Anyone tested cci quiets out of mini?

Started by riadat, December-11-18 14:12

Previous topic - Next topic

riadat

Title says it all.

I was wondering how loud those would be, velocity, penetration, etc.

How about 22 shorts in a mini or cbs or any of the other stuff.  Something less noisy than high velocity 22 lr, wondering how much velocity loss you would get from various loads which were quieter.

Warthog

Well, I can't test velocity.  I have fired a bunch of CB's out of my Minis.  Seemed to work pretty well without a lot of key-holing and were pretty accurate relatively close in.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

billmeek

I have some CCI Quiets in-hand.  When I get time, I'll grab you some ballistics numbers (velocity) from the Pug compared to a few other types of ammo so you can compare directly without worrying about environmental factors. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

riadat

Quote from: billmeek on December-11-18 14:12
I have some CCI Quiets in-hand.  When I get time, I'll grab you some ballistics numbers (velocity) from the Pug compared to a few other types of ammo so you can compare directly without worrying about environmental factors.

Hell yeah, you're the man.

linux_author

don't have ballistics, but have fired Colibri, 'Quiets,' short CBs and everything else up to Stingers...

they're all fun!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Dinadan

For my plinking, 90% of the time I shoot CCI Quiet LR or CCI CB Short. The Quiet LR is less loud than Mini Mags or Velocitors, but I would not call it quiet out of a Mini. The CB Shorts are pretty quiet, compared to the Quiet LR. It might just be my guns, but it seems to me that the CBs keyhole more than fast LR rounds. I have not kept records to make a real study, that is just my anecdotal observation. The most quiet round I have used is the Colibri. It is just primer powered. All of them are fun to shoot, and with me shooting freehand, I cannot say that one is more accurate that the others.

Regarding velocity or penetration, I have never been concerned about that with the quiet ammo. If I want velocity and penetration I use Velocitors. The low power stuff is just for fun plinking for me. Still, if anyone wants to post some numbers, it would be interesting to see just how the quiet stuff compares to full power rounds.

bill_deshivs

Nothing is particularly quiet out of a mini revolver.

Canoeal

Try CCI Maxi Mag HP+V 22 mags. Now that is loud!
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

smokeless joe

billmeek

22 mag segmented 30-grain hollow points with a stated velocity of 2200 fps at the muzzle from a rifle. 

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0059
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Warthog

Bill, I like those.  I did some simple water filled milk jug tests with them, they separate well even in a Mini.  I thought it was pretty cool the three segments also went in different directions which I thought would be a good thing in a SD situation. 8)

How could I tell they went in different directions?  Well, I could see them from where I was standing and see the bubble trails they left before all the water drained out of the jug.  Maybe some day when I get rich I will try some gel.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

redhawk4

Quote from: bill_deshivs on December-11-18 18:12
Nothing is particularly quiet out of a mini revolver.

Always plenty of muzzle blast with the short barrels
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card