Anybody ever had their mini revolver accidentally cock in a pocket or purse,

Started by Houdini, April-01-19 12:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Houdini

I carried my 22LR mini revolver in my right front pocket unholstered, hammer in the safety slot for years and never had an accidental cocking.  I have friends who have also pocket carried their mini revolvers unholstered in the front and back pockets and never had an accidental cocking.  Has anyone ever had their NAA accidentally cock, and/or discharge.  Or, have verified knowledge of someone who has had this happen?  My other half now has my mini and she is afraid it will get accidentally cocked in her purse, then have an accidental discharge.  Adding a kydex pocket holster increases the weight a couple of ounces, and the closer the weight gets to that of a 12 ounce can of Coke, the lessor her chances of actually carrying it. 

Canoeal

I use a pocket holster made of Nylon for my work carry. Never even had it come out of the slot.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Boisesteve

Not me.  I've carried a NAA mini, initially in 22LR and then 22mag, since they first came out with the safety-notch cylinder in the 1980's. Every day of my life. 99.9% of that was in a pocket holster, and the tiny remainder in an old IWB clip on holster, and I've never had one incident of the hammer getting jarred out of engagement with the safety notch, no less of it getting inadvertently cocked.
My opinion: a single action revolver with the hammer down in a safe position (either safety notch or on an empty cylinder) is the safest-to-carry of all firearms for me.  Of course the Ruger transfer-bar single actions are also very safe.
Hope this helps.  Steve in Boise 

Warthog

I use a pocket holster and have not had this happen to me.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Dinadan

I have never had a Mini accidentally cock itself.

I will note that when the hammer is in the safety notch then it takes only a very small movement of the hammer to get it out of the notch. If your wife is carrying the Mini loose in her purse I would recommend leaving one chamber empty and putting the hammer down on the empty chamber. It takes much more movement to get the hammer out of an empty chamber than it does to get it out of the safety notch.

bill_deshivs

In the dark ages, I carried a .22 short mini With the hammer down between case heads. This was before the safety cylinders were invented. Pocket carried, no holster. Carried it for about 10 years, every day.
No problems at all.

PaPa K

I have had NAAs since my Spanish Forks combo and I have carried it in the old NAA IWB holster and in my pocket w/o a holster and never had it nudge out of the safety slot. However, I only keep the gun in my pocket, no keys, change, pocket knife ect. My Pug and BW usually ride in a leather pocket holster (Thanks. Rick) and never any issues there. If she will be putting it in her purse (if it is like my wife's purse) it should be in a holster. Either the appropriately sized sticky holster or one of Rick's pocket sleeves. Minimal added weight, improved safety and protection.

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Gog

I've only had one time where I found the hammer had slipped out of the safety notch. Not sure what happened there. However, the hammer has never been cocked unless I cocked it on purpose. Any decent holster will protect against that I am sure.

Bigbird48

Hate to be the devils advocate here but what good is a mini or any gun for that matter in a women's purse. its in accessible in most cases if it needed in a hurry. OK sure there are some purses made that have a gun pocket were the gun is the only thing in that pocket and its easily reached. But come on most women couldn't find a tank in their purse without dumping all the crap out on the floor first.

Uncle_Lee

I am glad my wife is not most women.
She will get her's out of her purse before anyone could get their's out of an ankle holster if they are standing.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Ruger

I pocket carry my Sidewinder in either a Sticky Holster or homemade leather holster (that squeaks).  Somedays I carry my P238 in a Sticky.  I have never had my sidewinder hammer get cocked, nor my P238 safety move to hot.  I do check my firearm when in the bathroom or some other private private place probably once or twice a day, but have always found them to be in the condition I expected.  Just my experience.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

autofull

no, as an old saa colt guy, i know better than to trust any holster that allows any part of the hammer spur to protrude. i also always keep my thumb on top of the hammer when putting any of my pocket holsters into my pocket. i have seen pictures of the aftermath of a brain fart. no way is that gonna happen to me;.

coppertop

Quote from: tommybarrettjr on April-01-19 12:04
I carried my 22LR mini revolver in my right front pocket unholstered, hammer in the safety slot for years and never had an accidental cocking.  I have friends who have also pocket carried their mini revolvers unholstered in the front and back pockets and never had an accidental cocking.  Has anyone ever had their NAA accidentally cock, and/or discharge.  Or, have verified knowledge of someone who has had this happen?  My other half now has my mini and she is afraid it will get accidentally cocked in her purse, then have an accidental discharge.  Adding a kydex pocket holster increases the weight a couple of ounces, and the closer the weight gets to that of a 12 ounce can of Coke, the lessor her chances of actually carrying it.

