Seecamp .32 "New to me" Looks like a Guardian!

Started by Rick_Jorgenson, March-23-21 08:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_Jorgenson

Well, this just arrived at vast Jorgenson Estate and Fun Zone  ;)

After examination...... it looks like a Guardian  :o

It's smaller than the .32acp Guardian.  Seems well made.

Any info you might have would be appreciated. 

There will be some Leather Holsters for it coming soon  ::)
Rick Jorgenson

pietro

Mine came with a Null pocket holster, Rick - but should you decide to make one for yours, it shifts/rotates a bit in my jean's front pockets.

I don't think it would rotate if the hook was made about 1/2" longer,  across the width, to better fit the pocket.

http://www.seecamp.com/

I have a several page photo copy of the owners manual, which came with mine - if you like, PM your snailmail addy and I'll send you a scopy of a copy.... ;)

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: pietro on March-23-21 10:03

Mine came with a Null pocket holster, Rick - but should you decide to make one for yours, it shifts/rotates a bit in my jean's front pockets.

I don't think it would rotate if the hook was made about 1/2" longer,  across the width, to better fit the pocket.

http://www.seecamp.com/

Thanks! I would appreciate the copy of the copy! lol!! PM sent

I have a several page photo copy of the owners manual, which came with mine - if you like, PM your snailmail addy and I'll send you a scopy of a copy.... ;)

Rick Jorgenson

bill_deshivs

No- the Guardian looks like the Seecamp.
The Guardian is a copy.

pietro

By SN, Rick, my .32 is a little younger than yours.

SN 021xxx vs. SN 023xxx

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: bill_deshivs on March-23-21 11:03
No- the Guardian looks like the Seecamp.
The Guardian is a copy.
Good to know, Thanks Bill
Quote from: pietro on March-23-21 11:03
By SN, Rick, my .32 is a little younger than yours.

SN 021xxx vs. SN 023xxx
Hopefully the "Old one" shoots well!

I won't be able to test it out for a couple weeks

Rick Jorgenson

josp

DO NOT pull the slide back with the magazine removed. The magazine supports the trigger bar spring. Common oops of new owners. Past that they can be finicky on what ammo they feed well. There is an overall length you have to stick to. They were made around the Winchester Silvertip.  Here is a link for some more info:
http://www.seecamp.com/ammunition.htm

Enjoy!!

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: josp on March-24-21 05:03
DO NOT pull the slide back with the magazine removed. The magazine supports the trigger bar spring. Common oops of new owners. Past that they can be finicky on what ammo they feed well. There is an overall length you have to stick to. They were made around the Winchester Silvertip.  Here is a link for some more info:

Enjoy!!
Thanks for the info!

Of course, I made the first major mistake of pulling the slide back  :o   Thankfully I didn't force anything and realized then I needed more info about the gun before moving on.

The link is very helpful! (also downloaded the owners manual)  It fully explains all the differences between this gun to others. Also, the ammo issue (only use hollow points) I would of loaded ball ammo at the range for test firing (a major mistake)  :o

It must be age combined with experience.... I read the instructions before moving forward with the gun! lol!

Thanks again!
Rick Jorgenson

pietro

I'm glad you got a copy of the owner's manual, Rick....  8)

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: pietro on March-24-21 08:03

I should have thought to go to the website!

I guess I need more ageing and experience! lol!
Rick Jorgenson

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: pietro on March-24-21 08:03

PM Sent  :)
Rick Jorgenson

heyjoe

now you have to get a .380 and 25 acp seecamps. there area lot of good ammo  tips and take down tips on the seecamp forum.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

heyjoe

a 3/32 brass punch makes take down much easier

ds10speed

Quote from: josp on March-24-21 05:03

Enjoy!!

What happens when you do that? That's seems really weird that any gun could be messed up by pulling the slide back without a magazine, very odd design.

pietro

Quote from: ds10speed on March-24-21 11:03
That's seems really weird that any gun could be messed up by pulling the slide back without a magazine, very odd design.

When a handgun design is reduced to it's smallest possible size, due to the lack of space there are many little pieces that rely on other pieces to function.

The Seecamp is one of the smallest autoloaders available in .32ACP; the NAA Mini plays the same role with revolvers.

ds10speed

Quote from: pietro on March-24-21 14:03
Quote from: ds10speed on March-24-21 11:03
That's seems really weird that any gun could be messed up by pulling the slide back without a magazine, very odd design.

When a handgun design is reduced to it's smallest possible size, due to the lack of space there are many little pieces that rely on other pieces to function.

