Umarex Steel-Storm fully auto BB "Uzi" gun

Started by cedarview kid, April-20-12 21:04

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarview kid

My daughter starts soccer tomorrow, so my wife wanted to go to Big-G sporting goods tonight after dinner to get her some new cleets. While they were browsing shoes and socks, I wandered over to the shooting sports section.

They had some interesting stuff, so I started checking out the knives and air guns. This is the same place I bought my Croman 1377, which is a really great pump BB/pellet gun.

My eye got caught by a Umarex Steel Storm, which is a fully auto BB gun that shoots in bursts of six shots.

It looked pretty cool, but I didn't know much about it. So, while standing there in front of the display case, I Googled the gun and found this  YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo0e9XN4sV4">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo0e9XN4sV4

After viewing the video, and noting the price was only $80 for the gun, I just had to take it home to try. I got a large multi-pack of CO2 cartridges and a 2500-round pack of BB's. Gonna have some fun tomorrow.

bud

Looks like a lot of fun!!

jupiter7

Looks like a tp9 and Uzi had a kid. My son has some airsoft stuff, fun for the backyard!

widow420

i have the umarex mp5-k pdw bb gun as well as the umarex-made smith and wesson mp40.  fun for cheap, and good practice for the real deal.

chopprs

That is pretty kewl. It reminds me of when I was you the carnivals had those Tommy Gun arcades that you shot the Thompson replicas and they were large lead BBs. I can't believe that no one ever turned around and shot at passers by with them. Even as a kid I wondered that....

louiethelump

Because back in those days, the guy you shot would kick your butt, then the cops would come and kick your butt, and when you got home, your old man would kick your butt.  Three butt kickings would not really be worth it.

THESE days, the guy the kid shot would sue the manufacturer of the air gun and the owner of the show, the cops would refer a charge through juvenile services on the kid and he would get sent to couseling, and he would not HAVE an old man.  

SO, the result is, you no longer see those cool air powered submachine guns at the carnival that we had so much fun with.

Just my two cents

Louie
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

chopprs

...WOW!!! Ya know, you are absolutely right.

I would not have been afraid of the cops or the guy I shot cuz my old man would have just killed me, at least that is how scared of him I was when I was that young!

louiethelump

Also check on Quackenbush air rifles.  He makes 45 caliber air rifles that you charge from a scuba tank or a pump, and they use them for big game hunting.

I sold one on GunBroker for my dealer once.  He had picked it up somewhere in a trade with all the accessories and even a two stage hand pump to charge it with.  We expected about 450 to 500 on it and got 900.  I was amazed, but there are a lot of people out there that are into that stuff.

Here is the website if anyone is interested.

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/">http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

On the website they have photos of bear, Bison, and other big game taken with the air rifles.  I noticed they are making a 50 cal one now too.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

chopprs

.....of course we remember talking about the Louis and Clark/Girandoni  Air Rifle!

cedarview kid

Indeed. Was that full auto, too?

ikoiko

A buddy of mine has been into air rifles for some years and we used to laugh at him about the cost of his "bb guns". He was always after supreme accuracy,and would have his guns tuned and out fitted for this quest. Never had my attention till he got an Airforce Talon pcp. Neat, accurate, and powerful. But I always hated fumbling with small pellets loading one at a time into often awkward tight spaces. Then came Logun with their Sweet 16 bolt action. 2 eight round mags attached to each other . . . Just cycle the bolt, no more fumbling. Then Evanix with a repeater operating DA or SA.  

Not that these rifles are inexpensive, but compared to Quackenbush, they are generally less costly and more available. Wasn't aware of Quackenbush until a few months ago when talking to my buddy about expense, big bore, and amazing.

Thanks for giving a name to Louis and Clark's air rifle. I knew that they took one on their expedition, but had not been able to find info on how it was charged or much about it. Finally cleared up some questions I had.

cedarview kid

I have a number of pellet and/or BB guns. Why not? After all, my first gun was a BB rifle.

I have a Gamo single-shot rifle with a scope that is a LOT of fun and very accurate. Quite powerful, too.

I think pellet/BB guns are an excellent extension to a collection of "real" firearms. They can also be a great introduction for the less experienced into shooting sports.

ikoiko

That's what I started teaching my stepsons with. Heavy focus on safety. They are very safety conscious , but I still keep them focused on safety including what's going on around them.

I got them Wather p99 bb guns with blow back action (wastes CO2, but gets them used to the idea) so they could scratch their " blam, blam, blam" itch.

The bb and pellet guns I can shoot at my home, but it's difficult to shoot firearms due to zoning changes. Fortunately I have a friend not far away that has a farm where we can shoot. We've shot .22 LR BW and mark II, .22 mag BW, 9mm 226, and KimberUDC.

I really like the air rifles, there are a few ground hogs around that won't though.

nakagawa

cedarview kid

That's a good thing, Naka, right?

leafhopper

I have a Umarex Steel Storm. Nice little BB gun. Has a select fire for single shot, 3 or 6 round burst. It is remarkable accurate on single shot.  I have a larger collection of airguns than firearms and most of them are Umarex and Crosman.  Umarex makes some of the most realistic replica airguns available. I have their S&W 586, Walther CP99, Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine, PX4 Storm pistol, Walther Lever Action (1894 Remington look-a-like) and a few really nice Crosman CO-2 and pump guns.

It's always fun having the neighbors over for an afternoon of target practice with airguns. Cheap entertainment and airguns are inherently more accurate so everyone gets shots on target.

cedarview kid

I agree, BB/pellet guns can provide hours of good entertainment.

At my last family reunion with my brother and sister and their families, I took my Gamo air rifle with scope and set it up next to our cabin, about 20 or 30 yards away from a target. I organize a little competition shooting the rifle and a Crosman 1377 and let everybody take 3 shots each with each gun, then had a shoot-off to get a winner for both pistol shooting and rifle shooting. It was a LOT of fun--and I didn't even win. A couple of the kids did. How Ironic, eh? It was a very memorable event for everybody, tho, and was more fun that I had anticipated.

But, are you sure it has a 3-round burst? Mine only has 1 round semi-automatic mode and 6-round burst. No 3-round setting.

mndoug

Collector -- Did the thing work OK for you?  I remember I had one a lonnngg time ago (four or five years) and I sold it as soon as I could because it sucked for some reason or another... just never really performed right, I kind of remember.

cedarview kid

I ended up working on a HAM Radio antenna over the weekend instead of trying out the new auto BB gun. I'll get it out soon enough!

leafhopper

NAA Collector:  You are right!  It is a 6 round burst...it's been awhile since I've had it out of the case.  Guess that is overdue, as soon as the rain goes away!

cedarview kid

OK, I know, I'm slow, but I finally got my auto BB gun out for shooting today. Wahoo, that is a HOOT! It's not as powerful as my some of my other air guns, but it's pretty sweet.

Putt-putt-putt-putt-putt-putt! Six  holes.