Front sight removal

Started by west5757, October-19-12 07:10

Previous topic - Next topic

west5757

After shooting my .22 mag mini-revolver I have decided that the front sight is of no use. To "accurately" shoot the gun I have to sight down the barrel.
Does anybody else have the same issue?
Has anybody removed the front sight?

calblacksmith

I have also found the front sight to be of limited use due to the fact that my mini has no rear sight, not even a notch with which to align to. I really do not feel the need to remove the front sight and at the close range that these revolvers are likely to be use at, no sights are going to be as much use as full sights. I have sent a lot of rounds down range with Cowboy action shooting competition. Even though my sport guns did have full and very accurate sights, the quickest way to get on target was to only use the front sight and through pure muscle memory and a lot of practice, you became quite good at hitting the target with only the most minimal use of the front sight at all without using the rear sight. YMMV! :P

rhett

I look at the front sight this way.
In a worst case scenario, the bad guy gets your mini to use against you at a distance. He uses the sight and is always off target because he does not know what you do.
Because of that fact, mine stays on.

west5757

I think if a bad guy gets my mini he is not going to be at a distance. My reason for removing the front sight has little to do with the way a bad a guy might shoot my gun if he should get from me but rather with how well I shoot it. Granted this is not intended for me to be a long distance shooting weapon but I would like to be able to consistently hit a snake or opossum should the need arise. I also enjoy shooting at a target and I always feel like the sight is in my way of sighting the gun. That being said, I will probably wait a while and keep shooting before deciding to remove the sight.

Oh...and one more thing....Does anybody else have trouble typing the verification letters???
It takes me at least 3 times to get it right.

rhett

ooppps, the complex act of accurate discharge.
gimme a break...
practice does enhance accuracy....
the worst case scenario is just that...
I refuse to share my real life experience in width (= correct)
WORDS do have power and influence..
I CCW without a permit, simply because there is no law requiring me to do so.
Again, the unlearned are just that... felons of self proclamation.....
TAX THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
haha

blitzkrieger

I modified my front sight to the point that I can accurately shoot my mini at a distance. ;)

tocsn40

my first mini ishot so much that the front site fell off
Tocsn40

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: west5757 on October-19-12 13:10
Oh...and one more thing....Does anybody else have trouble typing the verification letters???
It takes me at least 3 times to get it right.

Maybe that will go away when you finish probation.
I have never seen any "verification letters".

I just had a thought (  :P ).
Is it when you are logging in?
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

therevjay

I also find the sight of no real use. Just ignore it. i've found out the hard way with cars and motorcycles that you should never modify anything that can't be put back to stock if you decide to sell it. Original is always worth more. ;)
"I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way".....Mark Twain

west5757

Uncle Lee....The letters only appear when I try to post a reply.

therevjay....That is a good point. I can say that I don't plan on selling this little gun. I love it.

And rhett....I'm not sure how to reply to that.

rhett

Quote from: west5757 on October-22-12 05:10
And rhett....I'm not sure how to reply to that.

OK, my service side arm (.45 ACP) was horrible at the range. It shot 3 1/2 feet to the right and about 1 1/2 foot high at 25 yards. Training taught me the firearms behavior. Someone else shooting that sidearm would be off target every round without training experience.

Sheesh, even M-16's I,ve checked out of the armory were way off. (darn barrel nutz)
Might that be why Marines qualify every year?

I spend 99% of my time on my farm, which I own = NO CCW permit required.

west5757

Rhett, I understand what you are talking about with sights being off target. I own a few fixed sight long guns that take a lot of shooting to figure out where to aim for an accurate shot. However, that is not what I want from a pistol that I carry in my pocket as a last resort weapon. I don't want to think about aiming "a little low and to the right".