Testing the Mini-Master with 22LE vs. 22 Magnum

Started by Astrosaint, June-22-19 11:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Astrosaint

Greetings:

Out of curiosity, I tested the new Mini-Magnum with both .22LR and .22 Magnum on a set of single water bottles.  I finished drinking the water (it gets hot in Florida) and refilled them to the top with well water. The two I hit with the .22LR slugs had a entry and exit hole.  The bottles did not move off the platform I set up at my range.  Water just leaked out the 2 holes.

When I fired at two water bottles with the .22 Magnum slugs, there was an entry and exit hole for each bottle but there was a 4 inch tear running the length of the water bottle with the exit hole at the midpoint.  Both bottles were knocked off the platform.

My hypothesis is that the Magnums imparted a heavy shock wave into the water and caused the 4 inch tear in at the exit point.

The .22 Magnums are good for self defense if they create a strong shock wave upon impact.

Next test will be with Gatorade bottles. 

Astrosaint

barrytheprof

I would be interested to know what the length of the barrel is on your mini-mag. I would also like to know the name and type of the ammo. If there is a way to capture the bullets after they go through the water bottles, it would be interesting to see if any hollow points had expanded.

There are some who say that with the very short barrel (1 - 1/8") there is little difference in 22LR vs 22Mag. I don't know if that's true.

I have the 1-1/8 barrel. That's one reason I got the 2" Black Widow. There's a considerable difference in velocity with a 2" barrel over a 1" barrel. I think there is a considerable difference between 22LR and 22Mag in the 2" barrel also. I've been wondering about the 1-5/8 mini-mag performance.

Astrosaint

Quote from: barrytheprof on June-22-19 13:06
I would be interested to know what the length of the barrel is on your mini-mag. I would also like to know the name and type of the ammo. If there is a way to capture the bullets after they go through the water bottles, it would be interesting to see if any hollow points had expanded.

There are some who say that with the very short barrel (1 - 1/8") there is little difference in 22LR vs 22Mag. I don't know if that's true.

I have the 1-1/8 barrel. That's one reason I got the 2" Black Widow. There's a considerable difference in velocity with a 2" barrel over a 1" barrel. I think there is a considerable difference between 22LR and 22Mag in the 2" barrel also. I've been wondering about the 1-5/8 mini-mag performance.

I have the 4" barrel mini-master.  I wanted the bullets to make the most of the powder charge.  I fired from 5 yards.

I used CCI WMR for the .22 Magnums and Remington .22LR for the smaller slug.

I could not capture the bullets but the entry and exit holes were the same size. This indicates that the bullet did not expand during the short journey through the bottles.  The CCI slugs are copper and supposedly do not expand while penetrating an object.  The Remington entry and exit holes also did not show expansion.

The tears emanating from the exit point of the .22 Magnums plus the fact they were knocked off the platform indicated a sizable impact force from the .22 Mags.

Astrosaint

Astrosaint

Addendum:

1.  The bottles hit by the .22 Magnums were knocked off the platform.  The bottles hit by .22LR stayed in place.

2.  All slugs were solid practice versions.

Astrosaint

Canoeal

This might Help with the diiferences. I have posted it once before.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

barrytheprof

Thanks Canoeal, that info tells a lot.

Astrosaint

Greetings:

That short barrel is a tradeoff between having a firearm that fits into a front shirt pocket and having an adequate slug velocity out of a barrel.  A .22 Mini-Magnum is not a shirt pocket gun.