If you've been carrying the NAA naked in your pocket for years, you have had one heck of a run of good luck. It's an accident waiting to happen. Invest in a decent pocket holster that covers the trigger and hammer. Also, the holstered gun should be the only thing in your pocket. Don't mix coins, keys or other items in the same pocket. It can hinder your access or disrupt the weapons functionality.

A kydex holster or even a leather holster adds very little weight or bulk. It's a simple investment to help avoid shooting yourself or someone else due to an accidental discharge. Tons of options out there from the bare minimal design to those with ammo pouches built into the holster.

Seriously... carry any weapon safely and responsibly. You may not mind the risk of accidentally shooting yourself in the foot, but I'm certain a bystander would have issues if they were hit by an AD.

bill_deshivs

I am, and most of us here are pretty experienced with guns.
I certainly don't need to be told that carrying a mini revolver in a pocket (with nothing else in that pocket) is an accident waiting to happen.
As you can see from the posts, no one has ever seen one get cocked. The possibility that one would get cocked is practically zero. These guns have been pocket carried for 40 years. I doubt you could find any evidence of it ever happening.
The thing that would most likely cause an unintended discharge is dropping the gun with a cartridge rim under the hammer.
Guns are inherently dangerous.

heyjoe

I have never read of anyones  NAA being cocked in the pocket. I have read a few posts over the years of someones NAA minis hammer coming out of the safety notch and resting on or against a rim.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

coppertop

I will say that the closest I've come is an automatic knife accidentally opening in my pocket. Not very warm and fuzzy feeling.

I also think that the odds of an NAA accidentally cocking in your pocket is minimal. But, I too have heard of the hammer being pulled back enough to come out of the safety notch. It may be more realistic for the hammer being pulled back slightly and releasing with enough force to discharge a round.

Still... even if it's never happened before why risk being the first.

Canoeal

Quote from: heyjoe on April-28-19 13:04
I have never read of anyone's  NAA being cocked in the pocket. I have read a few posts over the years of someones NAA minis hammer coming out of the safety notch and resting on or against a rim.

More likely the gun got pulled out and fooled with, and never reset in the notch. JMHO...

LHB

This was discussed a few years ago, and there were a couple of people who claimed to have had a mini cock in their pocket.   If I remember right, one of them was a mechanic, who was constantly bending and squatting, and used a holster with an exposed hammer.

Bigbird48

Like everyone else has said its pretty near impossible to accidentally cock the hammer in a pocket. Like these things are pretty hard to cock when you want to do it  ;D 

heyjoe

Quote from: LHB on April-28-19 20:04
This was discussed a few years ago, and there were a couple of people who claimed to have had a mini cock in their pocket.   If I remember right, one of them was a mechanic, who was constantly bending and squatting, and used a holster with an exposed hammer.

cock or move out of the safety notch...i dont remember reading of one actually cocking...but its possible i missed it
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Dinadan

Quote from: coppertop on April-28-19 15:04
I also think that the odds of an NAA accidentally cocking in your pocket is minimal. But, I too have heard of the hammer being pulled back enough to come out of the safety notch. It may be more realistic for the hammer being pulled back slightly and releasing with enough force to discharge a round.

Still... even if it's never happened before why risk being the first.
Good point, Coppertop!

Actually, if my wife were carrying a Mini loose in her purse I would be concerned about the hammer getting out of the safety notch and eventually winding up on a live round. Once that happens the hammer does not have to be pulled back - a good bump  on the hammer by some of the other heavy items in the purse could cause a discharge. Or just dropping on the hammer when it is removed from the purse.

Oddball

A possible solution to this problem would be to buy one of the kydex necklace holsters that are available. Get one that covers the hammer spur and comes with parachord.
You could cut use the parachord to anchor the holster to the inside of the purse or the purse strap so that it would come free of the gun when drawn. Since it's just parachord you can alter the length to what best suits your wives purpose.
I have this one. https://www.gooutdoorgear.com/ps-products-homeland-holsters-naa-mini-revolver-undercover-neck-holster-hlm037uc/797053001541/
I weighed it and it only weighs one ounce. It will not work on a mini that has blast shields, like a Sidewinder, or the longer Thingmeister grips that come up to the cylinder.