Guardian 32 range trip

Started by bearcatter, July-27-19 12:07

Previous topic - Next topic

bearcatter

Put another 100 rounds of Aguila FMJ through it today, making 300 total. The first 200 were issue free, and today only had two minor glitches.

First was a fail to feed, but unusual. I could see it against the upper edge of the chamber. As I tilted it to the right to look better, it popped into place on its own. So I guess I'd call it more of a delayed feed.

Second glitch was the last round of a magazine. It fired fine, then the slide came back and the case stayed on the extractor; front of the case stuck against the breech face. Guardians use the last round in the mag as an ejector, so there was no round to bump the empty. With no slide lock, I had to drop the magazine, put a round in it, reinsert it, then rack the slide to eject the jam. Doing that once out of 300 rounds isn't bad, and a bit more break in will likely cure it anyway.

Accuracy was still about 6 inches at 30 feet, which is what I've done on other sessions. I'd like to tighten that up a bit.

I also took a Bearcat, 150 rounds of Auto Match, and no issues at all.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

autofull

my two 32,s work the same. no extended rang time though as i have arthritis and shooting these two hurt.

ToddinAz

I wonder how much accuracy can improve with a proper size bullet. When I checked the ammo/bullet I used in mine it measured between .3085"- .310". The barrel in my Guardian is right at about .312" so even though I had decent accuracy with it, I think there's room for improvement. I wonder if 32 cal ammo is sized smaller to function reliably in all 32s, including European guns. I was reading that their barrels are sized smaller (.309") than the US ones are but can't confirm.

bearcatter

I've never heard anything about U.S. .32 bores being larger than European. European .32 ammo does tend to be loaded "hotter" than American; Sellier & Bellot and Fiocchi being  examples.

All my Guardian gets is Aguila 71 grain FMJ. When I first got it, I tried Aguila and Remington. Both shot equally well, and Aguila is $18 versus Remington $24. Aguila's factory was originally Remington's, so there is likely no difference in the two anyway.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

ToddinAz

Quote from: bearcatter on August-02-19 08:08
I've never heard anything about U.S. .32 bores being larger than European. European .32 ammo does tend to be loaded "hotter" than American; Sellier & Bellot and Fiocchi being  examples.

All my Guardian gets is Aguila 71 grain FMJ. When I first got it, I tried Aguila and Remington. Both shot equally well, and Aguila is $18 versus Remington $24. Aguila's factory was originally Remington's, so there is likely no difference in the two anyway.

I'll have to search through the forums again to find the info. What I was reading is the brass is thicker and the bullets are closer to .309" with the European ammo.

seaotter

The last round hang up is a well know "trait" in this type of firearm. NAA's official line is that really isn't an issue, as there is no last round hold-open. When you feed a new magazine in and rack the slide it will kick the expended round out. That said, it hasn't been a problem on my 380 Guardian.

bearcatter

Uses the top bullet in the magazine as an ejector, so when the mag is empty, there is no ejector. This is no issue for me, only had one case out of 300 stovepipe.