Change I'd Like to See re. Holsters

Started by Honky Tonk Man, August-11-18 04:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Honky Tonk Man

In Honky Tonk Man's "Perfect World" there would be a thread that shows pictures of all the holsters Rick and his customers have posted.  The list keeps growing, but the pictures are scattered throughout this whole site.  It would be a big time saver for anyone looking for a custom holster.  desertgunleather.com  website is fine, but doesn't show all the custom thread colors, spare cylinder, speed loader options, laser etching by Bigbird,etc., etc. that they offer. There needs to be one place we can go to see all available. 

Don't get me wrong.  I like my holsters from El Paso Saddlery, Galco, DeSantis, Simply Rugged, etc., but they don't cater to the NAA market like Rick does.  Try calling any of them and order a overall pocket holster for a .22 short mini with a certain color thread.  Only one place I know will cater to this crowd, and I think he deserves a place we can all go for reference. 

Absaroka Kid makes some fine holsters as well, and photos and comments by him or his fans would be welcome too.  I don't believe he's a member here, or at least an active one, but his satisfied customers could show us what he offers. 

I wish I made a folder for all the pictures like Uncle Lee did, but I didn't, and now it's almost too late.  It would take days to go thru all the threads and posts finding it all, and it wouldn't include all the comments and suggestions. 

As one of your newer members, maybe I'm all wet?  Would there be any support for something like this, or is it just me?  Interested in any of your thoughts and suggestions.  Rick?  Not even sure this is posted in the correct Category.  (Admin feel free to move it if not) 

One problem I see with my idea is when members and lurkers see what's available; the wait time might grow longer.  DGL might have to expand to keep up with the demand.  One day we can all reminisce how we were customers when it was a little 2 man operation. 

Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

billmeek

Does this help?

All of Ricks posts that have attachments:

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=8020

And the same for uncle_lee:

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=775

To view this for any member, click on the user's name, click 'Show posts', and then click on 'Attachments'
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Honky Tonk Man

Most helpful Bill.  Thanks!!  This will do just fine.  I spent a few minutes poking around it, and found several holsters that I missed.  Now I need a "Go Fund Me" page for new holsters. 

KEN AR

Well if Rick gets covered up and needs to expand he would not have a are time finding help.  Heck he has several of us stopping by now on a regular basis. Just put us on the time clock!

I think if everyone knew just how much time goes into one of his holsters they wold realize what a bargain they are.
From cutting the leather form to shaping and molding and then the edge trimming and polishing then the edge painting.
Back to final shaping and molding to make certain it is a perfect fit. The final edge polish is done on a wooden spindle on a drill press.  Not a process to rush but a finishing touch others do not do.

I have watched him do all of these and I'm here to tell you he does not rush it and will keep working on it till it makes him satisfied.  Now this does not count the time to do the stitching much of which is a double row style to make it last even longer.
Yes it even adds time to it when he has to change the thread out for each one with all these custom colors people ask for.  NOTE: He does have a LOT of different colors. 

Once you learn why each little thing is done and then you compare to others out there it becomes very clear why Rick is one of the best.  Many other makers leave a rough edge or stitching that is very minimal.  Rick went out and bought a new stitching machine for doing the smaller lighter leather projects to make certain it did the best job possible on the tighter areas.

Maybe I need to go by with my GoPro camera and follow him though some of the operations.   
It is amazing to watch one come together!
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

Honky Tonk Man

I for one would love to see that Ken.  I've made a few holsters, sheaths, and axe head covers.  My stuff looks pretty crude compared to Rick's but it is fun.  I just use a hand held Speedy Stitcher.  It's a long process compared to having a stitcher machine.  I have a device that looks like a little spur with a handle.  I roll that on the edge to keep the stitches even.  After marking them, especially if there are several layers, I drill a hole for each stitch with my drill press.  The whole process probably takes 10 times as long as it does for Rick.  If nothing else, my attempts make me appreciate the work and care that go into his holsters.  What I really need is a film on how to grow money trees.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Stitcher-Leather-Fabrics-Additional/dp/B06XJ1ZN6V/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534246270&sr=8-3&keywords=leather+stitcher

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on August-11-18 04:08
In Honky Tonk Man's "Perfect World" there would be a thread that shows pictures of all the holsters Rick and his customers have posted.  The list keeps growing, but the pictures are scattered throughout this whole site.  It would be a big time saver for anyone looking for a custom holster.  desertgunleather.com  website is fine, but doesn't show all the custom thread colors, spare cylinder, speed loader options, laser etching by Bigbird,etc., etc. that they offer. There needs to be one place we can go to see all available. 

Don't get me wrong.  I like my holsters from El Paso Saddlery, Galco, DeSantis, Simply Rugged, etc., but they don't cater to the NAA market like Rick does.  Try calling any of them and order a overall pocket holster for a .22 short mini with a certain color thread.  Only one place I know will cater to this crowd, and I think he deserves a place we can all go for reference. 

