Guardian wear and oil

Started by bearcatter, June-15-19 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

bearcatter

I bought a small lot of used Guardian 32 parts a while back, mainly to get the slide release assembly, as NAA won't sell those. It's the current style and seems in good shape. The assembly includes a tiny spring and ball bearing.

The lot included a trigger bar. I had noted that the hole for the spring was very close to the edge, and emailed NAA. Margo was very helpful, and suggested I send a photo. Getting the bar out to do so, I looked at it more carefully. I compared to the one in my gun, and found the used one was very worn. Wear on the edge had put it closer to the spring hole. There's also a raised triangle at the opening for the hammer post, and it was half gone from the opening widening with use. I think it's to minimize bar contact with the frame.

I didn't send the photo, as the bar is obviously just worn out.

At any rate, the gun this part was from either got shot a LOT, or too little lubrication. Considering most eBay parts lots are from LE confiscated guns, I'd suspicion no oil. I'm always very careful to check fit and function on what few used parts I get. The other parts in this lot get little if any movement and will likely be okay if ever needed.

I'll likely just order a new trigger bar as funds permit. This issue emphasizes how important it is to keep everything well lubed !!
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

unclenunzie

I agree that no oil is likely, but for such a poorly maintained gun it would make sense that the springs would wear out and break before the draw bar and hammer surfaces. Did the lot include a drawbar spring or the FP and recoil springs?  Just wondering if they show weakness or a great deal of wear to match.

bearcatter

No FP or recoil springs, but did have a drawbar spring that looked fine, with the dark finish intact. I already have several of all these springs, from NAA, so wouldn't matter for me if the used ones were questionable. Could be that these parts aren't from the same gun. The same seller has listed another similar lot, and he may not keep them sorted with only one gun as the source.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

bill_deshivs

Springs don't wear out, as a rule.

bearcatter

The more I look at them, the more I think it's not heavy wear, just a variation in shaping the drawbar. The one in the current lot is like the one in the lot I bought. Narrower raised ridge below the U-shaped opening, spring hole closer to edge, as compared to the one in my Guardian and two new ones I've bought from NAA. Odd how something like this can really bug you.

RICKS PLACE

Trying to stay with in this thread's subject, a question.  How strong is the slide on the Guardians to cock?  Example, do any of you Guardian owners have a smaller weaker wife or do any of you have aged and weaker hands grip?  I am considering a .32 ACP Guardian and with my advanced age and much weaker grip I was wondering.  I note the weight of a Guardian (in .32 cal.) is around the same weight of what I carry now, a B/W orRanger II with a second gun, a Pug.  Thinking with a Guardian, I could go back to only packing one gun.  Yeah, I know try one at my nearest dealer, the only way I will find one at a dealer here if to order it.  Then it is mine.  An old saying in Austin, Texas, "We don't have it, but we can order it." 

bearcatter

I was in the same boat with my Guardian. Never saw or touched one until I got mine from Davidson's.

I don't know much to compare the slide racking to, having not owned any other pistols with slides except the Beretta 21A, and the bolt operated Ruger Marks. I'd say it's about equal to the Beretta, which isn't great, but you have more to get hold of on a Guardian. The 32 and 380 Guardians have different recoil springs, and I've seen several posts that state the 380 is harder to rack. LCPs I've tried in stores are harder to rack than my 32.

Since the Guardians are DAO, you're not actually cocking it, just chambering the first round.

bill_deshivs

Rick's Place-
I know this is the NAA forum, but facts are facts. The Guardian is a blowback auto. The recoil spring is rather strong.
The Guardian is very heavy for it's size.
If you are looking for a .32 acp carry gun, you can do no better than the Keltec P32. It weighs less that half what the Guardian weighs, is locked breech-hence the slide is easier to manipulate, the P32 is much thinner, but slightly larger than the Guardian. The P32  holds one more shot, also.
The Guardian is cute, well-made gun. I have one stashed for home defense, but I carry a P32. As a matter of fact, I have 5 P32s.

RICKS PLACE

Actually Bill, I have owned both, the P32 and Guardian .32.  It was many years ago, frankly, I don't remember much about either of them, started carrying the NAA revolvers which I do today.  I am considering the P32 over the Guardian.  I was never that good of shot with either of them but I don't really wish to keep carrying 2 guns. Any shooting I do will have to be a very close range anyway.   The P32, like the Guardian is not found in many stores around here, they have all gone to the mini 1911 look alikes and I have a thing with cocked and locked.  My neighbor has packed a P32 for over 20 years now I guess.  Still works, his daily carry. But, the Guardian is so much better looking.  Well, I got away from the spirit of this thread and for that I apologize.  Thanks for the answers.

bearcatter

The P-32 is plastic framed with carbon steel most everything else. Would weigh about 8 and a fraction ounces loaded. Has a rep for needing something done before it's dependable. Some part, can't remember what, seems to need regular replacement. The plastic guide rod? Firing pin?

Guardian is stainless everything except grips and mag base plates. 15 ounces loaded. Few need any fluff and buff. Mine has been perfect out of the box.

I would take my Guardian over a free P-32.

unclenunzie

So much of what has been said here is based on personal experience and it is remarkable how different those experiences are between people with the same two handguns. 

Now maybe it is because I have thousands of rounds through my guardian that I have enough personal experience with springs breaking repeatedly (in the same spot), that I don't carry it.  I do not have near as many rounds through my p32 but it is lighter yet kicks less (locked breach vs blowback), easier to handle, and generally more suited, for me, for what I want a micro 32 for.

I think if you accept the limitations of any handgun but especially one that has predictable spring failures, you can still make it work if you stick to the schedule. I still actually like my guardian, but if given a choice today with what I know from experience, I'd choose differently.   If you use yours for carry, I would not go past 1000 rounds without changing the FP and drawbar springs, and better at 500.  For a while I did that and it seems to have been ok but I felt like I was paddling upstream if you know what I mean, and changed to 380 in a popular brand for micro, quick carry.