Astrosaint

Canoeal

i don't use shirt pockets. My 22 mag BW fits in either the right front or right rear pocket just fine. Sticky, DGL or homemade holsters. Sorry pictures are older grips...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Uncle_Lee

The older grips are good looking also.
Pictures...
Thanks.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

RICKS PLACE

Looking at all angles, NAA has made it difficult to choose the best EDC.   For myself, anything shorter than a 1 1/2 barrel is a waste of time.  Anything longer than a 2" barrel cuts down good concealment.  My thoughts are between the 2" B/W and the 1 1/2"  Ranger II.  Both hide well, R II is faster reloading.  No doubt, my B/W is the most accurate and should have slightly better ballistics.  Having been shot at, I would say forget a fast enough reload with either gun in combat.  That's why I also carry the Pug.  I think NAA would have been much better off to make the Ranger II in a 2" version to start with and put a decent front sight on it.  While I am packing my R II (and Pug) for EDC at this time, I keep having a nagging thought that the 2 " B/W may be still be the best all around carry piece in the entire NAA stable.   

Texduk3

"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

barrytheprof

I find myself switching between the 1 1/8 mini mag and the BW. I can totally forget the smaller one's in my pocket. The BW still conceals nicely in the pocket, but I know it's there.

I use small holsters that release the guns easily, with no reload pockets.  It takes up less pocket real estate that way. I keep a wad of keys in the same pocket, arranged so that it holds the holster upright, yet lets it rotate about 45 degrees when I sit. There are pics below, but the lighting is off, making everything look kind of golden. I probably should have reshot them with flash.

I normally don't carry reloads, but when I do, I carry another cylinder with a rubber chair leg protector over one end to keep the cartridges in the cylinder. It doesn't take up much space in my other front pocket, and should make a reload a bit more reliable in a stressful situation. Right now I have to use the 22LR cylinders as the reloads, but eventually I would like to get an extra 22mag cylinder for each model.

Bigbird48

putting anything other then your gun in the same pocket is just asking for trouble :(

barrytheprof

Dinadan

Quote from: barrytheprof on June-30-19 20:06
While it's in a holster?
In my opinion, yes even if it is in a holster. Of course it could be argued that my opinion is worth what it costs. I use pocket holsters that pretty much fill the pocket, then find other pockets for the rest of my stuff.

Bigbird48

yes even in a holster. If your holster doesn't hold the gun in the proper position in your pocket then its time to get the right holster.  :)

barrytheprof

Thanks all. It's news to me.

I'll have to rethink my pocket system. And here I thought I had it all figured out. Go figure.

RICKS PLACE

As usual, The BigBird is right on.  I get reminded daily that only the gun (yes in the holster) should be the only thing taking up a pocket. (As is in the right hand pocket.)  I carry my Pug in my left jeans pocket in a small wrap holster that I made.  No photo, Uncle Lee, I don't anyone to see my un-handy work.  I also have my car/house/whatever keys in that pocket.  I have got the keys on top of the holster during  carry and it would be pure folly to try to get the gun in a hurry.  Of course, the Pug is only for a NY reload so unlikely I will need it in a hurry.  If I have not found cover before I need the reload, my bad.

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

barrytheprof

Quote from: Bigbird48 on July-01-19 11:07
yes even in a holster. If your holster doesn't hold the gun in the proper position in your pocket then its time to get the right holster.  :)

Okay, so I have two front pockets. One for the NAA and one for the Samsung. The problem is where to put the keys. Putting keys in with the Samsung is not reasonable. It's worth 3 or 4 NAAs. Now it seems that putting the keys in with the NAA is not good either. What to do, what to do.

Hey! How about a holster for the keys? Now I can keep them with Mr Samsung.

Where there's a will there' a way.

Bj

Sounds like selling points for cargo pockets too.

barrytheprof

If I had cargo pockets I'd probably start a shipping business.

Astrosaint

Greetings:

I corrected the typos I left.

For the keys I carry (I have a number of them), I have two hooks that go onto my belt loops.  It helps with access when I have to open and lock door where I work.  In the pockets, I keep a Swiss Army style tool set, wallet, phone, a mechanical pencil, the Mini-Master, extra ammo and a cylinder inside a medicine bottle, a small note pad, and a micro-stapler.  When at work, I have to keep the Mini-Master and the medicine bottle at home because it is illegal to carry those to work.  Cargo pants are great !

I hope my students keep the 9mms and other firearms they occasionally carry stored out of sight and never use them  :(

Astrosaint