Absaroka Kid makes some fine holsters as well, and photos and comments by him or his fans would be welcome too.  I don't believe he's a member here, or at least an active one, but his satisfied customers could show us what he offers. 

I wish I made a folder for all the pictures like Uncle Lee did, but I didn't, and now it's almost too late.  It would take days to go thru all the threads and posts finding it all, and it wouldn't include all the comments and suggestions. 

As one of your newer members, maybe I'm all wet?  Would there be any support for something like this, or is it just me?  Interested in any of your thoughts and suggestions.  Rick?  Not even sure this is posted in the correct Category.  (Admin feel free to move it if not) 

One problem I see with my idea is when members and lurkers see what's available; the wait time might grow longer.  DGL might have to expand to keep up with the demand.  One day we can all reminisce how we were customers when it was a little 2 man operation.
Well..... Now I'm "Blushing like a Spring Bride" lol!!!  ;)   Thank you! This is a huge compliment!  :) :) :) :)

There are a lot of really good Holster Makers out there.  The difficulty is finding one amongst the "not really good yet" makers without going broke and having a drawer full of holsters you don't like.

The NAA Forum members are all really good to me and I try to cater to the needs and wants for this group. 

Those ideas reach past this group when people see images from the DGL website and purchase a holster!

Not every idea is do-able/make-able but if the idea is solid and I can make it for them, I'm all in!

Most of the "Custom" items and work (laser stuff, to many thread colors, custom tooling, etc.)  I keep off of the website and only do them for the Forum members, friends and a few great customers. This keeps peoples choices within parameters I can produce quickly.  If you give "web shoppers" to many choices, they make none.

As far as getting to be a "Large Company"  I don't see it.  I intentionally stay small enough to service people personally, pay the overhead (we have a "Shop Front" in an industrial area by the Deer Valley Airport in Phoenix),  buy materials, tools and equipment, and pay ourselves a little.

Galco is down the street from the shop.  They deliver 42,000 holsters a month and treat customers crap not very well. If you show up at their shop. They hustle you right out and tell you they cannot help you, "Go to a Dealer".   Well, not many small-ish gun shops in the area can afford to stock 1000 holsters or more.

Anyway... If you want pictures, send me a Memory Stick, Thumb Drive, whatever the kids are calling them!  I'll put holster photos on it for you.  There are even some video's  I've done of stitching and the wet molding process.  Thats better than Honky Tonk Man's "Perfect World"!! lol!!

Quote from: KEN AZ on August-13-18 22:08
Well if Rick gets covered up and needs to expand he would not have a are time finding help.  Heck he has several of us stopping by now on a regular basis. Just put us on the time clock!

I think if everyone knew just how much time goes into one of his holsters they wold realize what a bargain they are.
From cutting the leather form to shaping and molding and then the edge trimming and polishing then the edge painting.
Back to final shaping and molding to make certain it is a perfect fit. The final edge polish is done on a wooden spindle on a drill press.  Not a process to rush but a finishing touch others do not do.

I have watched him do all of these and I'm here to tell you he does not rush it and will keep working on it till it makes him satisfied.  Now this does not count the time to do the stitching much of which is a double row style to make it last even longer.
Yes it even adds time to it when he has to change the thread out for each one with all these custom colors people ask for.  NOTE: He does have a LOT of different colors. 

Once you learn why each little thing is done and then you compare to others out there it becomes very clear why Rick is one of the best.  Many other makers leave a rough edge or stitching that is very minimal.  Rick went out and bought a new stitching machine for doing the smaller lighter leather projects to make certain it did the best job possible on the tighter areas.

Maybe I need to go by with my GoPro camera and follow him though some of the operations.   
It is amazing to watch one come together!

Thanks for the kind words Ken!

I should sit you down and have you do some tasks! I forgot you have some leather work experience! 
Be careful, I have to pay you in holsters for guns you haven't bought yet!!  A part time side job with me may cost you a bunch of money!   ::)
There goes that 401k! lol!!  ::)

I have a GoPro Hero 6 and have done some recording.  I need someone to work with me on editing.   But having someone else do some recording would really take some pressure off of doing both the work and the recording.   ;D

"Cargo Shorts Pocket Holster with Speed Strip Snap"  Take one... and... Action! Think about it!!

(The Cargo Shorts Pocket Holster was Kens idea!)
I have the bugs worked out of the building part,  now it's up to Ken to make the "Plug" for molding the speed strip pocket!   ::)

Swimming Pools, Movie Stars...... 8)

(Rick)   "I'll have another seltzer water please" "What time is lunch?" "My hair is a mess, where is that makeup person!"
(Ken)    "Shut up and make the Holster!"
Rick Jorgenson

KEN AR

Well the out takes would be great on this film!  :)

You are right that job would cost me in so many ways...

