Another new Gun (New to me anyway) Taurus PT .22

Started by Rick_Jorgenson, June-25-19 07:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_Jorgenson

I build Holsters for my Gunsmith and when he gets something "odd" or a .22 he brings it me.  He was pretty sure he hit a home run with this one......"odd AND a .22!" lol!!

We did some "Horse Trading" and I ended up with this Taurus PT 22   I though, "What the heck, it's a .22" 

So I started looking around at reviews and you tube reviews and most reviewers thought it worked pretty well.  I haven't taken it to the Range yet but I'll build a couple Holsters for it and "trot it out" to the public at least around the Holster Shop for a couple weeks!

Appreciate any comments from anyone that has one or had one in the past.
Rick Jorgenson

miker

A friend has one, it's quite reliable. His is the older model. Great fun gun if you don't mind the long trigger.

I don't see it as a defensive piece because .22 means higher dud potential, and with a tip-up you can't easily move to the next round - usually no extractor, and the slides are small and tough to pull back.

But heck, a 22 is always fun!

autofull

i owned a few of the older ones and they fired and shot great, i like yours rick. i hope yo do too.

smokeless joe

I've looked at them at the gun shows but haven't taken the plunge yet. Let us know what you think once you take a test drive . I'm thinking it could make a nice saddlebag pistol 😉

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: miker on June-25-19 11:06
A friend has one, it's quite reliable. His is the older model. Great fun gun if you don't mind the long trigger.

I don't see it as a defensive piece because .22 means higher dud potential, and with a tip-up you can't easily move to the next round - usually no extractor, and the slides are small and tough to pull back.

But heck, a 22 is always fun!
"Got to have some "Range Therapy" and some fun!  ;)

It should be interesting to shoot!  Mrs. Gun Leather was pretty excited to get a semi-auto but had a difficult time moving the barrel release with her thumb. So its back to the revolvers for her!

As far as a defensive gun in .22 cal. (I'm in favor or it) I haven't had any FTF's yet. But it can happen.

Quote from: autofull on June-25-19 12:06
i owned a few of the older ones and they fired and shot great, i like yours rick. i hope yo do too.
Good to know.  I think this is a knock off of a older Beretta? (I'm sure the older guns were darn nice!) Thanks autofull.

Quote from: smokeless joe on June-25-19 17:06
I've looked at them at the gun shows but haven't taken the plunge yet. Let us know what you think once you take a test drive . I'm thinking it could make a nice saddlebag pistol 😉
The gun is an "odd shape" but that seems to allow it to fit in more places/pockets (Speedo's)  :o lol!

It would fit in a saddlebag or a tool roll without any trouble.

Rick Jorgenson

Uncle_Lee

Never had one.
Never seen one except in pictures.
Your pictures are nice.
AHHHH
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

top dog

Rick,
I had one of the early ones some years back. Was super reliable and was very nice.

I kept it in the family,did not sell it but transferred it over to my grand daughter.

Top Dog

pietro

I once had a new, early, fancy, PT-22 (below) that worked wonderfully..................... until after I had put several magazine's full throught it, when it started jamming.

Knowing about the very lengthy & often frustrating Taurus warranty program, I instead got rid of it ILO dealing with a warranty repair.

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: uncle_lee on June-26-19 03:06
Never had one.
Never seen one except in pictures.
Your pictures are nice.
AHHHH
Thanks Uncle_Lee!

You do a nice job on your photos too!

Quote from: top dog on June-26-19 05:06
Rick,
I had one of the early ones some years back. Was super reliable and was very nice.

I kept it in the family,did not sell it but transferred it over to my grand daughter.

Top Dog
Thanks Top Dog!

I'll clean and lube it then put a good amount of ammo through to see if any issues come up.

Quote from: pietro on June-26-19 08:06

I once had a new, early, fancy, PT-22 (below) that worked wonderfully..................... until after I had put several magazine's full throught it, when it started jamming.

Knowing about the very lengthy & often frustrating Taurus warranty program, I instead got rid of it ILO dealing with a warranty repair.

Thanks Pietro

I'll watch for that issue.  I'm spoiled by NAA's customer service so, if anything comes up it will need to be traded off!
Rick Jorgenson

pietro

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on June-27-19 08:06

Thanks Pietro

I'll watch for that issue.

