SNAKE SHOT

Started by OLD and GRUMPY, October-16-20 13:10

Previous topic - Next topic

OLD and GRUMPY

I played with this in the past.    I am making shot shells for .45 long colt and .45 schofield and 38/357.    The .45 is for a conversion cylinder in my 1851 navy.  I am trying 3 loads. Straight shot  150gr #9,  2  #00 buck plus shot to make weight , and 4 #4 buck plus shot.  Hope to get pics of the patterns. You have to handle the caps with care or they can crack. The most tricky part is not over crimping. It can crack the cap. It will not show but will come apart on recoil dumping shot in the gun. Because they are for the conversion I cut the powder to "cowboy" load levels.       https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=empty+shot+capsules&userItemsPerPage=24    The caps come with load data.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

top dog

O&G,

Smart move by not loading the capsules hot.  Seems that hot loads spread the pattern.

CCI seems to load theirs at about 1,000 fps,I prefer to keep mine a bit lower than that.

Top Dog

OLD and GRUMPY

The pure shot needs work. .45 Colt out of 5" barrel at 10 ish feet. See pic.  Shot the buck/shot combos off steel plates at 10 yards. Made the plate "sing".  I like the #4 buck topped off with shot.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

top dog

O&G,
That looks very nice!!!

Top Dog

OLD and GRUMPY

For snakes I think  #12 shot would be better than 9.  More pellets. 
Death before Decaf !!!!!

theysayimnotme

But far less penetration. I load .410 equivalent 45/70 shot shells with toilet paper for over powder wad & a .45 gas check crimped in over the shot.

OLD and GRUMPY

#12 is what they load in .22 LR and Mag shot shells.  They seam to work. Snakes are soft. Smaller shot would reduce the risk of getting hurt by your own shot when shooting close to your feet?  Past about 10' out I'll let them live.    I like the 45/70 idea.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

theysayimnotme

So did my Great-grandfather. My grandfather gave me his father's Trapdoor carbine & a good number of his 45/70 shot shells. They are factory shells & have a wood sabot to hold the shot. I pulled one & the shot had turned to a powder.

OLD and GRUMPY

Thanks. Got a 1884 trapdoor .  I cast and load for it.  Will try this.  A 410 will load and fire in 45/70. Will not eject. Use a rod.  Do you use 410 data?
Death before Decaf !!!!!

theysayimnotme

Yes, 1/2 oz shot & as best I recall about 16 grains of 2400. You will have to play with the amount of toilet paper to get the proper amount. I crimp the gas check in with the open part up. Mine is an 1873 but is likely a Bannerman special as the stock is obviously from a cut down rifle. No matter as the real value to me is that it belonged to my grandfather & great-grandfather. It will eventually go to either my son or grandson.

OLD and GRUMPY

Mine is a Bannermans cut down also  24". Love it.  Got it dirt cheap because someone had sanded the barrel bright to blue it. Sanded off half the value. The patina is coming back. Hung the barrel up and painted it with yellow mustard.  Scrub and repaint.  It's back to about 80%. She is dead on at 100 yards with a nice light load.-- Lee 405gr hollow base over  12gr trail boss. Easy on me and the old breach hinges.  Some of the "trap door" loads I found were monsters.
Death before Decaf !!!!!