The Seecamp is one of the smallest autoloaders available in .32ACP; the NAA Mini plays the same role with revolvers.

Do you know what happens to it? Does it jam up? Does it fall apart?

heyjoe

The Seecamp has a magazine safety. you cannot rack the slide or pull the trigger when the magazine is out, If you force it  you break it.

ds10speed

Quote from: heyjoe on March-24-21 18:03
The Seecamp has a magazine safety. you cannot rack the slide or pull the trigger when the magazine is out, If you force it  you break it.

That doesn't seem like a big issue, just different, thanks for the info. I had a Remington RM380 for awhile, If you left the disassembly cross pin dry (no grease) it could fall out if you tip the gun sideways when pulling the slide back.

pietro

How was the RM380 ?

It looks a lot smaller than the Ruger Elsie Pea I had/sold because it was too snappy when shot, for my liking.

Any particular reason you don't have the RM anymore ?

ds10speed

Quote from: pietro on March-25-21 15:03

How was the RM380 ?

It looks a lot smaller than the Ruger Elsie Pea I had/sold because it was too snappy when shot, for my liking.

Once I greased the take down pin I no longer had problems with the slide locking up when racking it, it was dry when new and the pin would sometimes slip into the access hole. I liked the trigger and it functioned great but it shot 7" high and 7" to the right at 7 yards, I can't stand a gun the doesn't hit where you point it.

I traded it in for a KImber that shoots dead on at 7 yards right out of the box.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: ds10speed on March-25-21 15:03
Quote from: pietro on March-25-21 15:03

How was the RM380 ?

Once I greased the take down pin I no longer had problems with the slide locking up when racking it, it was dry when new and the pin would sometimes slip into the access hole. I liked the trigger and it functioned great but it shot 7" high and 7" to the right at 7 yards, I can't stand a gun the doesn't hit where you point it.

I traded it in for a KImber that shoots dead on at 7 yards right out of the box.
That was definitely a "trade up" Dave! lol!!

That is a very nice Pistol
Rick Jorgenson

pietro

I hear ya - I went through about 7 different Old Model Ruger Bearcats & Super Bearcats before I found one that shot to the sights with the several different types/brands of .22LR I have ( I bought a few cases of .22LR, 3300 rounds per case,, 25 years ago, before all the "shortages").

This is the "keeper" 1969 BC I purchased about 20 years ago..

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: pietro on March-26-21 07:03

I hear ya - I went through about 7 different Old Model Ruger Bearcats & Super Bearcats before I found one that shot to the sights with the several different types/brands of .22LR I have ( I bought a few cases of .22LR, 3300 rounds per case,, 25 years ago, before all the "shortages").

This is the "keeper" 1969 BC I purchased about 20 years ago..

Nice Gun pietro!

The Bearcats are such neat little guns.  I'm asked frequently to make Holsters for them.  No manufacturer makes a dummy gun for them so I thought "I'll just buy one" well.... they ain't cheap! lol!! 

So, in my "caveman mind" I think, I'll start looking for one that is in "rough shape" because it will be a lot less money.... negative results! lol!

This is when I found out that Ruger's warranty work is top-notch and this keeps the guns in great working condition.
Rick Jorgenson

bearcatter

Bearcats are my favorite gun. I've got two stainless ones I bought in 2011. Got one, liked it so much I bought a second one two days later !  The serials are only 134 apart. The shoot the same. Windage is dead on, they shoot an inch or so low at 50 feet, my usual distance. Covering the bull with the top of the blade brings them dead on. I paid about $460 apiece out the door, stainless list then was $584. It's $689 now.

I put aftermarket ejector rod housings and Wolff springs on them, made them perfect. Without those stainless housings being available, I wouldn't have bought them. Then, lo and behold, a few years later Ruger started making the housings in stainless (and blued steel) instead of anodized aluminum. Still, my aftermarkets have a bit better fit and finish. Wish I could say that for the factory Bearcat grips. I've never seen them fit well. I do have two sets of Lett grips that do fit nicely. Fancy walnut and Rosewood.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

pietro

It's too bad that after Mr. Lett passed away, nobody in his family was interested in keeping the family-owned flourishing company going, so it closed (leaving Ruger high/dry for a grip maker).

bearcatter

I got my grips from Bill Lett Jr. himself on eBay. He said he was "cleaning out the attic". He had several Bearcat grips, but at the time $30 apiece limited me to two grips. Oh, he had Blackhawk grips, Single -Six, Mark pistols, everything. Maybe 50-60 sets as best I remember. It was sad to see them close. I've seen several explanations of it, some good, some bad.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport