylinder to the frame. Will find out tomorrow if he gets a refund or not.

billmeek

I'd look and make sure it's a Black Widow.  The heavy vented barrel and cylinder pin are distinctive:

He might have been sold another NAA model with a Black Widow grip.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

pietro

AFAIK, NAA Mini's with the frame marked .22LR are too short to accept a .22 Magnum length cylinder.

LR/WMR combination revolvers are made of the magnum length frame, so will accept a (factory) lengthened/long LR cylinder.

Here are the 3 (different) frame sizes (.22Short/bottom, .22LR & .22WMR/upper), side-by-side, for comparison:

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

adp3

All Black Widows are built on the magnum frame so that won't be a problem.  The gun will need to go back to the factory for a .22 Magnum cylinder fit though.  The factory will also go through the gun and replace any parts they find suspect.  It will come back in perfect working order often with a repolish if there are scratches in the stainless.  The shop owes you brother-in-law big time for the misrepresentation and inconvenience.

Best Regards,
ADP3
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"
-Mark Twain

billmeek

Quote from: Gus1759 on June-24-18 17:06
The frame is marked long rifle.

Quote from: adp3 on June-24-18 19:06
All Black Widows are built on the magnum frame...

The 2 statements above is why I suspected that the pistol was something other than a Black Widow. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Canoeal

Something sounds fishy to me...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Uncle_Lee

The 22 LR Black Widow is built on the magnum frame but is marked 22 Long Rifle.
Send it back to NAA and they will fit a magnum cylinder to it.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

top dog

I just checked my Black Widow and it is marked 22 Magnum on the frame.

I would guess that maybe the BWs originally made for the 22lr were marked that way even it is a Magnum frame.

Either way,the gun will have to be sent to NAA for the 22 magnum cylinder.

And yes,the gun will come back nicely polished with any parts needing to be replaced,will have been replaced.

Top Dog

bearcatter

He was told it was a magnum and it wasn't. The owner has to make it right, but not by paying for a new cylinder and a trip to NAA. Unless the BIL is willing to eat that, he should just get a full refund.

When buying a gun, it pays to know exactly what you want and be sure what you're buying IS what you wanted before you open your wallet.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Gus1759

Owner said he would make it right and would order magnum cylinder. When I here what the outcome is I will post and let everyone know.

linux_author

IRRC, one can't just order a magnum cylinder - the gun must be sent into NAA

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

bleak_window

I just checked my BW.  It says .22 LONG RIFLE on it.

Let the gun shop deal with NAA about the magnum cylinder.

KEN AR

If they try to make it right I see no problem.  they may have gone off what they were told from the person that traded it to them.
On the plus side if they do send it back and get the mag cylinder for it he now has both mag and LR.  Sounds like a win for him.

Hope he got a good price on it to start with...

Ken
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

Warthog

The Magnum Cylinder won't fit the LR or Short Frame.  So a conversion Cylinder isn't gonna happen.

The Store Owner has said he would make it right, all is well.  He will get you what you want.  I love my BW and it is part of my current EDC.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

ray

if it is bw mag will fit sent my bw back to naa @ got a mag cyl  my fram says 22 long rifle

Gus1759

It definitely says long rifle

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

squeezle

Is that old patriot Joe holster?
It may be small but as long as it's loaded ,pointed in the right direction, and goes bang, I'm happy :)

Gus1759

Not sure about the holster, but the CS owner just ordered him a new blackwidow w/o the .22 lr cylinder , should pick it up tomorrow.

bleak_window

I would load it up with some Stingers and go shoot.  He might like it better than your Mag BW.

Canoeal

Gus1759

Brother in law just picked up his new blackwidow, gun shop did him right and got hom a brand new one.

Warthog

I put the hardwood grip in my BW, it feels great too.   8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Gus1759

I like the look of the wood grips , might have to do the same to mine. What kind of blade is that in the photo?

Warthog

Boker Magnum Champagne Switchblade....Grindwprx.com
-Albert Einstein

KEN AR

I would have to say they did him right! Looks like he has a Mag/LR now.  That is what Customer Service is about.  Make it right.
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

RICKS PLACE

I have had a wood grip (as in photo) for several years, tried it on 2 b/w's, 1 Pug and it didn't fit any properly. It moved back and forth.  Tried a filler, no good.  Any lasting ideas?

seaotter

As others have pointed  out ALL BWs are made on the magnum frame. For reasons that elude me, the BWs (like mine) are marked 22lr. NAA assured me, though, that if I sent it in, they would fit a 22 mag cylinder to it, and that there is no difference between 22lr and 2wmr BWs other than the markings. I have not gotten the 22wmr cylinder yet because I am not totally convinced that the 22wmr out of such a short barrel is really all that much more powerful, and 22lr is a lot cheaper!

Gus1759

I've heard that before and have the damage a .22 lr can do, but some people just want a magnum. I'm just glad that the gun shop owner did him right. There are still some people in this old world.

Canoeal

Quote from: seaotter on July-08-18 06:07
As others have pointed  out ALL BWs are made on the magnum frame. For reasons that elude me, the BWs (like mine) are marked 22lr. NAA assured me, though, that if I sent it in, they would fit a 22 mag cylinder to it, and that there is no difference between 22lr and 2wmr BWs other than the markings. I have not gotten the 22wmr cylinder yet because I am not totally convinced that the 22wmr out of such a short barrel is really all that much more powerful, and 22lr is a lot cheaper!
Wait until you shoot it in 22 mag. You will not need any more convincing.

pietro

Quote from: Canoeal on July-08-18 20:07
I have not gotten the 22wmr cylinder yet because I am not totally convinced that the 22wmr out of such a short barrel is really all that much more powerful, and 22lr is a lot cheaper!

Amen - I've had my (bought new) BW convertible for over 10 years, and haven't even unwrapped the LR cylinder.

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

Bigbird48

So your saying the opposite of Seaotter and you do all your practicing with 22 mags. Hmm expensive way to go.

Quote from: pietro on July-10-18 07:07
Quote from: Canoeal on July-08-18 20:07
I have not gotten the 22wmr cylinder yet because I am not totally convinced that the 22wmr out of such a short barrel is really all that much more powerful, and 22lr is a lot cheaper!

Amen - I've had my (bought new) BW convertible for over 10 years, and haven't even unwrapped the LR cylinder.

Canoeal

I just got the BW in 22 mag...Why use what I won't shoot,to practice for the time when I may need it? Practice with what you carry.

Bigbird48

sorry I met seaotter  this gets confusing LOL
Quote from: Canoeal on July-10-18 20:07
I just got the BW in 22 mag...Why use what I won't shoot,to practice for the time when I may need it? Practice with what you carry.

billmeek

Significantly more trigger time.  The NAA pistols are some of the most difficult to shoot accurately because of the ergonomics of very small firearms.  I expect more than "belly gun" range out of any pistol.  The NAAs are capable of it, I'm just not there yet.  So I shoot a mix of 22LR and 22 Mag rounds each time I go to the range.  Right now I shoot a lot more 22LR (5 times as much) than 22 Mags each session.
Bill