Bersa Thunder 22

Started by lauraslookout, May-09-12 23:05

Previous topic - Next topic

lauraslookout

Well, I finally broke down and bought a Bersa Thunder 22 yesterday. I was at my favorite gunshop and there it was. I handled it a while, felt pretty good in the hand, walked off and tried to remember all the posts here I had read on them and remembered that everyone seemed to like them and say good things about them. I then thought about a recent conversation I had with Louie about our Ruger Mark IIIs, they are so accurate it actually gets boring at times to shoot them ..... not thaat's a bad thing just sometimes a guy wants a project to distract him .... a new toy to master so to speak. I also kept in mind that I wanted a lighter weight mid-size 22 auto and I didn't want to go with a polymer frame (just me) so I walked back over and held it some more. Then with a catch in my voice I said "I'll take it." I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet but I'll post again after I have. Jim

red14

Give us a range report.  I have always fancied one.
''I'm a humble man, indeed, I have a lot to be humble for.''

bud

Good for you.  

Always fun to buy a new gun!

louiethelump

You are going to like it.  Just remember to use a firm grip and a locked wrist.  The lighter the gun, the more likely for a loose hold to cause function failure.  I had one years ago and it was flawless.  and it holds a full 10 rounds in that compact magazine.

good choice.

louie
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

lauraslookout

Louie, it ALWAYS makes me feel better when you give a pistol 2 thumbs up. Jim

mndoug

I picked up one of these not too long ago... a lot of fun.  Same design as the Bersa .380, which is basically the same design as the Walther PPK.   So in the .22 you have a lightweight, accurate, polymer PPK with 10 rounds.

Fun to shoot...

louiethelump

polymer?

They were aluminum when I had one..... are they poly frame now?
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

cfsharry

When did Bersa go to a plastic frame?  I too thought they were aluminum.

Uncle_Lee

I also thought they were aluminum.

I shot one that had an aluminum frame.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

louiethelump

DOUG?????????????????

Poly frame documentation please??????????
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

coopercdrkey

I think Doug mis-spoke.

From the Bersa web site:

.22 Specifications

Model: THUN22

Caliber: .22 LR

Action: DA/SA

Capacity: 10+1  

Barrel Length: 3.5"

Front Sight: Blade Integral with Slide

Rear Sight: Notched-Bar Dovetailed

Finishes: Matte Black, Satin Nickel, or Duotone

Grips: Checkered Polymer

Construction: Alloy Frame/Steel Slide

Safety: Integral Locking System, Manual, Firing Pin

Weight: 18.9 oz.

Length: 6.6"

Height: 4.7"

Width: 1.3"
NAA Black Widow
Bersa T380
NAA Guardian .32
Henry H001

lauraslookout

I know mine isn't a poly frame ...... wouldn't have bought it if it was. Aluminum frame. Still have not had the chance to shoot it ...... catching up projects that got behind in while nursing wife after her surgery.

mndoug

Hey, you guys... leave me alone!  I DID misspeak (to use the parlance of the day.)

I guess I was thinking of the plastic grips (now standard - yuck) and the light weight of the gun confused me.  

I bow, corrected.

Uncle_Lee

WOW Doug,

That is the most excitement on the board since the censorship started.

You sure got a bunch of blood pumping.

Ata-boy.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

red14

Well, at least he put his best face forward.

mndoug

UNCLE LEE -->  So Bart Simpson's behind gets your blood pumping... hmmmmm....

mndoug

UNCLE LEE -->  So Bart Simpson's behind gets your blood pumping? Hmmmmm....

lauraslookout

Ok guys, finally got the chance to shoot the Bersa today. Problems? NONE!!!! Well, one problem .... didn't check my bag for ammo level and had to quit shooting before I wanted to.  I ran a 100 rds of Winchester Super X, 100rds of CCI sub-sonic and somewhere around 50+ rds of Remington Golden bulk pack. And let me say this, all three brands of ammo pretty much shot point of aim. All of my shooting today was in the 30-40 foot range. I was hitting fishing bobbers the size of your little finger. After 2 mags through it I was hitting soda cans in double action mode.  I can honestly say I am happy with it's performance and would be okay in recommending it anyone else. At 19oz empty it is less than half the weight of my Mark IIIs, has a 10 shot mag and is pretty much identical in size, shape and weight to my Sig P232 so it's like getting to practice with it in the cheaper to shoot 22lr. All I need now is a belt or IWB holster for it. Can not wait to take it back out again.  Also looking forward to next trip to BackPorch22's place cause I know he'll like it. Jim

coopercdrkey

It is also identical in all meaningful characteristics to the Bersa Thunder 380.  Talk about inexpensive practice sessions!  A .22 literal clone to your .380.

I think I need a Thunder .22.  (Already have the .380, and love it!)
NAA Black Widow
Bersa T380
NAA Guardian .32
Henry H001

backporch22

JIM, BOTH GUN AND A VISIT SOUND GOOD TO ME.

franco22

They are nice little guns. Mine has been 100% reliable. It is a good practice if you have a Thunder 380 and don't want to pay for 380 ammo.

red14

What is the # trigger pull?  Is it stout, like some 22s?

lauraslookout

Been out of town this week. Got to shoot the Bersa some, roughly another 500 rounds amnd I am still happy with it. As to trigger pull? hmmmm, not as good as a Mark III but definitely better than a Single Six. It's fun to shoot, reasonably accurate (it passes my "can you hit a snake at 30' test) and affordable to shoot. It's lightweight, convenient to carry and has shown itself to be reliable. It's a FUN plinking pistol, not a target pistol. Oh yeah, I LIKE it. Jim

lauraslookout

Just an update ...... got to shoot it some yesterday (Remington Vipers, winchester Super X and Blazers) and I am still happy and enjoying it immensely. It's not the 25yd target pistol my MarkIII is but what I think of as a 50ft  fun plinkster. As stated before the accuracy is good at the closer ranges and my next trip out I will be trying out some CCI  Stingers in it, can't think of anyone/anything that would survive 10 hits with those.  Louie helped me  out by finding me the ideal holster for it. Jim

lauraslookout

I actually got to shoot some again yesterday. I gave the CCI Stingers a try in the Bersa, whew, those stingers sizzle compared to the other ammos I have been shooting. I do firmly believe they'd do a good job defending you.  

