Midland Backpacker

Started by seaotter, July-08-18 07:07

Previous topic - Next topic

seaotter

I recently had to start spending a lot of time in a state which is not firearm friendly. They do not recognize my concealed carry permit, and even bringing a handgun into the state can get you locked up. Long Guns are ok, though. I started looking for an alternative. I first looked at the AR7, the Marlin Papoose, and a couple of folding rifles, but, while I love 22s, they lack flexibility. I needed (well wanted) an all purpose easily transported and lightweight all purpose firearm. I found the Midland Backpacker, a short barreled 18.5 inch) lightweight adjectives stable choke folding single shot shotgun. List price is only $140. So I got one.
First impressions: this thing is tiny!! It hardly weighs anything, and t easily fits in my old ALICE pack.
It kicks. Not a surprise. Light loads are fine. A slug or buckshot round is not much fun, but manageable. Sort of! Shoot at f more than a couple, and your shoulder will feel it! The firearm seems to be well built and sturdy. It doesn't have a hammer, it has an extracter (which I prefer), and the break down mechanism is a trigger way forward of the firing trigger; no one is ever going to confuse the two! With the included Mom difirf choke it seems to pattern well out to about 25 yards, although I haven't had a chance to check it out formally yet. And by next year, there are supposed to be other barrels available, both Center fire and rim fire. I would love to get a 357 barrel! But even without the extra barrels, I think I got my $140 worth.

billmeek

Interesting shotgun.  Once they have the rimfire/centerfire barrels avaiable, I may have to add it on my list to acquire.  How's the trigger on it?
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

seaotter

Still stiff. I only have 20 shells through it so far, so I would expect it to be. I am sure that some fire arms have great triggers out of the box, but I have never had one!

billmeek

Best trigger I've had out of the box (so far) on any firearm is the Savage AccuTrigger.  The Marlin Pro-Fire isn't far behind it.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

glenn

I bought mine about a year ago.  .410
Cute little bugger.    I just had it out yesterday fiddling with it & took a dremmel to the inner protruding threads of the front bead site.   I too am waiting on the centerfire barrels.
Mine was $125

g
Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

Warthog

Quote from: billmeek on July-08-18 16:07
Best trigger I've had out of the box (so far) on any firearm is the Savage AccuTrigger'''... (snip)

Don't have a Marlin so I snipped the quote but I have a couple Savages with the Accu-Trigger and he is right.  I have and shoot, until recently, a few bolt action Savage rifles and have found them to very nice.  I may not compete anywhere but I do like to shoot far away targets.  Local Range is limited to five hundred yards but I am able to shoot at that range with the Scope I have now quite well.  Someday if I am able I would move the current scope to a 308 and see how well I can do at a longer range, money and health willing. ???
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Boisesteve

Just reviewed this month in 'Guns' magazine, the Hatfield single-shot shotgun. Says it's available in .410, 20 and 12ga at Walmart for $99, is what it says!  (I've not looked to see if the local Wallys has one).  H & R and NEF have gone, the Midland and this have arrived.
Boise Steve

Canoeal

Yeah I had one of those H&R 410s once upon at time...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

seaotter

I looked at the Hatfield, but it was just a bit too long for my purposes, as I really do want to be able to carry it in a backpack. The Backpacker fit, the Hatfield doesn't. The Midland is priced less at other places. I paid full list price, something I rarely do! But even $149 is inexpensive for a new shotgun, and I really try to support our legal gun shop. The owner s are really nice,  and don't complain when I accidently drool on their display case when looking at some firearm I could never ever afford!

RogueTS1

QuoteI looked at the Hatfield, but it was just a bit too long for my purposes,

That is what God made hack saws for. Cut it down, square it up and you will have the length you need/want.  ;D
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Dirty Bob

For a folding backpacker shotgun, I like the Yildiz .410 that Academy sells. Mine felt like a fishing pole with its long barrel.