Working 7 days a week right now and there has not even been a hurricane.  Time to change jobs.
RevisionCV.com Grips

Honky Tonk Man

I have the popcorn maker standing by...

Warthog

In the name of NAA Thread drift, where do you guys and gals find the Speed Strips for the 2 Magnums?  I have some for the 22LR but they don't fit the Mags.... :o
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Warthog

Well, OK, looks like LR in the strip but I will see Honky Tonk Man, thank you
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Honky Tonk Man

Trust me on this Warty..

Warthog

OK, I have ordered them and will see how it goes, thanks again HTM.
-Albert Einstein

KEN AR

Well for you Bug Out types that HAVE to have the Orange Quickstrips you can go direct to Tuff Products for both the LR and the MAG in either Black or Orange!

www.tuffproducts.com

My vision of the Ultimate Cargo Pocket Holster has the Orange thread and the Orange Quickstrips!

Ken AZ
RevisionCV.com Grips

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: KEN AZ on August-14-18 07:08
Well the out takes would be great on this film!  :)

You are right that job would cost me in so many ways...

Working 7 days a week right now and there has not even been a hurricane.  Time to change jobs.

I have a BAD Idea!!   Retire now!!

Take a lump sum that they will give you, buy a sewing machine and a side of leather and make holsters! lol!!

My shop can be the place for us old Insurance Adjusters to go and work out our remaining days! 

Lets do it!! lol!!

Your wife is going to hate me isn't she......   ;D
Rick Jorgenson

KEN AR

Well remember I'd have to sell the house and move closer.

Not a bad offer! I do want to do something fun when I retire.
RevisionCV.com Grips

Ruger

Honky Tonk . . . good to see you find value in Maxpedition.  I have a number of pieces from them; all the original style.  Just don't like the new material or look.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Honky Tonk Man

Quote from: Ruger on August-15-18 08:08
Honky Tonk . . . good to see you find value in Maxpedition.  I have a number of pieces from them; all the original style.  Just don't like the new material or look.

Same here Ruger.  I have quite a bit from their old school line, but not digging the new look.  I wonder how it's doing for them?  They seem to be "all-in" on it.  The older stuff is indestructible. 

Ruger

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on August-15-18 09:08
Quote from: Ruger on August-15-18 08:08

Same here Ruger.  I have quite a bit from their old school line, but not digging the new look.  I wonder how it's doing for them?  They seem to be "all-in" on it.  The older stuff is indestructible.

Yeah, they seem really into the new non-tactical look.  But I like the molly strips on the outside.  I used them for all sorts of things.  But I do have quite a few items: nice Malaga Sling Pack, two (2) of their travel duffels, multiple water bottle carriers (two hooked together that make a fine small over the shoulder pack), of course the holster and magazine options, different clips, molly straps, wallets, and a great battery pack that I use for my mini (strapped to the sling bag strap, held at my chest).  I went hog wild when I first discovered them.  and yeah, I wonder also how the new line is coming.  I hope they don't discontinue the old original line, 'cause it would be expensive for me to buy up all the other stuff I think I would be sorry I didn't get!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

miker

Tip for picture-hunting... use Google but direct it to just this site:

google "holster site:naaminis.com"

and then click on "images" to get a big matrix of all the pictures. You would still have to click on and save the ones you like individually.

miker

Honky Tonk Man

That worked great mike.  Thanks!  I usually use duckduckgo.com for my searches because they don't track you.  I used the same thing you recommended, and it turned up plenty of holsters for minis, but almost no Desert Leather models.  Google on the other hand, had mostly Rick's stuff.  Any idea why? 

Thanks again, very helpful!

billmeek

Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Honky Tonk Man

Quote from: billmeek on August-16-18 09:08
Because DuckDuckGo uses Bing for it's search.  Compare the results:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=holster+site%3Anaaminis.com&t=hi&iax=images&ia=images

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=holster+site%3anaaminis.com&FORM=HDRSC2

Interesting Bill.  Ixquick.com,  another private search engine has a different assortment than the others.  I guess if you really want to find something, check them all.  Thanks

Uncle Pepper

I found Rick by accident on the web about a week before my Ranger 2 came in.  I ordered two Holsters for my Black Widow and just today ordered one for the Ranger with the speed loader.  I have loved good leather for many years being an old fart, and Rick does really nice work.
Live long and shoot straight.

Uncle_Lee

Thanks Uncle for the beautiful pictures..

Welcome, It is good to have more Uncles on the forum.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Uncle Pepper

Your quite welcome.  It's nice to be back.  I'm from the old mad batter Holster days and forgot how to get in lol. See you soon
Live long and shoot straight.