You know, I mentioned I ran some Remington YellowJackets through the Bersa the last trip, ran a few more this time out and wouldn't you know it? I had a fail to fire, even after multiple strikes ...... it seems like any faith in Remington ammo is just misplaced.  

So far the Bersa seems to prefer the Winchester Super X for accuracy. At somewhere in the 40' range I was tearing shotgun shells up. The Bersa rear sight is screw adjustable for windage but I have made no adjustments to it so far so I guess if you preferred another ammo for plinking you could set the sights for it. And when you are shooting Stingers, ect, in it .... it's still within 2" of point of aim or less which centered up on a defensive target is well within tolerance for me.  

As a side note let me mention this : I had yet to run any Stingers through my Beretta 21A. I had tried some Velocitors and Quik Shoks and they performed well but the Stingers were amazing. It was like they were what the pistol was sighted in for ...... I was making consistent shots that till now I just hadn't been shooting to that level of skill.      Jim

red14

Do you think the Bersa 22 significantly improves your accuracy with the Bersa 380?

lauraslookout

Red, I do not have a Bersa 380, I have a Sig P232. I know several folks here do have a Bersa 380 from past posts. The best I can say is each trip out the Bersa and I get better aquainted and do better. The trigger isn't bad or else I wouldn't be nailing the small targets I typically shoot at ..... I can remember with my single six I couldn't hit the broad side of the barn until Louie taught me to lighten the spring. Even now I'd say the Bersa trigger pull still has a slight edge on my single six. Like my Beretta the Bersa likes and performs better with the faster ammo. I truly am satisfied with it and enjoy it. And toting it (11 rds fully stoked) and the Beretta 21A (8 rds fully stoked) I feel well armed when they are loaded with CCI Stingers without being weighed down. Jim

ed69

Bersa must have made major improvements over the the last 20 years.That was the first carry gun I bought.It never could run more than 3 rounds without a stove pipe or fail to feed.The slide rails literaly ate themselves to death and the gun was dead junk in under 500 rounds.Bersa would do nothing for me because I got it from a pawn shop and was not the original owner.

Same thing happened with an Auto Ordinance 1911.But all this happened 20 years ago so maybe both companys have upped their standards.

lauraslookout

Well Ed, I can't speak to what their quality used to be but so far the one I own seems to be doing well. I have noticed over the past several years most of the "Name Brands" have sure been letting their quality take a swan dive. Just my humble opinion. Jim

ed69

I've noticed the same thing Jim,it's sad to see how far some of them have fallen.

lauraslookout

Ed , as a point of example I have had a life long love for Walther PPKs .... a James Bond Fan, yes, but mainly because I have small hands and the PPK/S model feels like it was custom made for me but for the life of me I have never had one that I found reliable .... jamming all the time, wouldn't feed hollow points  EXCEPT one and it was a PPK model (shorter grip) and to me the recoil of a 380 in it was a little stiff with the shorter grip than the PPK/S which were the other models I had and seemed lighter on the recoil ..... the longer grip distributing it better I guess. Anyway, the Bersa costs half the amount of a Walther and has performed much better for me. Jim

grayelky

I have yet to shoot a Bersa, but have RARELY been without one in my shop. They sell well, and, only one customer has come back and complained about anything. Once he cleaned and oiled his Thunder 22, he said all was well. In handling them, you cannot tell a .22 from a .380 without looking at the hole in the barrel. I cannot belive the 22 would not make a perfect companion for anyone owning a .380. I suspect 100 rounds of .22 and 50 rounds of .380, and your brain would think you had shot 150 of .380!
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

kevininpa

I have the FireStorm version of your Bersa. And I also found it to be great practice for my 232SL. My FS22 is my "dogwalkin'" carry. I live rural and don't need much more than a .22 in the immediate area. My FS22 has been in my possession for over five years and the only problem I ever had was ammo related (Rem bulk, I don't even use the stuff anymore). It goes to the range every time as a warmup for the bigger calibers. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

As you can see, I actually had this membership for awhile. But since I no longer have NAAs, I kinda lapsed here. Thinking about getting a brace of BWs for the wife and I, so I'll be lurkin' about some. NAA really has a lot of new stuff since I had one! There's probably going to be more than just those two purchased.

lauraslookout

Kevin, I do enjoy it a lot. It goes with me each shooting session and like you it gets carried a lot for "dog walking". I like that it and my Sig P232 share the same holsters. LOL, you ought to see my dog walking gear belt (for night use) : leather belt, flashlight in holder, double magazine case, handgun (spare one in pocket) and a fixed blade knife. I don't plan on finding myself wishing I only had ............... to get the job done. Overdoing it? Or just well prepared? Jim

RogueTS1

Just well prepared in my book Sir.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.