Pricing in my area

Started by kpla51, December-31-18 16:12

Previous topic - Next topic

kpla51

So Im new to NAA guns and just bought my first one yesterday which was a Pug and I have fell in love with it. There are only a few shops that sell these in my local area and there prices seem way off. I paid $319.00 for my PUG which doesn't seem to far off from retail. I went to buy another one today and had my eyes set on a 22r/22 Mag with a 1 5/8 inch barrel. I found 1 in a shop new with black rubber grips but they wanted $309.00 and another one used in another shop for $299.00. From what I see online they go for 250-280. Would it be crazy to spend that much on this model or is that what they sell for with two cylinders? Any advice is strongly appreciated!

And for the used one its at a pawn shop, what would be the max someone should pay for that model? All I can do is throw them an offer and see what they say.

Honky Tonk Man

First of all, welcome to the forum klpa51.  Sounds like your doing your homework.  I've often found better deals for the minis online.  I look at my LGS first, but they don't carry many if at all.  One thing to keep in mind when you see the low internet prices is that they don't include any transfer fees or shipping costs.  If you add that to their price, things look a little different. 

Buds has your Pug currently listed at $309 for tritium sights, and $293 for the white dot sights.  Add transfer fees to that.  They want $352 for the 1 5/8" combo.  I don't think your dealer's prices are out of line.  Not sure what used minis are going for?

Send a picture of your Pug if you can.  We like pictures.
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Warthog

Welcome klpa51!!

I haven't bought a firearm of any sort for a while, I tend to use my LGSs.  There are two nearby that I use, none carry NAA Minis, I usually either ask them to do it or do it myself at the one shop which allows me to use their FFL.  Then they call me when it arrives, I also call them telling it is coming, and off we go!

I do remember buying a ported PUG with tritium front sight though recently and it was pretty close to what Honky Tonk Man says the one he mentioned was, but that was a while back.

Other than the Ranger II, I haven't bought a Combo in a long time, nor have I done much looking, I have pretty much what I want now, though I am sure to get more as I go, they are a little addicting. :o
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

kpla51

My pug is the one with the white dot not the tritium sight. I am happy with the pug and even if I paid a little over they seem to be a little harder to come by then the standard ones. I guess I assumed gun shops would sell at the same price as online, maybe places like Buds uses low prices to attract customers that are unaware of high transfer fees.

The 22lr/mag combo for $309.00 does have the black rubber grips that I like but I cant find the specific model anywhere.

billmeek

Quote from: kpla51 on December-31-18 16:12
...and had my eyes set on a 22r/22 Mag with a 1 5/8 inch barrel. I found 1 in a shop new with black rubber grips but they wanted $309.00 and another one used in another shop for $299.00.

New 1 & 5/8 inch barrelled combo (22LR and 22 Mag) with rose wood grips for $233.30 shipped:

https://tssoutfitters.com/shop/naa-22mc-22-magnum-rosewood-grip-with-22-lr-cylinder-single-22-winchester-magnum-rimfire-wmr-1-6-5-rosewood-stainless/
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Warthog

kpla51, transfer fees here are only $20 IF that much, some are ten.  My favorite LGS doesn't charge me any at all now.

Good Luck getting what you want to own at a great price.  I hope it all works out well for you, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

kpla51

Quote from: billmeek on January-01-19 17:01
Quote from: kpla51 on December-31-18 16:12
...and had my eyes set on a 22r/22 Mag with a 1 5/8 inch barrel. I found 1 in a shop new with black rubber grips but they wanted $309.00 and another one used in another shop for $299.00.

New 1 & 5/8 inch barrelled combo (22LR and 22 Mag) with rose wood grips for $233.30 shipped:

https://tssoutfitters.com/shop/naa-22mc-22-magnum-rosewood-grip-with-22-lr-cylinder-single-22-winchester-magnum-rimfire-wmr-1-6-5-rosewood-stainless/

So while I was in the shop I did a quick google and that is the website I saw and immediately walked away. I don't know where the shops are getting there prices, unfortunetly theres not many shops in my area. The one shop with the nicest owners have their guns sometimes a $100.00 over msrp.

billmeek

I don't mind paying a bit more locally than what I can buy on the Internet.  I prefer to support local businesses.

I won't pay outrageous prices to buy locally though.  Find a local shop you like that that does transfers at a reasonable price and order online.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

mrmurl

Support your local dealers.  If everybody starts buying off of the internet, that will eventually close down the local shops and then where will you be.  I understand that internet purchases are cheaper, but have you considered the fact that you pay for transfer fees and in a lot of cases sales tax, though usually there is not tax on line. After paying the extra fees have you saved enough money to really make it worth while.  If we drive the local shops out of business then where will you get your transfers done, where will you get the personal service that you now enjoy and where will you hang out on a cold blustery day.  The fact that you may save a few dollars will cost you many dollars in the long run.  When your local shop is gone then think about what happens when the online dealers raise their prices because you have no other option.  Just my two cents and something to ponder.  Have a great new year.
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

autofull

yup, go make friends with a local dealer and buy from him. ya cannot buy from the internet if all the local ffl holders close. my guy is great here in pa.