IDK if that's one of the newer PT-22's with a polymer frame, but if it is, it might work out a lot better than the one I had.

After I sent mine away, and since I liked the tip-up barrel feature, I got myself a Beretta 21a (below, with urban camo) :D

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

bearcatter

I had thought the metal frame model was the PT-22, and the polymer was the PLY-22? Maybe the name change came after the gun change.

From everything thing I've read, the polymer version is more dependable.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

RogueTS1

The Taurus models are DAO while the Berettas are DA/SA. That is the only reason I prefer the Berettas. (SAO in the case of the 950) ::)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Rick_Jorgenson

Thanks for all the info on these guns and photos.

I'm planning a trip to the range in a couple weeks so I'll give a report of how it runs.

Rick Jorgenson

PaducahMichael

I'm addicted to small guns and I find that the Berettas - 21A, 950 series, 3032 - are my favorites. I carry one of these wherever I go. Not my primary. I believe they are the best built of all the pocket pistols.

Kel-Tec P32 is ok but seems snappy to me for a .32.

I have friends who own the Taurus PT22 who love them.

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: PaducahMichael on August-18-19 20:08
I'm addicted to small guns and I find that the Berettas - 21A, 950 series, 3032 - are my favorites. I carry one of these wherever I go. Not my primary. I believe they are the best built of all the pocket pistols.

Kel-Tec P32 is ok but seems snappy to me for a .32.

I have friends who own the Taurus PT22 who love them.

Thanks for the info on these.  I'm hoping to get to the range this week and give it a work out  ;)

I will post results (remember, I'm not a great shot!) ???
Rick Jorgenson

RogueTS1

Rick; what kind of can are you running on it?  ::)  8)  ;D
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

seaotter

I have had one for several years. I like mine. It is surprisingly accurate. Easy to shoot, for a pocket pistol. It is picky about ammo.

Wumbey Goomba

I like the pocket Berettas too.

Canoeal

The web has sites, guns have sights.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Wumbey Goomba

jstert

i have a taurus pt25 ply, which runs great.  the polymer frame allows the slide to be racked, which is essential when reloading from a second mag.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: jstert on December-20-19 05:12
i have a taurus pt25 ply, which runs great.  the polymer frame allows the slide to be racked, which is essential when reloading from a second mag.
The slide on mine is really hard to manually cycle (rack)  I'll just pop the barrel and drop a round in for the second mag! lol!!

I can do it but it's tough!
Rick Jorgenson

jstert

i had a beretta 21 22lr, the ancestor of the taurus pt22, and it never got through a whole mag.  i tried different ammo and paid two gunsmiths to give it a once over, but it never became a reliably decent shooter.  my pt25ply is reliable but i haven't shot it enoughto be a ccw.  i need to lay in a stock of ammo and a decent holster 😉...

RogueTS1

Quotei had a beretta 21 22lr, the ancestor of the taurus pt22, and it never got through a whole mag.

I hear this more than a little. I have more than a few of them, both in .22 LR & 6.35mm acp, and have never had a problem with them. I must mention that I am a firm believer in polishing the feed ramp and the chamber to a mirror finish on all my autos before I consider them fit for duty. On my Berettas 21 and 950 I polish the feed ramp and chamber as well as bevel the chamber opening. Thereafter they are very, very reliable.

jstert

thanks roguets1, i wish that i could have made the beretta 21 work, it was a nice looking piece that i got new in 1985.  with more ccw permit holders out there we need more decent mouse guns.

seaotter

I bought a used one several years ago. It didn't have a manual with it, and I was shooting Velocitors thru it when the aluminum slide broke and came off of the frame. I sent it into Taurus and they sent back a new one. The frame on it was magnetic, so evidently the older models had some issues. This one has lasted more than a decade. I only shoot regular high velocity rounds as per the manual.
The only issue I have had is when I let it sit for a few months (more likely years. It's not something I carry)  and then try shooting it. When I do  the slide sticks and it jams up. Probably the lube  I am using (Federal). So before I take it to the range  I work the slide a few times, and it works just fine.

bill_deshivs

None of these guns have aluminum slides.