Who uses the folding holster/grip on their LR or mag mini?

Started by Bernie707, January-10-19 18:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie707

I'm thinking of getting grip/holster if I buy either a 22 LR or 22 Mag. mini soon. They look handy to me with the option of a pocket clip and when folded out it provides a much larger grip. Do any of you use it? Some have said they tried but didn't stay with it. I see the mini as an "always gun" that I can carry wherever I can legally go with a conceal permit. I'm curious to hear from those who have chosen it as their standard holster. Thanks.
If you're not swimming against the current you're being carried along with it.

BillsNAA

I have both the LR and Magnum folding holsters and frequently use them. They are different sizes and also carry differently. The Magnum holster rides higher in the pocket and could be viewed  as a gun.  The LR holster rides deeper and actually looks more like a knife.  I tend to gravitate toward the LR. Just my 2 cents.

wero

I have one on my .22LR Mini. At minimum, it makes the gun a lot easier to hold than the standard grip. It's a really lightweight, compact and easy to carry set-up, and there's no excuse not to carry it as back-up. The best part is that you can put it inside your front pocket and it looks like a pocket knife. Just because I can carry it easily, though, doesn't mean that I often do. A gun that you have to unfold and then cock to deploy is just too slow for my comfort. In practice, I carry it as more of a novelty than anything else, whereas I carry my .32 Guardian pretty often as a deep concealment gun.

I do have a Black Widow with a fixed grip and I think that's a viable BUG or deep conceal gun because at least I can draw and cock it with one hand. Technically, you could unfold the holster grip one-handed with a flick of your wrist, as if you were opening a Benchmade Axis pocket knife, but I am not comfortable at all practicing a motion that could easily result (under stress) in me throwing my weapon away from me. YMMV. One last note about the holster grip for magnum frames: it's a lot bigger than the one for .22LR frames. The magnum holster grip is not something you're going to want to put into your front pocket. It's just too big and heavy, and the frame doesn't ride that deep due to the location of the clip.

Uncle_Lee

Welcome Bernie, to the asylum.
There are those who use the holster grip and they will show up and let you know why they love it.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

SteveZ-FL

Have used the holster grip on both my .22LR and .22WMR (both 1 1/8"). 

The holster grip has been on the .22LR for several years.  When in the pocket it is sheathed in a leather pouch to keep pocket lint (and whatever else) from interfering with the revolver in any way.  The mini comes out of the sheath smoothly when it needs to,  Also, with a little practice, one can become fairly proficient in "snap opening" the grip to full size.  I can't imagine a reason to return to the stock mini-grips.

Took the holster grip off the .22WMR and replaced it with the oversized rubber grips.  Did not see a reason to keep both set up the same way, and the .22WMR with the oversized grip fits fine in an Uncke Mike's #2 pocket holster.

Both minis get a lot of carry time, and which one goes today just depends on the mood. 

The holster grip or some equivalent grip (for me, anyway) is a necessity.   I just don't have the dexterity to efficiently manage mini-firing with acceptable accuracy just using the stock grips.  The holster grip turned the .22LR into a reliable carry.  Again, a lot of practice in drawing and snap-opening the grip (without the cylinder) is highly recommended to make this combo a reliable and trusted means of carry.
...SteveZ

"...you never need a gun until you need it badly" - from WEB Griffin's The Honor of Spies, and Victory and Honor.

Gus1759

I carry the folding grips for a while , but noticed that it slid out of my pocket a couple of times when I wore dress slacks. It worked well for me the rest of the time. I just like the oversized grips better..

Radar1

I bought my NAA 1 5/8" standard conversion model with the folding grip. I love how I can slide it in my pocket with the clip attached and have quick and easy access to the gun if needed. It secures well, yet can be pulled out quickly. I can also carry it clipped to my waistband for IWB carry if desired. The folding handle is easy to open, and provides a solid and secure grip when fired. The only downside in my opinion is the one extra step involved in unfolding it (although that is easy)
I have thought about adding another gun like the sheriff or mini-master for the extra barrel length and bullet speed, although I believe the grips with those would be harder to grab if held in a pocket holster and might print more than the folding handle. If I went to the mini master and added a folding grip, it would still be concealable in my jeans pocket clipped onto the edge of the pocket.
The fact that the handle folds to make the revolver a smaller package is one of the best selling points. I could carry my Smith and Wesson 642 but the handle is bigger and I just find myself always carrying my NAA and save the 642 for times when I wear a jacket with pockets.
Saw a video from Hickock45 https://youtu.be/R9WTwSvDP8s that says his mini wasn't shootable for him until he got the folding grip.

billmeek

Quote from: Radar1 on January-11-19 18:01
Saw a video from Hickock45 that says his mini wasn't shootable for him until he got the folding grip.

I don't believe that Greg (aka Hickok45) ever tried any of the bigger grips such as the Black Widow/Mini-Master, NAA Boot, Revision CV, or ThingMeister on his NAA pistol.  Even the Houge slip-on grips would make a huge difference in the ergonomics of the the NAA pistols.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

pennsy

Quote from: billmeek on January-12-19 01:01
Quote from: Radar1 on January-11-19 18:01
Saw a video from Hickock45 that says his mini wasn't shootable for him until he got the folding grip.

I don't believe that Greg (aka Hickok45) ever tried any of the bigger grips such as the Black Widow/Mini-Master, NAA Boot, Revision CV, or ThingMeister on his NAA pistol.  Even the Houge slip-on grips would make a huge difference in the ergonomics of the the NAA pistols.

I believe you are right about Hickok. My personal experience with the folding grip when they were first introduced was not to my liking.. To me, they changed the whole look and feel of the gun and made it much larger. Today, I could carry a LCP if I wanted something in that size .YMMV

thethreelaws

I used the folding grip for a while, and it was solid. Slower to deploy of course, but very useful. Just switched to boot grips but mostly for aesthetics.

pennsy

And boot grips look so nice without much size increase.

LushBob

Tried the folding grip on my 3-inch Earl.  Seemed OK with LRs but when shooting mags the clip on the grip really bit into my hand.  Now I'm using the BW type grip and its much more pleasant.

bbgun

I use the folders on all my NAAs.  Wouldn't use anything else for carry, even though I have a closet full of other grips etc.  I like the safe feeling of having the trigger firmly shielded.  I have learned to draw it out just as fast as any other holster. 

zburkett

I have both mini and mag with folding grip.  My constant carry is the LR.  I does not do well in slash pockets but then I carry it in a hip pocket of just drop it into a front pocket.  I only carry the Mag when I go to town and might expect more social situations.  You can take the clip off and carry it as a pocket pistol which I do sometimes in the cold when I wear a heavy coat.

gehageman

I have it on my Sidewinder and Ranger ll.    I like them at the range for  more controlled shooting. They are in Remora  holsters when carried.  ( I only use 22lr)

Bernie707

Thanks for all the input guys. I've ordered the 22 LR and will pick it up 10 days after it arrive and I've submitted the required background check which I've done  with previous handgun purchases. I think I'll take it to the range to test the stock grips to see if there's any chance I might go with them and a conventional pocket holster. If not I'll be going with the folding holster instead of larger grips to make the gun easiest to conceal carry with all clothing seasons.
If you're not swimming against the current you're being carried along with it.