If you decide to cut it down like I did (to 19 inches, to match the length of the buttstock when folded), do it right! If you just cut it, you'll find it very hard to center, drill and tap the barrel for the new bead.

• Make sure the bead is centered when you look at the gun in the store. Close it, shoulder it, and aim at the ceiling to check it.
  • At home, tie a thread to the bead. Use masking tape to affix it at the rear of the barrel. Check repeatedly to make sure you got it centered.
  • Remember that the correct way to measure barrel length is to put a dowel down the barrel and mark where it sticks out of the muzzle. Mark the barrel where you wish to cut (it must be longer than 18 inches when cut; allow a little extra). Check it a few times: if you get it too short for legality, you'll have to destroy it. Also mark where the bead will go, using the thread to find the top-center of barrel.
  • Cut the barrel, clean up with files/sandpaper, and re-blue the muzzle.
  • Drill and tap the hole for the bead, and install the new bead. I used Loctite to secure it. I think I got the bead, drill bit and tap from Midway.
  • Enjoy your shotgun! Of course, it's now a Cylinder bore, so it's not a long range gun, but that was not one of my concerns.  ;D
My shotgun has a 19-inch barrel and weighs about 3 (!) pounds. It's fun to shoot, but it does kick a bit, especially with 3-inch shells.

Right now, Academy is selling these great little guns for $100.

Respectfully,
Dirty Bob

RogueTS1

Here is a 19 3/4" H&R 12 gauge shottie I recently worked over. Fiber optic sight added and barrel shortened. It is small, light and quite handy.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Bj

seaotter

One of the things I like about the backpacker is that it can use any of the Beretta style choke tubes. With a short barreled shot gun full or modified chokes are good. It even comes with a more defied choke.

glenn

I've been checking ....  No sign yet of the colored panels .. "Survival Kit" .. rifled or rimfire barrels.

Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

seaotter

Nope. Still waiting. They promised to email when they are available. Not holding my breath!

pietro

Quote from: seaotter on July-10-18 21:07

I looked at the Hatfield, but it was just a bit too long for my purposes

IMO, it's also too fugly, especially when compared to the Midland or the Henry single-shots.

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

caryg

This isn't a backpacker but works pretty good. A  NEF 12 gauge cut to 18 1/2 inch, 1 inch steel bar in stock for recoil. Also modified the stock and barrel for a red dot or laser. 

Jonashok

Quote from: Warthog on July-08-18 17:07
Quote from: billmeek on July-08-18 16:07
Best trigger I've had out of the box (so far) on any firearm is the Savage AccuTrigger'''... (snip)

Don't have a Marlin so I snipped the quote but I have a couple Savages with the Accu-Trigger and he is right.  I have and shoot, until recently, a few bolt action Savage rifles and have found them to very nice.  I may not compete anywhere but I do like to shoot far away targets.  Local Range is limited to five hundred yards but I am able to shoot at that range with the Scope I have now quite well.  Someday if I am able I would move the current scope to a 308 and see how well I can do at a longer range, money and health willing. ???

Hi there,

I'm new at hunting but I would like to invest in it so I can improve fast.
I would like to buy a long-range scope but I don't know which brand to buy.
I was searching for some information, but I didn't get any smarter.
I found an article where they're reviewing long-range scopes, but I would like to hear a personal opinion.
Can you guys please help me out?

Thank you

Uncle_Lee

Hi Jona,
What do you plan to hunt?
I would like to know what someone wants to shoot before I teach them how.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Lobster

Midland still doesn't have other barrels for the backpacker,they keep saying next quarter next quarter . First they were going to have barrels made by Keystone(Crickett) , nope then someone else . so still waiting.

heyjoe

Quote from: uncle_lee on May-14-20 03:05
Hi Jona,
What do you plan to hunt?
I would like to know what someone wants to shoot before I teach them how.

hahah.,,,i got the drift...haha
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

FRNKNHOOKR

Instead of a barrel, why not try one of these: https://www.gunadapters.com/rifled-adapters/

Frank