linux_author

prices will almost always be hiring at a LGS... however, i was shocked to see a NAA Ranger II under the display counter before the holiday season, so i snagged it - i would have paid $50 more considering the time and effort in researching and tracking one down...

plus, i don't mind supporting shops that give me good service (some are awful, some are mediocre, and some are creepy)...

willie
on the 'happily plinking away the day' on the Gulf of Mexico

RICKS PLACE

I bought a new in box Pug T couple months ago, local store, paid about $20 under MSRP.   Bought a Ranger II 3 weeks before Christmas, (local new in box), paid about $20 over MSRP.   Being over MSRP was very unusual for this store.  Of course, finding a new in box Ranger II in any store in this area is very unusual.
On the subject of buying local, sounds good until you think about it.  Many stores give 10% off to employees and regular customers.  All locals are subject to sales taxes while many internet buyers are not.  Many states have different sales tax amounts.  As this site is about firearms, and as I worked for a local gun store some years back, sometime local is not the way to go.  As my gun store owner/manager use to tell me, before the internet, the store set the price, now the customer tells us what it should be.   

kpla51

Maybe I came off a little harsh on my LGS. I truly believe in supporting my local small businesses and would love to do business with them. I stopped by today and their glocks were $200.00 over what Academy sports and Cabelas has them for and I believe those two stores have high prices for most guns. I am always polite when I go in and don't try to haggle them to lower their prices, they are what they are and they have been in business for a long time. I wouldn't mind paying 30-50 over retail to support a local business but when it becomes over $100-200 dollars over retail I will not.

Like I said I'm new to the NAA minis and was unsure of the true market value, everyones responses are greatly appreciated.

kpla51

Quote from: RICKS PLACE on January-02-19 17:01
I bought a new in box Pug T couple months ago, local store, paid about $20 under MSRP.   Bought a Ranger II 3 weeks before Christmas, (local new in box), paid about $20 over MSRP.   Being over MSRP was very unusual for this store.  Of course, finding a new in box Ranger II in any store in this area is very unusual.
On the subject of buying local, sounds good until you think about it.  Many stores give 10% off to employees and regular customers.  All locals are subject to sales taxes while many internet buyers are not.  Many states have different sales tax amounts.  As this site is about firearms, and as I worked for a local gun store some years back, sometime local is not the way to go.  As my gun store owner/manager use to tell me, before the internet, the store set the price, now the customer tells us what it should be.

Your post is very logical, I admit I was spoiled when I was in Fort Campbell and could get any gun I wanted tax free at the PX. There are many gun shops in the local area of Fort Campbell and I believe that drove gun prices down due to competition. When I moved to Arkansas it was a culture shock in prices. I knew they would be higher but not this much higher.

PaPa K

I shop local when the oppurtunity arises, they have the model I am looking for, etc. I have a LGS I did lot's of business with and they always sold at MSRP or lower unless it was a very special or limited item and hard to get. At list, as with cars and such, the margin is already there from the manufacturer/distributor. If they sell a common item (Glock, Sig, S&W) for hundreds over MSRP they are making extra due to demand (either actual or in some cases imagined)  ;)

Canoeal

I try to go to my LGS. Here is why. When you price shop, and order on the net you are taking 1 sale away for some LGS. They stock the guns you get to handle, touch and get a real idea as to whether to buy. If you get them on the net, the LGS still has to stock those guns or go out of business. So, in effect you are causing the LGS to raise his prices, in order to stock the same guns with less sales. Then you complain about his prices and go elsewhere taking away more sales.
How do you expect that to end well?

The only things I buy online are the things my LGS has no interest in keeping in his stock or will not order for me (.22 mag Gold Dots or Hornady's).
That is on him because he will not make the order. (not a big deal)
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Bigbird48

I always look online find a deal I like then take it to my LGS. Every time I've done this my LGS has met or even beat the deal I found on line. I searched and searched for a Ruger SR22 and the best deal I could find on line was $280 after SXH Tax and Transfer fee's  it was $330 My LGS said he sell me one for $300 out the door, couldn't beat that at that time. So always ask your LGS if he can meet or come close to your online deal. I think most would rather make a few less bucks then lose the sale all together. :)

pennsy

My opinion only but LGS and internet seller are two different animals. I'm pretty sure the internet sellers work on a lesser margin but rely on volume . So while a LGS may match a price, I wonder if that is sustainable in the long run.

Bernie707

Buds guns has the 22 LR for $200. My usual FFL charges $50 + sales tax to run the background check and process the registration on guns ordered online. Sportsman's Warehouse sells the gun for $219 + tax and $25 for the background check and processing so my out the door price is cheaper through them. So sometimes it can be cheaper to go through a brick and mortar store.
If you're not swimming against the current you're being carried along with it.

Ruger

Be careful of not buying from the LGS.  Although we can find better prices on the internet, remember what Walmart has done to a number of different communities.  They move in, promote big, capture the market with low prices, Mom & Pops close up, Walmart moves out, those folks left travel a fare distance for services that used to be on the main street of town.

My LGS is also the site for all outdoor sports equipment, plus local advice for hunting, fishing, etc.  They are also the local place to by state licensing, and the place to register your deer.  When they can no longer make a go of it, we all will travel a lot farther for these services.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

heyjoe

i agree with Ruger and Canoeal......short term gain....long term big loss..
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today